telewest and vista problem.

Reaction score
hello, i brought myself i brand new toshiba laptop yesterday from pcworld.
my old pc which went just before christmas was using telewest blueyonder broadband, i cancelled the internet as i had no p.c and on getting my new one and phoning telewest to activate my account again they said they couldn't as there system doesn't support microsoft vista. so i went back to pc world to complain to no evail, does anyone on here use micrsoft vista through blueyonder broadband if so could they instruct me on how to do so.
cheers andy...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Telewest/NTL WILL work with Vista - its just that at the moment they don't supply support for it so have instructed their sales not to install for customers using Vista.

As long as you use ethernet connection to the modem as opposed to USB then you will have no problems with Vista, so tell them to connect you back up and don't mention you will be using Vista ;)

Reaction score
hello, thanks for your response, could you explain what the ethernet connection is please and how it works?

cheers andy..

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
An ethernet connection uses a RJ45 cable to connect the Telewest modem to your Laptops Ethernet port instead of via a USB port.

An ethernet socket looks similar to a phone socket but is wider - see HERE (your laptop should have one - look or check the spec)

Using an ethernet connection is generally more stable than USB as it is specifically for that purpose - just make sure that you request an Ethernet connecting modem from Telewest when ordering.

You just plug one end into the modem, the other into the laptop, boot up the modem and your laptop should automatically detect the settings, although you may have to go to Network Connections>Local Area Network (on XP - not sure about Vista) to enable the connection if it is currently disabled.

Reaction score
I am not trying to throw a spanner in the works here but Telewest is no more it is now Virgin Media

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Very true - but it is still the same cable set-up :thumb:

.......in fact looking on their site I see that they only do ethernet connections now anyway:

(NIC) Ethernet only interface support for new customers after the 8 February 2007

Last edited:

Ask a Question