muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
I would love to know but need to be up early!! :(

Maybe i can hold out......

:)
Hey! that's fine ... look at the 6am update, mind it might not be in till 7

Hmmm, how do you spell Sargent ... as above Corpral in the army?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
err, Quad ... how many PCs have you got in that there workplace of yours :cool:

There are in double digts but the problem is that for security reasons we do not have all online on the internet. I had decided sometime back to alienate them and hook them up from the internal server. We have that way eliminated a lot of hassle of virus infection. We have Internet stations which can be used by anyone if need be and are not connected to the internal server.. This is my way of doing things but it works in our environment. I am the only one online full time as well as connected to the internal server in the office.

What are you thinking of? :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Let me work on that one Quad ... ;)

I know you can set-up as a 'service' and transfer work units off a system that does not have internet access ... but, don't want to get anybody in trouble. :blush:

Naw, leave it on a 'personal' level ... :thumb:

Reaction score
Can you have more than one computer connected to one user name (e.g. dont have to have each different computer as a seperate team member)?

muckshifter

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Can you have more than one computer connected to one user name (e.g. dont have to have each different computer as a seperate team member)?
Yep ... just enter your nickname and email address on any system you can get your hands on and it will show up in your personal stats belonging to you. :thumb:

Be cearfull, THINK is case sensitive ... be sure to enter the details correctly. For the first time in my internet days, I used Muckshifter, with a capital 'M' and wondered why I could not find myself when setting up the stats. :D

Just to help others out that don't have time to read through some of these threads ... if you have a NEW question, start a new thread, it will make it easier to find. ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
We seem to have dropped a place on the stats, but so has a load of other peeps. Guess its a new team or something....

Good to see Quad and Itsme on the board! :thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
VR,

For me the first job was easy and quick taking less than two hours and uploaded. It said 6 hits (whatever that means ;)). The second one is running since over 8 hours and says 73 hits at 69%. I think the hits means more points if my understanding is correct. Anyway, I plan to set up the same thing on my home rig, although it is not used much but will surely contribute (mainly used by my son for checking mail and some chats with fiends). I also have a machine lying idle with no monitor, maybe a KVM switch can come handy to get that up and running as well.

I will see how things develop and how much I can mange, will do my best :D

Reaction score
32 hits at 65%... common finish :p i wanna get in the stats :p

Whats the processor score all about? Mine is anywhere between 180 and 200 (@ 3.3GHz) - is it how efficiently your CPU is running?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
VR,

Yes thanks I am begining to get the hang of it now. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
VR,

Yes thanks I am begining to get the hang of it now. :D

I was a bit confused when i first started, but i think i am just getting to grips with it! :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:

Whats the processor score all about? Mine is anywhere between 180 and 200 (@ 3.3GHz) - is it how efficiently your CPU is running?
I won't try to explain but a lot of thought has gone into the CPU scoring and is mainly based on 'floating point' or 'Gflops' as they call it.

THINK have tried to make it as fair as possible ... although AMDs do better over Intel and Linux does it faster than Windows there is an overall level of acceptance.

Your CPU is nothing to get overly excited about even though it directly affects your points ... in general the better the CPU the better the processing power. :thumb:

The 'problem' with anything of this nature is 'people' themselves ... my score is this, I got that, how do I get more ... LoL, that is human nature, are you actually doing this to 'have a good score' or are you trying to help mankind find a cure for a crippling disease?

Adictive, isn't it ... ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:

Yes the faster the computer the higher the CPU score, but it really does not matter how fast or how many jobs you do, there are folks out there with CPU rating of just 2 yes TWO and they are also doing it for a good cause, who knows if it is one of those slow machines which finds the cure.

It not about speed nor it is about numbers, just do what you are doing as you are also contributing for a good cause and that is what really matters in the end.

My Dad pased away while suffering from Cancer, there was no real cure at that time in 1998, maybe there will be a cure when the next generation needs it.

Cheers!

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of options that arent really explained...

Any reccomendations on settings to get an optimal balance of stuff?

muckshifter

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:

Yes, sorry, I'm the one quoting points ... how else are we going to compete.

Chris, there is nothing you can realy do that you would not normally do anyway.

THINK cannot be 'optomised' it just uses what you've got ... if you want to optomise your PC ... start a thread in the hardware section. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:

Here is what I have found ...
On a Pentium 4 (or Xeon if you are really fancy) with Hyper-Threading it is fine to run with two copies of THINK. With an AMD or Intel Celeron processor, they should only be running one instance of THINK.

Remember that THINK uses only the spare cycles. Running extra instances of THINK doesn't give you more spare cycles. In fact, it will introduce overheads and actually slow things down. THINK depends upon the floating point unit of the processor, more than one instance at any one time will involve them fighting for use of it. Hyper-Threaded processors however, can run two instances due to having an extra virtual core in the processor. Whilst the virtual core doesn't allow two floating point unit instructions at any one time, it will eliminate the overheads that are suffered on the AMD or Celeron processors.

This means that you get maximum performance for THINK using just one instance on AMD or Celeron's and best performance with two instances on Pentium 4s with Hyper-Threading. Remember, two instances will have a lower CPU rating each than running just one instance, but the two combined ought to be higher than the one single one.

What you may have found, is that if you run several instances on an AMD processor, you may have several instances each with the full CPU rating of one instance. However, if you watch the time on the jobs, it will go slower than real time. Overall, this loses you possible points.

As for RAM, more instances will use more of it, but it is the processor that is the most important part here. More RAM is always a good thing for running other programs at the same time. The more the merrier.

I know this post may be a bit technical, for that I'm sorry if it is, but bottom line is - one instance for everything other than Pentium 4's and Xeons with Hyper-Threading. That will give maximum performance.
http://www.find-a-drug.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4790

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
New stats are in! Not a masive change, Got Bex on there now. :thumb:

Ask a Question