Task Scheduler - general page initialization failed

We're having problems with the Task Scheduler on several computers in our
domain. Whenever I try to bring up the properties on a task that's been
configured to run under the NT AUTHORITY\System account, I get the following
error:

General page initialization failed.
The specific error is:
0x8007000d: The data is invalid.
An error has occurred attempting to retrieve task information. You may
continue editing the task object, but will be unable to change task
account information.

On computers with this problem, tasks with this error do not run; the Tasks
window lists the Status as "Could not start."

I confirmed that the Task Scheduler service is running under the System
account and has permission to interact with the desktop. I tried deleting the
tasks, rebooting, and recreating them, as a couple of sites suggested. I
tried creating tasks through both the GUI and the schtasks command. Nothing
seems to help.

Tasks that are configured to run under other accounts work.

Any suggestions? These tasks are created by a GPO-assigned startup script,
if that makes any difference.

Josh Kelley

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

first, please check if the following article applies to your issue:

"The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed"
error message when you use Task Scheduler to schedule volume shadow copy to
run in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822904

If it doesn't apply, I have following suggestions:

Suggestoin 1:
=================
remove the problematic computer from domain and create a new local user
account to see the result.

Create another new user profile to test
1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click User Accounts.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Advanced.
5. In the left pane, click the Users folder.
6. On the Action menu, click New User.
7. Enter the appropriate user information, and then click Create.
8. Logon with the new user account to see if the issue occurs in the user
profile.

Suggestion 2:
=====================
We may use Clean Boot to eliminate third party interference. To boot into
Clean Boot environment:

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
4. Click OK and restart your computer.

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Vincent Xu said:
"The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed"
error message when you use Task Scheduler to schedule volume shadow copy to
run in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822904

These are Windows XP computers, so that article does not apply.
If it doesn't apply, I have following suggestions:

Suggestoin 1:
=================
remove the problematic computer from domain and create a new local user
account to see the result.

I tried this, and it did not help. (As I mentioned, we're trying to run
tasks under NT AUTHORITY\System rather than under any particular user's
account.)
Suggestion 2:
=====================
We may use Clean Boot to eliminate third party interference. To boot into
Clean Boot environment:

This didn't help either.

Any other ideas?

Josh Kelley

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

I suggest you collect some system information using Microsoft Configuration
Capture Utility , and please send the CAB (Zip) file to me.

Please download the tool:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE

For more information and overview, please refer to link below:

KB818742 Overview of the Microsoft Configuration Capture Utility
(MPS_REPORTS)

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=818742

Note: The CAB file will be generated for your convenience in the
%systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Report\Cab directory called
%COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports_.CAB. The CAB file will contain the reports
generated by the MPS Reporting Tool. If the CAB file isn't produced, please
compress all of the result files under %systemroot%\MPSReport\Setup\Report
as a Zip file. (Note: %systemroot% is the folder where you install Windows.)

Please send me the CAB file via the email : (e-mail address removed)

Thanks.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi ,

Thanks for sending me the MPS report.

After research, I think that we can use the systaskfix.exe tool to reset
the task scheduler database. HINT: I have sent the tool to your email box
at (e-mail address removed).

To use this tool, follow these steps:

1. Run "SysTaskFix.exe /fix" (without the quotation marks) from the command
line.

2. Click "Start", and then click "Control Panel".

3. Double-click "Scheduled Tasks".

4. Right-click on the task and then click "Properties".

5. In the "Run as" box on the "Task" tab, enter the username and password
or "NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM".

6. Click "OK".

In Windows XP, we may try to use the SCHTASKS.EXE tool to run the task with
the system account to see if the task can run properly. For details on how
to use the SCHTASKS.EXE tool, type "SCHTASKS.EXE /?" in a command line.
HINT: To change the user account to run a task, you can use the following
command:

Schtasks /change /U <user> /P <password> /RU SYSTEM /TN <Task name>

From: =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaCBLZWxsZXk=?= <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:46:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

:

Vincent Xu said:
After research, I think that we can use the systaskfix.exe tool to reset
the task scheduler database. HINT: I have sent the tool to your email box
at (e-mail address removed).

To use this tool, follow these steps:

That fixed it. Thank you!

Josh Kelley

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Josh,

Glad to hear the problem was fixed.

Have a good day!

