Tax allowances and self employed

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

Now for something completely different........ :)

Are there any self employed people out there who know whether spectacles are an allowable expense? I have trawled through the Revenue website on the issue of allowable expenses and have found that sight tests are allowable for VDU operators but can't find anything about specs or contact lenses.

Does anyone know?? If not, I will ring the Revenue next week and ask them.

BTW I have found out that sat navs can be allowable if for business use so I am pleased about that as I bought one not that long ago.

Love

Gabriella x

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Don't actually know, but your accountant should.

However, I know I was allowed some "relief" for a pair of proscription sunglasses, actually two pairs, I was doing some Professional driving ... they have some very funny driving laws in France. ;)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I have been through the site you suggested Feckit and can't find the answer to my question. Thought there might be a SE person out there would might.......

I'll ring the account or the Revenue next week :)

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Oh yeees Feckit - there is a multitude of things you can claim - I have got my head around most of them but there's few bits I think of from time to time and need to check out.

BTW things like chiropractic treatments are an allowable expense :)

Gabriella x

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
feckit said:
so going self employed has the advantge of getting more tax back, yippeee:D
laughingsmiley.gif

You win some ... you loose some. :p

Reaction score
gabriella said:
Dear all

Now for something completely different........ :)

Are there any self employed people out there who know whether spectacles are an allowable expense? I have trawled through the Revenue website on the issue of allowable expenses and have found that sight tests are allowable for VDU operators but can't find anything about specs or contact lenses.

Does anyone know?? If not, I will ring the Revenue next week and ask them.

BTW I have found out that sat navs can be allowable if for business use so I am pleased about that as I bought one not that long ago.

Love

Gabriella x

Gabriella.
it is best you ask your accountant in relation to your question, however you can claim tax relief against most if not all items/equipment/tools Etc: that concern the particular buisness you are running, as in your case you somewhat depend on vision of a high standard so that appears to come under essential [tools of the trade]
The IR will advise you but only to a certain degree?
A good accountant is essential however; it is immaterial as to their charges as that is a tax relief.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks guys

Will check with the accountant and I'll let you know as it might be of interest to the be-spectacled/contact lens wearer self employed amongst us!!

Love

Gabriella x

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've done this thing.

I claimed for a pair of reading glasses once and the accountant knocked it back, saying spectacles were not tax deductable.

However, when I pointed out that the spectacles were broken during work, and in the course of carrying out work for the company, that seemed to be ok, as they were a replacement item needed during the course of company work.

So, there's your answer I think - no, not normally, but if you claim they were broken during the course of work (an irate client?) then yes, you can.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hello Flops

Thanks for that. I have worked out that the cost of an eyetest is tax deductible if needed for VDU work plus the cost of any prescription (or part) needed for VDU work [that's the position anyway for employees]. I am thinking that limited company people will probably be ok with such a claim but as a sole trader I am not sure about my position but when I get a response from the accountant I will post his answer.

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd never thought about something like that being tax deductable, I'm set up as self employed now for webdesign etc... so if you are allowed to use them because of lots of computer use this would suit me :D

Becky is training to be a tax accountant, so I'll point her in this direction once she's back and see if she has any other useful bits of info on it :)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Ian

This may/may not be of interest but I have had loads of free support from my local Chamber of Commerce + Buisness Link. They offer free support for the first 2 years of a business and these guys know their stuff. They run free training courses on everything you could possibly need to know. Worth a thought?

Happy Easter :)

Gabriella x

Ask a Question