System State Restore Question

O

OTD

Scenario:
I have a windows 2000 server that was a domain controller. The server was
rebuilt due to some hardware fault. Instead of restoring the Active
Directory from System State I want to reinstall AD by runnning DC promo.
However, I want to restore system state so that the registry get restored
in order for the applications run and be in the same state they were before
the fault. If I restore the AD in normal mode (without going to the
Directory Service Restore mode), will the Active Directory be restored or
will it just restore the registry so that I can go ahead and run DCpromo ?

Thanks!

P

Paul Bergson

Slow down clean up your metadata (AD) first. A simple procedure but one
that is needed.

Clean up AD
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

Once done I would recommend Running diagnostics against your Active
Directory domain.

If you don't have the tools installed, install them from your server install
disk.
d:\support\tools\setup.exe

Run dcdiag in verbose mode.

If you download a gui script I wrote it should be simple to set and run.

The script is at http://pbbergs.dynu.com/windows/windows.htm, download it
and save it to c:\program files\support tools\

Just select dcdiag and leave the defaults.

Once things look clean then go back and promote your dc back inyo the
domain.

--

Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

O

OD

I mistyped a statement in the question I posted, the correct versin should read below:

I have a windows 2000 server that was a domain controller. This DC is one of several domain controllers, a GC but not operation master. If the server was rebuilt due to some hardware fault. Instead of restoring the Active Directory from System State I want to reinstall AD by runnning DC promo. However, I want to restore system state so that the registry get restored
in order for the applications to run and be in the same state they were before the fault. The server has been rebuilt with fresh installation of Windows 2000 server as stand alone server. If I restore the SYSTEM STATE in normal mode (without going to the Directory Service Restore mode), will the Active Directory be restored or will it just restore the registry so that I can go ahead and run DCpromo?

P

Paul Bergson

If you want to rebuild via dcpromo you have to do the metadata cleanup. If you do a system state restore the registry will be restored but i'm guessing on reboot it would hang. This is a really bad idea.

If you want to do a restore, restore the server with a full restore or do as I stated in the previous post.

--

I mistyped a statement in the question I posted, the correct versin should read below:

I have a windows 2000 server that was a domain controller. This DC is one of several domain controllers, a GC but not operation master. If the server was rebuilt due to some hardware fault. Instead of restoring the Active Directory from System State I want to reinstall AD by runnning DC promo. However, I want to restore system state so that the registry get restored
in order for the applications to run and be in the same state they were before the fault. The server has been rebuilt with fresh installation of Windows 2000 server as stand alone server. If I restore the SYSTEM STATE in normal mode (without going to the Directory Service Restore mode), will the Active Directory be restored or will it just restore the registry so that I can go ahead and run DCpromo?

J

Jorge de Almeida Pinto

If you have installed a fresh server and then restore the system
state of the previous DC... yes, AD will also be restored and the
result will be a DC again.
To recover the server, you could reinstall windows 2000 with as
little components as possible and then restore the SYSTEM DISK and
the SYSTEM STATE. Restoring the system disk (the disk with the winnt
dir) restore all directories and binaries AND permissions (remember a
stand alone install has slightly different permissions on directories
than a DC). Restoring the system state will restore the registry and
AD. Make sure when restoring the partitioning and the drive letters
are the same (size of partition does not matter, as long as the data
fits on it) and ALWAYS REPLACE files when restoring
Cheers,
# Jorge de Almeida Pinto #
----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights!
* Always test before implementing!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
30-Nov-2005 04:26:40
I mistyped a statement in the question I
posted, the correct versin should read below:

I have a windows 2000 server that was a domain
controller. This DC is one of several domain controllers, a GC but not operation
master. If the server was rebuilt due to some hardware fault. Instead of
restoring the Active Directory from System State I want to reinstall AD by
runnning DC promo. However, I want to restore system state so that the registry
get restored in order for the applications to run and be in the same state
they were before the fault. The server has been rebuilt with fresh installation
of Windows 2000 server as stand alone server. If I restore
the SYSTEM STATE in normal mode (without going to the
Directory Service Restore mode), will the Active Directory be restored or will
it just restore the registry so that I can go ahead and run
DCpromo?

