The day after setting up dual boot

D

DJF

I'm going to get a new desktop with XP installed. I have a copy here of Vista
Home Premium and I'd like to set up a dual boot. From reviewing everything I
can find online, I think I can handle that.

Eventually, I expect I'll migrate over to Vista most of the time. When I
partition to install Vista, I understand I'll be creating a new drive letter.
Any recommendations on relative partition sizes on a 500GB hard drive?

But ... something I've not been able to locate is whether, once I install
Vista and then install Office 2007, presumably under Vista, whether I'll be
able to access Outlook, Excel, etc. from either OS - will I be able to open
my Outlook 2007 if I boot into XP? Will one version of my browser run from
either OS?

Where should I install Office 2007 - on which drive?

I realize Office 2007 has new file formats. But if I boot into Vista and
open Word 2007, will it be able to see earlier Word files I bring over from
my old computer. Do they have to be on one drive or the other?

Thanks for advice. Also, a little encouragement on setting up the dual boot
system would be nice ... the last time I partitioned a hard drive I did it
from a C: prompt, maybe 15 years ago.

C

Clinton

You should pick up a copy of the "Officail" Windows Magazine as they have a
good article about setting up a dual boot with XP and Vista.

I wish you the best, and that the install runs smoothly for you.

W

WAW8

If I understand your question, it revolves around trying to use a single copy of Office 2K7 for both an XP OS and a separate Vista OS. Since each "OS" is considered (by MS) to be a unique installation, what you're attempting to do is in violation of the licensing restrictions

OK, so everyone will say -- why is this important

Because ... what you're trying to do most certainly will NOT work, and when it fails, could very likely trash all of your Office-related files

While you could try saving your data files on a third, shared partition, such that either OS could then access the files, nonetheless, the program files, system files, registry settings, and user setting will be unique to each OS instance. For example, using default settings, and using Outlook, your email files (.PST files) will be installed on the two different "C" drives. This means that if you read outlook mail in XP, save the mail, remove it from the server (in the process), then when you boot into Vista, you will not find the mail. Why? Because it's gone from the server and neither OS can see inside the "user" files of the other OS (not without a lot of security tweaking)

If you leave the mail on the server, then both OS's can see it -- because it's in a common place. Same would likely be true if you are able to save your Outlook mail files to a common, shared partition

Double-booting effectively wipes out System Restore. This has been documented ad nauseum -- so it's not a matter of debate. If you use third-party image backup and restore (and you should!), this is no problem. But if you don't, booting into either OS effectively wipes out ALL the restore points created by the other OS

When you boot into either OS, unless you go to great pains to hide the other OS, you will not only be able to see most (not all) of the contents of the other OS, even worse, you will be able to change the files as well. BUt if you do this, don't be surprised if, upon the next boot into the "other" OS, you get a forced CHKDSK reporting unrecoverable file corruption. I had that happen to me when I was first dual-booting XP and Vista and learned my lesson -- the hard way

In summary, what you're attempting to do carries high risk of data corruption, and in the worse cases, trashing one or both OS's. I would advise against it.

Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

M

Mark

You are so full of crap. It will work. It's one machine, so what if it's
illegal, he paid for it. He can install it separately on each partition. As
far as System Restore, it most certainly is up for debate. There are some
very simple steps to protect Restore points and only the Vista Restore
points need to be protected. The whole procedure takes about 2 minutes.
Booting into Windows carries a high risk of data corruption. Keep your lousy
advice to yourself.

Mark

Ask a Question