The SQL Server Express Edition

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I am a layman and i am getting ready to setup a test environment. I have windows 7 server cd, three I4 lenovo notebooks one of these will be server and two will be clients . i intend to connect them using a rj45 cables , i will use an ethernet hub/switch. The first thing which i wish to achieve is to have DHCP so that ip addresses are automatically assigned as soon as a machine enters into the network .thereafter i will proceed to sequel server setup.

Am i on the right track. Please let me know if i am missing something .

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
That is a fine setup you are thinking of running. When you said "Windows 7" I had to look it up, I guess you meant 2007? Anyway, it sounds like you will be able to figure this all out, and if not, we are here to help.

Reaction score
That is a fine setup you are thinking of running. When you said "Windows 7" I had to look it up, I guess you meant 2007? Anyway, it sounds like you will be able to figure this all out, and if not, we are here to help.

Yes i mean windows 2007.
Thanks for your support. BTW what is WINS protocols server, is it essential to be installed on server, or just enabling DHCP will be sufficient ?

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
You didn't finish your reply, but you shouldn't install the WINS protocol unless you are using Windows versions that are older than 2000.
I am sorry I just noted that my previous reply was left complete...strange...Anyway I will now focus on DHCP as my first milestone...will let you know as soon its achieved. I look forward to exciting experience sharing (particularly with SQL Server) in the coming couple of weeks.

Thanks for your help.
Kind regards
Amjad

Reaction score
OMG it's windows 7 professional not windows 2007 server...
Now what to do.
Can we configure one laptop as a server and remaining two as it clients. All having Windows 7 professional.?

I have got a tp-link 8-port gigabit desktop switch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
following is config of my three laptops.

upload_2018-3-19_13-0-13.png

Reaction score
Hi,

my tp-link 8 port gigabit switch is connected to my laptop.
Now I need help for TCP/IP configuration...

following is the screen shot.

upload_2018-3-19_14-48-8.png

upload_2018-3-19_14-48-59.png

upload_2018-3-19_14-49-32.png

Please let me have a slight push as this is a crucial stage...

Reaction score
Thank you very much Abraham, I managed to setup LAN, now I am proceeding to install SQL Server 2012...
Why 2012? because it allows OS windows 7 Professional

Reaction score
Hi friends,

Yes Abraham ! in future I may need to get SP2. but for the moment I am happy, its great. I used ADO to create database, test created tables, test dropped tables, populated data into my tables and developed a demo and showed it to my superiors, and everyone is happy.

So far so good, but now I feel I must move towards Sequel server Admin, I want to see the physical tables I created and want to browse all those objects..
I look forward to your kind advice.

Thanks & regards..
Amjad

Reaction score
Can you please tell me how to get the command line?

I followed the following guideline but ended-up at a mysterious terrifying error message says...
Your SQL Server Installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with (Error getting instance ID from name.)

Nevertheless I am able to use my database and tables.

Please help...
Thanks a lot for your on-going support

Ask a Question