The end is nigh or not ???

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Dont worry folks it wont ..(lol) there i`ve covered myself from scaremongering.

Scheduled for turn on Wednesday September 10th 2008.​

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest particle accelerator complex, intended to collide opposing beams of 7 TeV protons. Its main purpose is to explore the validity and limitations of the Standard Model, the current theoretical picture for particle physics. The LHC was built by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), and lies under the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, Switzerland.

The LHC is the world's largest and the highest-energy particle accelerator.[1] It is funded and built in collaboration with over eight thousand physicists from over eighty-five countries as well as hundreds of universities and laboratories.

The collider is currently undergoing commissioning while being cooled down to its final operating temperature of approximately 1.9 K (−271.25 °C). Initial particle beam injections were successfully carried out on 8-11 August 2008,[2][3] the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008,[4] and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008.[5]

When activated, it is theorized that the collider will produce the elusive Higgs boson, the observation of which could confirm the predictions and missing links in the Standard Model of physics and could explain how other elementary particles acquire properties such as mass.

Although a few individuals have questioned the safety of the planned experiments in the media and through the courts,[6] the consensus in the scientific community is that there is no basis for any conceivable threat from the LHC particle

so there you have it
happywave.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well that clears it up...
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Rush said:
Dont worry folks it wont ..(lol) there i`ve covered myself from scaremongering.

I take it you have carried out this litle experiment in the shed then..?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Madxgraphics
take it you have carried out this litle experiment in the shed then..?

My shed is no where near the 23km needed and as you are so light hearted about future events , i take it you have events planned for Thursday ??

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Who gives a monkeys anyway?

I've survived this far with what's been thrown at me, one more hiccup - nae bother.

Armageddon outta here :lol:

Nutters, the lot of ya's :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly, it will be fine - I'll even put bets on it :lol: If the world ends, you win a tenner - if not I do ;)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Flops
Who gives a monkeys anyway?

I've survived this far with what's been thrown at me, one more hiccup - nae bother.

ay but this is the £4b 2008 particle accelerator , not the 1968 £3 vinyl version :)

Reaction score
Rush said:
By Madxgraphics

My shed is no where near the 23km needed and as you are so light hearted about future events , i take it you have events planned for Thursday ??

Yeah that would be a big shed..Its not that i'm light hearted at all..Hey if this thing goes wrong and we get swallwed into a black hole, are we really going to know about it..?I think not..As fro planning for Thursday, erm yeah i'm having surgery on my back so i'm going to be under anesthetic for about 4 hours..So if it goes wrong Best to go wrong then and I won't feel a thing..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My twin daughters will be 20 years old on Thursday.

Anybody else realised the significance of the date?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

Do you mean 10-9-8? So when do we actually get to 3-2-1- ZERO?

Maybe that will be the day when they find the Higgs Boson and another piece of The Theory of Everything will slot into place. :thumb: Or maybe they will find six more dimensions and we will be able to step into a parallel universe. :confused:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By flops
My twin daughters will be 20 years old on Thursday.

Kids eh :) my eldest Kimberley is 19 , she had something to say also... so the particle accelerator will be postponed to full throttle until October 18th 2008 :)

you promised me a pint flops ...got 6 weeks m8 :nod:

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Lol erm Thursday's the 11th..Think Flopps was meaning sommit else

Doh!! I got the date completely wrong and then realised that it was 9/11 as some call it. What a dumbo.:blush: :p

Ah well, no-one's perfect. :D

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding, we're safe in the UK, or at least, I am. How can they just kill everyone. No I don't think the end is nigh.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
You have got to be kidding, we're safe in the UK, or at least, I am. How can they just kill everyone. No I don't think the end is nigh.

Thank you Captain Jack for that most prolific input :D

In answer to your question 'How can they just kill everone?' e-mail your nearest Al Qeda publicity correspondent for full enlightenment :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
or at least, I am. How can they just kill everyone.

The worry that a tiny number of people have is that the experiment will create a black hole. Black holes slowly devour EVERYTHING around them so the hypothesis is that the whole world will be eventually sucked into it so unless you can fly off to Mars you would be involved too. However, the black hole would later suck Mars, all the planets and also the Sun into it so there is NO ESCAPE.

So, we're ALL DOOMED !!!

But seriously, the chances of a black hole developing are infinitessimal. :nod:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
So if it makes a black hole, will we all be sucked in? Or as the gravity inside a black whole is said to be the weight of the earth per square inch, will we all.... ah forget it i have a headache.

I'm off to move to China, not even a black hole is stoopid enough to mess with them.

Cheery bye.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
gravity inside a black whole is said to be the weight of the earth per square inch, will we all.... ah forget it i have a headache.

Trust me you'd have more than a head ache..Yeah I wouldn't mess with the Chinese either..Never know what I ight get in me next sweet & sour...

Ask a Question