Temp files - is this true??

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

Is it true that you can delete the following files to 'optimise' your PC:

*.old, *.log and *.tmp?

I have searched for all of the above and have found thousands. Can I get rid of them?

Obviously if this isn't a good idea, someone will tell me I am sure!!

It's spring so I thought I would fettle the computer on this lovely sunny day!!

Gabriella x

Reaction score
gabriella said:
Dear all

Is it true that you can delete the following files to 'optimise' your PC:

*.old, *.log and *.tmp?

I have searched for all of the above and have found thousands. Can I get rid of them?

Obviously if this isn't a good idea, someone will tell me I am sure!!

It's spring so I thought I would fettle the computer on this lovely sunny day!!

Gabriella x
Try www.download.com
look for
[ccleaner] its free
instal it and run, configure it and hey presto.Works for me.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Itsme!

Funnily enough I have downloaded and run CCleaner tonight and got rid of loads of stuff. The I remembered reading (somwehere) that the files I have noted above could be deleted. I ran a search and found absolutely shed fulls of stuff but before I go any further I want to check out with people who know what they are talking about. I figure that it's easy to 'zap' stuff but if I make a mistake, that could be costly!!

Any further thoughts?

Gabriella x

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
For the most part, it's safe to delete all those files.

But there may be one of two which if you delete may cause a hiccup.

Also, if some won't let you delete them, they could actually be running and in most cases (not all, but most) that's usually a bad thing.

I'd suggest deleting them all to the recycle bin, leave them therea couple of days and see how your machine runs.

If you get problems with any applications, look for the file to reinstall/undelete and reinstate it from the recycle bin.

FWIW I've always deleted those files for years now and never had a problem.

And any files that won't let you delete them can be uninstalled/deleted under safe mode, usually.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Not all .old .tmp and .log files should be deleted.
Sometimes, backups created by some programs or installations are renamed .old
.log files can contain useful history logs for programs, often useful for debugging or checking through service history.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I use Easy Cleaner which works great and also takes care of everything automagically!

The program is for those idiots who know nothing about computers, also for the other kind of idiots who think they know everything about computers. Those who know about computers already are using the program :)

I hope I did not leave anyone out, did I ? :D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

There are over 900 files in *.tmp and hundreds in the other ones. I have run CCleaner and just wondered whether to delete tmp, log and old.

I think I will leave them alone as I am the idiot who not sure what is of use and what's not.

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Quad

I have downloaded Easy Cleaner but can't get it to run. What has the idiot done wrong??

Gabriella x

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Gabriella:

You are not an idiot.

Delete the lot, evaluate system.

If probs, reinstall, don't be nervous, recycle bin provides backup, so to speak.

I'm betting, with what you've had in the past, there's some nasties in there you could well do without.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
OK Flops

Will do tomorrow.

I was being a bit 'tongue in cheek' so to speak in the use of the word 'idiot' and whilst I am absolutely sure that no offence was intended, the power of the word without personal contact can be somewhat disconcerting. Some PC forums (from my experience) are not that inclusive and whilst my experience wirh PCR does not mirror that, I remain pretty naive and without knowledge with PCs. However, I am keen to listen and learn and hope that my membership of this forum is accepted on that basis. I hope that the questions I ask are accepted with integrity or perhaps there isn't a place for people like me who may be seen as pretty useless and timewasting. I dunno really.

Thanks anyway.

Gabriella x

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
G:

We're here to help.

Don't beat yourself up.

Many people come here and just browse.

Some of those people are too nervous to ask a question.

When they see your questions, and answers given, it may help them.

So, you're creating a database, feel good about that.

Five years ago, I was asking the same questions. I got help, now I know some answers.

I still ask questions.

Nobody knows it all, we're all here to help each other. And chat a little too, I suppose ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Gabriella,

I read my post three times and realised that the joke that I wanted to crack actually turned out to be an insulting remark. I am so sorry for that, I had no intention of doing that. You are a very valued friend on the PC Review and I would never mean to harm you or as a matter of fact anyone here. I am not going to make any excuses to justify anything, except sincerely apologise for the goof up.

Anis

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

It's a new day and all is well so back to buisness with friendships intact!

I cannot get the Easy Cleaner to run. I have downloaded it a few times and then get asked whether I want to modify, delete or something else I can't remember. Please could someone have a look at the programme and advise me what to do once it's installed. I know you reckon it's OK to zap the lot Flops but there are some really big files on there, not to mention to sheer number of them so I think using a programme would be my best option!!

Off to town now but back later and will try again!!

Bye for now

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi

Re: Easy Cleaner - have now managed to run it OK and have cleaned up quite a lot!!

Thanks to Quad for the recommendation.

Kind regards

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Quad

If you read this - could you advise me???

Using Easy Cleaner I have found numerous duplicate files, can I delete them??

Thanks!

Gabriella x

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Gabriella,

Well I have deleted it on many occasions and did not encounter any problems as such. I don't think deleting duplicte files can cause any harm.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Quad

There are: 76,699,621 duplicate files showing. Does that sound right/alot/not enough?? It sounds an awful lot to me!!!!

Although there's a 'delete' button, it's not showing as active.

So my questions of the day are:

1 Do I go ahead and delete?
2 If 'yes' to the above - how do I activate the delete function???

Bye for now!!

Gabriella x

Reaction score
hold up as uve written it thats

seventy six million six hundred and ninty nine thousand and six hundred and twenty one

thats just BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZAEREEEE

and i used to hate reading big big numbers!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
I know PSD and your number work is correct, or at least that's what the programme says. It does sound alot to me!!

But what do I do with them - perhaps the correct figure should be halved (as it refers to duplicates or it may be triplicates or more - who knows???)

By the time I've finished, this machine should fly like a jet propelled kite!!

Gabriella x

Reaction score
Unless you're running a really old machine with a very small hard drive then I doubt you'll see much, if any, difference in speed and performance.

Ask a Question