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Vincent
is there any way you could e-mail me this file systaskfix.exe
I have a new WIN 2003 STD server /Domain controller
and I am getting the the same error in scheduled task for Shadow Copies

Thank You
Jim Davis
(e-mail address removed)

Hello Vincent,
I am getting the same error message on a Windows XP computer. Can you email
me the systaskfix.exe file as well. Thanks,
Jake Davis
(e-mail address removed)

Excuse me for barging in, but I would it be possible to get a copy of the
SYSTASKFIX.EXE file? I'm experiencing the same problem after a forced
demotion of an auxilliary domain controller, and the scheduled VS copies no
longer work.

I've tried the methods in Q822904 to no avail.

Thanks very much,

Regards,
Al Marklin
Delta Systems Group

jschulenburg

If someone received this tool SysTrayFix.exe, i would be very glad to receive
a copy of it too! I'm experiencing similar problems on a W2K3 server (was a
DC, demoted it)..

jschulenburg

I clearly mean the tool SysTaskFix.exe, not SysTrayFix.exe :)

Would enyone be so nice to send this tool to my public address.

Jan, I don't know if you've solved your problem, but I was able to finally
get everything working thanks to a tip from a user on this board. Try

1. Delete the offending "SYSTEM" account tasks in Task Scheduler.
2. Stop the Task Scheduler
3. Delete all files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18
4. Restart the service (I'd restart the server as soon as possible, too).

Hope this helps
-Al Marklin

jschulenburg via WindowsKB.com

Al,

I solved the problem by reïnstalling the server. The problem was that i
changed the AT service account before i ran dcpromo to convert the server to
a DC. After promoting the server, the AT service account cannot be accessed
anymore and jobs scheduled using AT/SOON fail to run.

The right installation sequence is:
- install the server
- add it to the domain (if necessary)
- run dcpromo
- alter the AT service account

--
Kind regards,

Jan Schulenburg

Sorry you had to reinstall, Jan. In my case, the problem came from a forced
demotion from an AD server, which could no longer synchronize with the other
servers. Rejoining the domain after a manual clean up worked fine, except for
the AT System account problem, but deleting that folder referenced below
fixed the problem like a charm.

Could someone out there email me the systaskfix.exe utility as well.
(e-mail address removed) I would appreciate it.

Ken Blake, MVP

Dmazck said:
Could someone out there email me the systaskfix.exe utility as well.
(e-mail address removed) I would appreciate it.

Accepting and running an executable file sent to you by a stranger on a
listserv would be a very foolhardy thing to do.Most of the time, what you
got would undoubtedly be fine, but there are crazy people out there, and the
risk of getting something malicious is just too great.

Also, posting your real E-mail address, unmunged, on a listserv is just an
invitation to get spam. In the future, if you must do this, modify the
address, and provide instruction to fix it. Say somethink like
(e-mail address removed) (remove shoes to send mail.)

gcw

Al Marklinwrote
Sorry you had to reinstall, Jan. In my case, the problem came from
forced
demotion from an AD server, which could no longer synchronize wit the other
servers. Rejoining the domain after a manual clean up worked fine except for
the AT System account problem, but deleting that folder reference below
fixed the problem like a charm

Al

I solved the problem by reïnstalling the server. The problem wa that
changed the AT service account before i ran dcpromo to convert th server t
a DC. After promoting the server, the AT service account cannot b accesse
anymore and jobs scheduled using AT/SOON fail to run

The right installation sequence is
- install the serve
- add it to the domain (if necessary
- run dcprom
- alter the AT service accoun

-
Kind regards

Jan Schulenbur

Message posted via WindowsKB.co
http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/windowsxp/200607/
[/quote:e5da68bb43

HI All

I am in a similar situation. Would someone please forward th
systaskfix.exe tool to me as well.. thanks in advance!!!

Luca

Hi i have the same problem but i can't find SysTaskFix in internet.
please give me it truth email the link or tool diretcly.
Please!! i am desperate.!!

--
LZ

From: =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaCBLZWxsZXk=?= <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:46:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

:

[...]

Jason

I met the same problem, and I can't find the systaskfix.exe everywhere. Would
someone forward the systaskfix.exe tool to me as well please?

Many thanks!

Al Marklinwrote:
[...]

[/quote:e5da68bb43]

HI All,

I am in a similar situation. Would someone please forward the
systaskfix.exe tool to me as well.. thanks in advance!!!!