The batteries fiasco!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Many manufactureres of laptops are recalling faulty batteries made by Sony, it was Dell with 4.1 million batteries recall last week and now Apple comes up with a similar announcement recalling 1.8 million batteries.

Sony's quality control leaves a lot to be desired. In the past they had major problems with their digital cameras not passing the Chinese quality tests and now the axe has fallen on their batteries. Sony needs to get their act together.

I do not recall IBM having this problem since their batteries are always made by Sanyo.

Read full story here

If you are affected by these recalls you may voice your concerns here as well as provide any information that may prove helpful for others.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its a shame....Sony used to be one of the top brands, what with this and the 'Rootkit' fiasco they are rapidly heading in the wrong direction. :(

Reaction score
I just learned today that the battery pack on my Apple PowerBook is one of the recalled batteries. I bought the PowerBook almost two years ago, and haven't had any issues with the battery. I really can't complain, I get a new battery at no cost to me! :D

Reaction score
I agree that Sony are a big company with a floundering reputation. Having said that, i think a lot of companies are heading in this direction as customer service is just appalling from most companies now.

On a seperate note, does anyone know if my Sony Vaio laptop is likely to be affected?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
bodhi said:
I agree that Sony are a big company with a floundering reputation. Having said that, i think a lot of companies are heading in this direction as customer service is just appalling from most companies now.

On a seperate note, does anyone know if my Sony Vaio laptop is likely to be affected?

I did read about Sony's disclaimer and the state that their batteries in Laptops are not prone to accident. These are similar batteries to what has been supplied to Dell, Apple and others. In my opinion, either Sony is lying to save their face or has supplied less than perfect battries to the other manufacturers. If so, their future business of batteries is lost to someone else. Sony would be a loser either way, lets see what the future has in store for them and how this fiasco will unfold in weeks and months ahead.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Would you please stay on the topic? You posts are not very useful for other readers!

Thank you.

Ask a Question