Tagan TG480-U22

Review Tagan TG480-U22

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
floppybootstomp submitted a new article:

Tagan TG480-U22 - Tagan TG480-U22

Introduction

During the last twelve month period the Computer Power Supply market has become very competitive. For a while those seeking a quality PSU would mostly look to only Antec or Enermax.

Tagan gained a good foothold in the market a little over a year ago with their attention to detail and assurance their PSU’s would deliver the quoted current without hiccups. And now we have a new kid on the block, Hiper, also supplying up market PSU’s....

Read more about this article...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
difference between TG480U01 and TG480U22

What are the difference between the slightly older TG480-U01 and Tagans new TG480-U22.

Am I right in thinking the TG480U22 is just the TG480U01 with ATX12 v2 compatability (ie dual12v rails) and an extra optional PCI express 6-pin connector. Other than that it seems identical for all other connectors and watts etc.

I am currently using/testing the TG480-U01 and find it the best power supply i ever used, but would it be worth upgrading to the newer model? :confused:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Oh and by the way the review is excellent - very informative but not too much info.

Reinforces my trust and belief in Tagan.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there - I don't think it would be worth your while upgrading if you have the U01 :)

It is just an upgraded model seemingly! Still very nice though :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Cache-man:

That was my first experience with a Tagan PSU to be honest. Prior to using the TG480-U22 I'd always used Antec almost exclusively.

From what I can glean from information gathered, you're correct in your above assumptions, the main difference does seem to be extra connectors. And perhaps improved aesthetics, depending on your point of view ;)

Thanks for your feedback :) As for the lack of info, without access to bench testing equipment I feel there was little else I could comment on.

Kye

Reaction score
The 8 molex connectors are what attract me, and the power to deal with pretty much anything i can use them for.

Im buying a delta 60mm focus fan, which needs a molex connector. I have to buy a Y splitter :(

But the tagan is definately what im buying next, along with molex UV clips ^_^

Reaction score
Kye said:
Im buying a delta 60mm focus fan,

You WILL regret that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool review flops, very nicely presented

What exactly is ATX 2 and how is it better than 1?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Atx2

As far as I can tell from research at present, ATX 2 sometimes referred to as ATX12 v2, is the new industry spec for ATX PSU's. The main difference between ATX and ATX2 specs is that ATX2 has 2 independant 12v rails as opposed to just one in ATX1 spec.
The advantage of this is that the motherboard has its own 12v rail, and everything else is powered by another 12v rail, meaning that if components such as optical drives suddenly use a lot of power the vital components on the mobo, ie your CPU, do not suffer from voltage fluctuations and/or surges. Dual rails simply means that vital components get cleaner power.
There are a whole host of other things mentioned in the atx2 spec, but the dual 12v rails are the major change.
I also think that it is a future proofing step towards the new BTX case/mobo spec.

Kye

Reaction score
Floopybootstomp, i have a question!

Does the tagan PSU tick at all? a ticking noise that is noticable? everyone whom seems to have brought on seems to get the ticking noise. just wondering if you can hear it and how loud it is ^_^

Kye

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Kye said:
Floopybootstomp, i have a question!

Does the tagan PSU tick at all? a ticking noise that is noticable? everyone whom seems to have brought on seems to get the ticking noise. just wondering if you can hear it and how loud it is ^_^

Kye

Nope. Not in my one, no ticking at all.

In fact it's so quiet I had to have a good look to make sure both fans were spinning.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Kye,
My Tagan ticks. I'm not too sure exactly what it is, but i don't think it comes from the fans (which themselves are extremely quiet as they only spin at absolute minimum speed required), but it sounds like an electrical sort of noise.
The ticking/clicking isn't very load at all, and you wouldn't normally hear it on a standard system. I can only hear it because I have silenced the rest of my system, and the only moving fans are a slow running 80mm intake fan, the quiet fan on the freezer 4 cooler, and the Tagan fans (which are silent).
Incidentally I would like to know why some Tagan units tick as they do though.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Without having seen inside one, I'd hazard a guess and say the clicking is possibly a relay(s), perhaps to do with the thermal control of the fans.

Ask a Question