The Gadget Show: PC vs MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the gadget show yesterday? It was pretty kool, they were doing a PC Vs MAC competition, where they took the best MAC out (the G5, with its dual processors and 64 bit arciteture) and a top end PC (they didnt say the spec :S ).

The first test was to see how long it would take to set up the PC/MAC outta the box and be on a certain website. The MAC was up and running in around 7 minutes, while the PC took 28 minutes. MAC 1-0 PC

The second test was doing a special effect on Adobe Photo shop, to see which could do it faster. The PC done its an around half the time of the MAC! COnsidering that was MAC teritory i thought that woulda won. So MAC 1-1 PC

Then it was UT2004, i dont know what settings they had it on, but the mac averages at about 100 FPS while the PC rarely drop below 200 FPS. PC takes the lead (yaah) MAC 1-2 PC

Then the last test was just ridiculas. They would see how much damage/cost would happen to the PC/MAC if they dropped them off a 25 foot balcony! Now were talking about nearly £3000 worth of computers. The PC was dropped off, and all it needed was a new mother board =/ to get it started , and was fixable for £65. The MAC looked like it suffered the same fate, but getting the motherboard was another story. No PC shop was aloud to sell them one because of there deals with Apple (god knows what deal that was), so he had to ring apple, tell them he threw it off a 25 foot balcony and then got told a new motherboard would be £400! So PC takes the victory with ease with the score finishing MAC 1-3 PC.

All i can say the PC had was one of them Coolermaster wavy aluminuim cases, he didnt say what spec it was at all.

Reaction score
just proves what i've been saying for years, mac's are dead!

never used one, never needed to use one, never been asked to repair one, would never want to touch one!

the MAC is dead and was never alive as far as i'm concerned!

Reaction score
But yet, you still get these mac-e-centric users bleating about how macs are still so much better than pc's. What hogswaggle.

The one good thing I guess you can say about macs though, is they're based on UNIX. This might be why mac users declare their machines to be crash proof.

To each their own I suppose.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well most MAC's look better than PC's you can say. Especially that one with the monitor on like a stem:

beautyshot_imac_0701.jpg

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I would say that to a modder any day! (aslong as he/she is smaller than me)

I aint seen a mod in my life that looks as good as that one (tha pic above -_-) .

Ya dont really have your comp on the desk in full veiw, because there aint no room really with a monitor and speakers. So your beautiful mod has gone to waste!

That thing of beauty/art is in full veiw all the time :D.

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Wow, now that has to be one of the best mods ive ever seen in my life, PERIOD!

But my only ninggle is, where do you put a beauty/beast like that? It has to be in full veiw, no doubt! that wouldnt fit anywahere in or on my desk!

The hours that must have been put into it must be crazy. I suspect a few 80 hour weeks ;). (and it shows)

Reaction score
I presume that the Mac the bought for this "exhaustive" test was standard spec i.e. it only comes with 256meg of ram.....mmm i wonder why it took longer to apply the chrome filter in photoshop?! Games consoles are for games....I would agree with one thing about the review PCs are better for being thrown out of windows because i wouldnt let windows anyware near my machine...I take it that engine thing is a joke?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well if you watched the show, you will have known that they used the BEST mac out, so i highly doubt it only has 256mb.

As for "Games consoles are for games", pffft how can you be more wrong?

I sense someones got a little green eye because they bought a mac instead of a PC ;). Ahh well, you might be able to flog it one day, you never know.

Reaction score
green eyes...thats funny.What you should remember is that most mac users start on PCs and then move to MACs it NEVER happens the other way round.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Oh … sorry to burst your bubble Mr X, but I have personally supplied several PCs to people who are now ex Mac users.

I’m not disputing your right to use a Mac.

;)

Reaction score
Well it looks like you guys are right. Its just a case of jealousy at the superior power of the windows based system. It doesn't matter that the G5 tested may of only had 256mb of ram its just that XP 64bit and a decent setup beats OSX (OSsux) hands down.
Now stop going on MR X and just admit defeat.
Nice mod by the way

Reaction score
I take it MR Muckshifter you supply hardware for redman the development team behind "nohorn"for M***soft. Now they have finished ripping off OSX they can have thier PCs back to play with.

p.s. i would rather have a rocker than a mod

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
ooo i cant wait for Doom 3, shame all those mac users wont be able to.

lol, only playing, you will be able to, maybe put the resolution on 640x400 and wack everything to the bare minimum, then you might, you just might be able to play. (thats not a garantee though)

Reaction score
Reefsmoka man lay off the crack. Judging a computer by how good you can play games on it is a bit lame.

Mac's are crap theres no doubt, but using a PC for games is a bit of a waste.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Originally posted by machater

Judging a computer by how good you can play games on it is a bit lame.
No it's not.

...using a PC for games is a bit of a waste.
Funny that, my teacher always told me I was a waste of space... :D

I'd say a computer's ability to play games at high resolution is one of the best tests you can give it. What else compares? High end graphics? Only top end 2D cards such as a Matrox may have the edge on a top of the range grafix card from Nvidia or ATI.

Multi-tasking? Possibly. Prime 95? Crunching UD? Folding?

Don't deride PC games players as lame and tell them they're wasting their computers, first reason I bought a PC was to play Doom II. The fact I can do a few other things with it came as a bonus ;)

And yes, Macs suck ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
This is becoming tiresome …

... and with the powers invested in me I hereby ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question