Folding @ Home ... Startup Today

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OK,

We are going to switch over at some point and it may as well be now than later ... maybe we'll get a jump on the other teams still pondering on what to do. ;)

I know some of you have some "jobs" still in the pipe, as Bex has a biggie waiting to finnish and should add a heap of points, so I leave that upto the individuals if they want to switch in mid-crunch or cut 'em short and move now. Remember though, points are fun and they will count, but if nothing is being done with the results, it is only your own pride keeping you there, nothing wrong in that.

Right then ... follow all the links ... bookmark them ... and join The PCReview Crew ... it is even easier than FaD.

Pick a nick for yourself, though it would be easy to use the same name as you do here but not essential ... and when prompted plonk in the Team Number

Team # 47222
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin...e&teamnum=47222

Download & instructions of the software ...
http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

"Team" recruiting thread, similar to FaD really, is ...
http://forum.folding-community.org/...p=114465#114465
... not that worried if we get any answers there, just testing out another different forum. But their rules state no poaching on other team threads ...
rolleyes.gif

Main forum link is ... http://forum.folding-community.org/index.php

Once there are some members and results then this will be activated automatically ...
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/teamstats/team47222.html
... nothing there yet obviously.

Don't know where or if they have a Stats Sig generator yet ... but I have seen some members with them ... need to look into that further.

Have I missed anything ??

muckshifter

Reaction score
And just to get the ball rolling ... yes I'm crunching already. :p

I'll try and answer all & any questions you may have ... bear with me that I don't use Widows and as far as I can see you should not have any problems ... Including Itsme. :D

Actually, I'm running both FaD & F@H ... but then I can on a Linux box, don't recommend you do it with Windows though. ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cool, i'll probably sort it out tonight. :thumb:

Three cheers for mucks for getting it sorted!!!!! :D :thumb: :cool:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I shall indeed join once my big job has finished - it's just plain curiosity that's keeping me from switching now: I want to know how many points it will get!

:)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Is it just a normal uninstall to get rid of FaD? Is there anything i need to get rid of manually?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
its installed and ready, i'll make the swap after i finish the two jobs i have at the moment, which should be in a couple of hours

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
Is it just a normal uninstall to get rid of FaD? Is there anything i need to get rid of manually?
Not that I am aware of ... I believe there are a couple of 'files' that get left behind, but they will not interfear with F@H ... and CCleaner should see off any left-overs.

:thumb:

I'm off out for an hour or so ... catch you all later. :D

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
I shall indeed join once my big job has finished - it's just plain curiosity that's keeping me from switching now: I want to know how many points it will get!

:)
I'm curious too, I want to see how far I can get with FAD too. I'm trying to work out how I can allocate the other half of the X2 chipset to run the new stuff.

I might swap one of the other machines over to start the ball rolling.

Last edited:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Hey Mucks

That installation routine is a piece of XXXX! And you can run it alongside FAD with no problems on the X2 chip.

If anyone else wants to try, you just need to alter the AFFINITY between the CPUs with the TASK MANAGER.

Now lets see some results flowing in .......

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
CITech said:
I'm curious too, I want to see how far I can get with FAD too. I'm trying to work out how I can allocate the other half of the X2 chipset to run the new stuff.

I might swap one of the other machines over to start the ball rolling.

im suprised you havent been running like that all along :eek:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
im suprised you havent been running like that all along :eek:
Yeah, but I messed around with the priorities so the jobs are running at higher capacity than normal, and I had to leave some power left for the machines to do their proper work!:D

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
And just to get the ball rolling ... yes I'm crunching already. :p

I'll try and answer all & any questions you may have ... bear with me that I don't use Widows and as far as I can see you should not have any problems ... Including Itsme. :D

Actually, I'm running both FaD & F@H ... but then I can on a Linux box, don't recommend you do it with Windows though. ;)

Well Mucks I have been crunching since yesterday:p I'm running both FaD & (e-mail address removed) XP no problems:D YET:blush:

muckshifter

Reaction score
itsme said:
Well Mucks I have been crunching since yesterday:p I'm running both FaD & F@H XP no problems:D YET:blush:
Oh heck ... well I just 'killed' FaD, just running F@H now.

Ok Mucks, I'm changing to F@H this evening
See you on the other side. :thumb:

Yeah, but I messed around with the priorities ...
Yes, F@H has a "throttle" and you can set it to 50% or whatever. Nice for servers. :thumb:

Also, for those of you running Intel's, F@H is a better bet than FaD. :rolleyes:

muckshifter

Reaction score
NOW this I like ...

WOW ...

I don't have to pussy around with the Konsole in Linux & F@H ...

Current Work Unit ----------------- Name: p1158_L939_K12M_298K_DT_250ps_clones Download time: November 2 14:08:36 Due time: January 9 14:08:36 Progress: 1% [__________]
Just a simple text file ... :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
up an runnin.....

I'm up and running on 1 PC now, 2 more to follow soon....:)

Quick questions Mucks - In Config>Advanced,If you select the 'slightly higher' Core Priority does that mean it will work faster? and should the CPU Usage Percent slider be to the right or left for 100%?

ps. I've also registered on the (e-mail address removed) forum and posted on our team thread:thumb: