SYSVOL not installed to default location???

chadb

I am working at a site where there are 2 DC's. I ran
dcpromo on the 3rd and wah-lah AD is installed. Im
verifying AD is installed correctly and I see Event ID:
13565 Warning!
File Replication Service is initializing the system
volume with data from another domain controller. computer
SERVER01 cannot become a domain controller until this
process is complete. The system volume will then be
shared as SYSVOL.
To check for the SYSVOL share, at the command prompt,
type:
net share
When File Replication Service completes the
initialization process, the SYSVOL share will appear.
The initialization of the system volume can take some
time. The time is dependent on the amount of data in the
system volume, the availability of other domain
controllers, and the replication interval between domain
controllers.

This usaully takes a few minutes and then the SYSVOL
share shows up. 2 hours pass and it doesnt. When
investigating the other DC's to see if SYSVOL is shared,
I notice that it is not installed to the defualt path
C:\winnt\SYSVOL. The SYSVOL share is located @
C:\domain\SYSVOL on the other 2 DC's. Im wondering if
this has anything to do with my new DC not becoming a
DC. However, I run the Replication Monitor from the
Support Tools and it tells me there are no rep. errors
and all partitions are current through the latest USN...

Is it possible that I need to install AD on my new DC
again and use the other path to sysvol?

David Fisher [MSFT]

Hello Chad.

There should be no problem with having SYSVOL located in a location other
than the default. DCPROMO allows you to specify a new path should you want
to store the policies on a separate partition.

To resolve the problem on the third DC, you will need to look for other
errors in the FRS event log or any indications that network connectivity is
failing. What errors occur when you restart the FRS service? We can get a
failure if DNS resolution fails or if we do not have access to a replication
partner.

What other errors are present on the servers?

Best Regards,
David Fisher
Enterprise Platform Support

David Pharr [MSFT]

On the other two DCs, if you type NET SHARE at a command prompt are you
saying the path it shows is c:\domain\sysvol\sysvol? If that's the case,
Sysvol is not in the default location but that won't prevent replication
from occurring properly.

If the DC is in the same site as the DC from whom it is obtaining its
source information (the dcpromo.log file in the winnt\debug folder will
list its source DC) then it should happen fairly quickly depending upon
bandwidth and connectivity. If the DC is in a different site, however, it
could take time to replicate its information since replication occurs on a
schedule (by default, 3 hours).

Is DNS properly configured and do you have connectivity to the other DCs -
can you ping them by fully qualified domain name and ip address from the
newly promoted DC? Are there any errors if you run DCDIAG /V on any of
the domain controllers? Does everything else appear to be proper? Check
out the following kb article to verify the installation of that DC:

298143 How to Verify an Active Directory Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298143

If all else seems fine but Sysvol does not share out then you are having an
FRS problem. The best document available to understand and troubleshoot
the File Replication Service (FRS) is the FRS Monitoring Help File found at
the following location:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/fileandprint/file/df
s/tshootfrs.mspx

To search for a particular issue, open ultrasound.chm and double-click on
it. Under the Contents tab, expand Troubleshooting FRS, expand FRS
Troubleshooting Topics and locate the topic you seek. You can look for the
specific error message, in this case 13565, for information on possible
causes.

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)