Terminal services


G

Guest

we have a sql database that needs to be administered remotely by one of the programmers - is Remote desktop connection the right way to go? it works with the terminal services running on my windows 2000 server (where the sql is also running), but it seems that the programmer gets full admin access when he uses it even though i set his permissions in terminal services manager to "user". Any ideas?
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Daniel Chang [MSFT]

Are you using Microsoft SQL Server? What "administration" does he need to
perform?

--
--
Daniel Chang
Server Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!
This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.


francois said:
we have a sql database that needs to be administered remotely by one of
the programmers - is Remote desktop connection the right way to go? it works
with the terminal services running on my windows 2000 server (where the sql
is also running), but it seems that the programmer gets full admin access
when he uses it even though i set his permissions in terminal services
manager to "user". Any ideas?
 
G

Guest

yes, sql 2000. he needs to log on remotely as if he's on the machine physically. from there he also uses pc anywhere to connect to a test workstation (w2kpro) to test the db.
 
R

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

francois said:
yes, sql 2000. he needs to log on remotely as if he's on the machine physically. from there he also uses pc anywhere to connect to a test workstation (w2kpro) to test the db.
Well, if he needs to administer the db and/or SQL server installation,
that can be done remotely using SQL Enterprise Manager; there is no need
for remote control, such as via PCA or Terminal Services.

But regardless, if that's what he *wants*, you can use PCA on the server
or Terminal Services or other 3rd party tools, such as NetOp or
RemotelyAnywhere.
 
G

Guest

OK, but will using Terminal Services somehow give him full admin rights on that machine? I set his TS permissions to "Guest" but he can still run MMC and add and remove users etc. He does not have access to restricted NTFS partitions though. Is this a flaw or have I not set it up correctly?
 
R

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

francois said:
OK, but will using Terminal Services somehow give him full admin rights on that machine? I set his TS permissions to "Guest" but he can still run MMC and add and remove users etc. He does not have access to restricted NTFS partitions though. Is this a flaw or have I not set it up correctly?
Francois, if TS is set up in Remote Administration mode as opposed to
Application Server mode, only members of the local Administrators group
can connect. If it's in Application Server mode, anyone can access the
server that you allow to.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

so if a user uses TS in Admin mode he automatically gets admin rights on the machine - even if he's a regular user?
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

francois said:
so if a user uses TS in Admin mode he automatically gets admin rights on the machine - even if he's a regular user?
No, only members of the local Administrators group are even allowed to
connect.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

Terminal Services 0
Terminal Services 0
Terminal Services 3
Terminal Services 2
Terminal Services 2
Terminal Services 1
Terminal Service 0
Terminal Services 6

Top