System Shutdown Message

BryanB

Win2000 pro srvp4 o/s. When on the internet via msn9 dial
up I am getting a "system shutdown message in system
process c:\winnt\system32\lsass.exe unexpected status code
128" when the timer runs out the system reboots. Sometimes
I can be on the internet for 5 minutes to 15 minutes
before this occurs. I have ran a complete mcafee
virusscan with all the latest dats and scan engine and no
viruses are being detected. Any ideas what may be causing
this problem? In dire need of support kids have online
classes to finish.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Sounds like you've been infected by the Sasser worm. This means you didn't
apply Windows Updates (at least not very recently - patch for this came out
April 13) and don't have a firewall enabled....

For WinXP: If you can't stop your computer from restarting:

As soon as your computer reboots and Windows loads, click Start, then Run.
In the box, type the following:

shutdown -a (then click OK)

[for Win2k, shutdown.exe is part of the resource kit and the correct syntax
is
shutdown /a]

Then see http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp and
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-011.mspx

McAfee's Stinger tool to remove Sasser: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

MS removal tool for Windows 2000 SP2 and up, or Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;841720

Enable your XP firewall (or get a third party one if not on XP or even if
so - www.zonealarm.com has a free one) and run Windows Update regularly to
keep your OS patched to the gills. You also need good antivirus software and
need to keep it updated regularly. As mentioned, the patch for this exploit
was released April 13th...but there are plenty you do need. Perhaps want to
enable the autoupdate feature of Windows Update and subscribe to the
security bulletin announcements at www.microsoft.com/security.

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hi,

This is an indication on the sasser worm. Please follow the instructions in
the following link.

Windows 2000 Users: What to Do If Your Computer Has Been Infected by Sasser
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_print2000.mspx

I am attaching the contents of the page for your reference at the end. Also
please find the related Knowledge Base articles.

1) What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and Its Variants
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp

2) A tool is available to remove the Sasser worm variants
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841720

3) Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB835732)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0692C27E-F63A-414C-
B3EB-D2342FBB6C00&displaylang=en

Additional Information and Recommendations:
Protect your PC in 3 Steps:

---------------------------------------
Windows 2000 Users: What to Do If Your Computer Has Been Infected by Sasser
Published: May 4, 2004

Print this page now to get instructions for yourself (if your computer
keeps shutting down), or to help a friend.

If you are using Microsoft® Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows 2000
SP3, or Windows 2000 SP4 and your computer has been infected by the Sasser
worm, you can take these steps to update your software, remove the worm,
and help protect against future infections.

Step 1: Disconnect from the Internet
To avoid further problems, disconnect from the Internet:

• Broadband connection users: Locate the cable that runs from your external
DSL or cable modem and unplug that cable either from the modem or from the
telephone jack.

• Dial-up connection users: Locate the cable that runs from the modem
inside your computer to your telephone jack and unplug that cable either
from the telephone jack or from your computer.

Top of page

Step 2: Mitigate the Vulnerability
You can temporarily remove the vulnerability that allows the worm to infect
your computer by creating a log file.

Create the log file

1. On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then
click Run.

2. Type: cmd and then click OK.

3. At the command prompt, type: echo dcpromo
%systemroot%\debug\dcpromo.log and then press ENTER.

Make the log file read-only

1. At the command prompt, type: attrib +R %systemroot%\debug\dcpromo.log
and then press ENTER.

Top of page

Step 3: Improve System Performance

If your computer is acting sluggish or if the Internet connection is slow,
the worm may be flooding your local network connection. This may make it
impossible for you to download and install the required software update. To
improve system performance:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.

2. For each of the following tasks that may be listed, click the task to
select it, and then click the End Task button to end it.

• Any task ending with _up.exe (for example, 12345_up.exe).

• Any task starting with avserve (for example, avserve.exe).

• Any task starting with avserve2 (for example, avserve2.exe).

• Any task starting with skynetave (for example, skynetave.exe).

• hkey.exe

• msiwin84.exe

• wmiprvsw.exe
Note Do not end the wmiprvse.exe task; it is a legitimate system task.

Top of page

Step 4: Enable a Firewall

A firewall is a piece of software or hardware that creates a protective
barrier between your computer and the Internet. Microsoft does not
manufacture stand-alone software firewalls. The following resources provide
more information about some firewall options.

Hardware Firewalls

Hardware firewalls are a good choice for versions of the Windows operating
system prior to Windows XP. Some home-networking hardware, such as wireless
access points and broadband routers, comes with built-in hardware
firewalls. These help protect most home networks.

Software Firewalls

Microsoft strongly recommends that all users obtain and install a firewall
before connecting to the Internet. However, we realize that some users may
find downloading software to be their only option. If you choose to
reconnect to the Internet to obtain a software firewall, here are some

• BlackICE PC Protection—Save 25% (http://blackice.iss.net/microsoft.php)

• Computer Associates—12-month free trial
(http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/)

• F-secure—6-months free trial (http://www.f-secure.com/protectyourpc/)

• McAfee Security—save up to 35%
(http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=8437)

• Panda Software—90-day free trial (http://www.pandasoftware.com/microsoft/)

• Symantec/Norton—90-day free trial
(http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/v2/ec_dynamic.main?sp=1&pn=46&sid=27674)

• Tiny Software: Tiny Personal Firewall (http://www.tinysoftware.com)

• ZoneAlarm—save $20
(http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotions/microsoftsecurity/)

Top of page

Step 5: Reconnect to the Internet

Plug the cable (referred to in Step 1) back into your computer, telephone
jack, or modem.

Top of page

Step 6: Install the Required Update

To help protect your computer against this worm in the future, you must
download and install security update 835732, which was released with
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011. To download security update 835732,
go to http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkID=526386

Top of page

Step 7: Check For and Remove Sasser

After you have installed the update and restarted your computer, go to the
Web page "What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and Its Variants" at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx. Use the Sasser Worm
Removal Tool to search your hard disk for and remove Sasser.A, Sasser.B,
Sasser.C, Sasser.D, Sasser.E, and Sasser.F.

Top of page

About Firewalls

To learn more about software firewalls made by other companies, hardware
firewalls, and network routers, and for information about selecting a
firewall for your computer, see "Why You Should Use a Computer Firewall" at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/firewall.asp. If you have a
different configuration, a small network, or want to learn more about
firewalls, read "Frequently Asked Questions About Internet Firewalls" at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/firewall.asp.
------------------------------

Hope the issue is resolved.

Thank you,

Rashmi

| From: "BryanB" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "BryanB" <[email protected]>
| Subject: System Shutdown Message
| Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 07:18:34 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
|
| Win2000 pro srvp4 o/s. When on the internet via msn9 dial
| up I am getting a "system shutdown message in system
| process c:\winnt\system32\lsass.exe unexpected status code
| 128" when the timer runs out the system reboots. Sometimes
| I can be on the internet for 5 minutes to 15 minutes
| before this occurs. I have ran a complete mcafee
| virusscan with all the latest dats and scan engine and no
| viruses are being detected. