DSL Router - Help Appreciated

Reaction score
Hi, would be grateful for help on the following scenario:

Just moved into a house with Telewest Broadband. One other flatmate needs internet access other than myself. They have a Motorola Surfbox Cable Modem with one Ethernet Cable going to their PC in their own room. Luckily, the Surfbox is situated in my room. I've been told I need a DSL Router (?) to allow 2 or more PC's to connect to the Surfbox and allow broadband access. Is this right? I was told this would plug into the Ethernet Port on the Surfbox and this would then allow, say, 4 seperate ethernet cables to go into the back. I've seen some for sale online at PC World but am not sure they are compatible. How can I find out? PC World dont sell them in store. IS there any other high street store that does?

Many Thanks

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hi Tinderstick, I use Telewest Broadband with a router - what you need to get is a cable broadband router (NOT a ADSL Router). The cable modem plugs in the back and you can then connect up to 4 PC's using ethernet cables (or wireless if you get a wireless router and cards for your PC's)

I use a Belkin F5D7230 and it works very well and was easy to set up, but I'm sure others like Netgear/Linksys are just as good - or even better! You can get all this kind of stuff at PC World.

If you need more info have a look at the Cable Modem Forums http://www.cm-forums.co.uk they have a special thread for Telewest/NTL cable users, and also Broadband Buyer http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk who have a Network wizard to help select what you need.

Hope this helps.............:)

Reaction score
Many Thanks Ady = much appreciated.

I've found a Lynkys one quite cheap. Am i able to plug this into the Surfbox? I think I will need a router that can do that?

Reaction score
hiya yes u need a DSL Router as its Telewest

i recoomend Broadbandbuyer aswell, this is where i got my ADSL router.

Reaction score
Hi PSD - sorry mate im a bit confused now. Ady said I need a Cable/Broadband Router. Is this the same as a DSL Router???

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The're the same, often they are listed as Cable/DSL Broadband Routers. What you must NOT get is a ADSL Router - they are for broadband via phonelines.

As I said before you plug your Telewest Surfboard modem into it and then connect the PC's to the router.

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
The're the same, often they are listed as Cable/DSL Broadband Routers. What you must NOT get is a ADSL Router - they are for broadband via phonelines.

r.

yes thats correct just make sure u DO NOT BUY AN ADSL ROUTER make sure it says CABLE/DSL Router.
ADSL is desgned for TELEPHONE LINES if u get this one your leads from will physically not fit into the router.

hope this makes sense to u now

998:)

Ask a Question