message Slow down clean
up your metadata (AD) first. A simple procedure but one> that is
needed.> > Clean up AD> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498> >
Once done I would recommend Running diagnostics against
your Active> Directory domain.> > If you don't have the
tools installed, install them from your server install> disk.>
d:\support\tools\setup.exe> > Run dcdiag in verbose mode.> and
run.> > The script is at http://pbbergs.dynu.com/windows/windows.
htm, download it> and save it to c:\program files\support
tools\> > Just select dcdiag and leave the defaults.>
the> domain.> > > -- > > > Paul
Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA> > This posting is
provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.> >
Scenario:>> I have
a windows 2000 server that

O

OD

Thank you for the info. The problem is that we also have Oracle, Veritas, and MSDE running on this server. If we do not do a registry restore it will mean having to restore from scratch. We can do a full system restore (in non authoritative mode), which is my take. But another admin here seem to think it will corrupt the AD database. I have restore AD a couple of times in non-authoritative mode and the AD database was fine. Is there any thing to watch out for, or is there any reason why AD database will be corrupted?

Thanks a bunch for your response.
If you want to rebuild via dcpromo you have to do the metadata cleanup. If you do a system state restore the registry will be restored but i'm guessing on reboot it would hang. This is a really bad idea.

If you want to do a restore, restore the server with a full restore or do as I stated in the previous post.

--

P

Paul Bergson

If you do a full restore then AD will replicate properly. You don't need to do anything, there is no reason to do a Authoritative Restore or any such thing. Just put the DC back into its state before the hardware failure.

--

Thank you for the info. The problem is that we also have Oracle, Veritas, and MSDE running on this server. If we do not do a registry restore it will mean having to restore from scratch. We can do a full system restore (in non authoritative mode), which is my take. But another admin here seem to think it will corrupt the AD database. I have restore AD a couple of times in non-authoritative mode and the AD database was fine. Is there any thing to watch out for, or is there any reason why AD database will be corrupted?

--

O

OD

Thank you Paul. Your response was very helpful.

If you do a full restore then AD will replicate properly. You don't need to
do anything, there is no reason to do a Authoritative Restore or any such
thing. Just put the DC back into its state before the hardware failure.

--

Thank you for the info. The problem is that we also have Oracle, Veritas,
and MSDE running on this server. If we do not do a registry restore it will
mean having to restore from scratch. We can do a full system restore (in non
authoritative mode), which is my take. But another admin here seem to think
it will corrupt the AD database. I have restore AD a couple of times in
non-authoritative mode and the AD database was fine. Is there any thing to
watch out for, or is there any reason why AD database will be corrupted?

If you want to rebuild via dcpromo you have to do the metadata cleanup.
If you do a system state restore the registry will be restored but i'm
guessing on reboot it would hang. This is a really bad idea.

If you want to do a restore, restore the server with a full restore or
do as I stated in the previous post.

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

I mistyped a statement in the question I posted, the correct versin
should read below:

I have a windows 2000 server that was a domain controller. This DC is
one of several domain controllers, a GC but not operation master. If the
server was rebuilt due to some hardware fault. Instead of restoring the
Active Directory from System State I want to reinstall AD by runnning DC
promo. However, I want to restore system state so that the registry get
restored
in order for the applications to run and be in the same state they
were before the fault. The server has been rebuilt with fresh installation
of Windows 2000 server as stand alone server. If I restore the SYSTEM STATE
in normal mode (without going to the Directory Service Restore mode), will
the Active Directory be restored or will it just restore the registry so
that I can go ahead and run DCpromo?

T

Tung Dang

Hi, Is there a way to just restore the AD? because I tried restoring the system state and it won't let me boot. Thanks

--

P

Paul Bergson

You have to restore the full system partition.

--

Hi, Is there a way to just restore the AD? because I tried restoring the system state and it won't let me boot. Thanks

--

Ask a Question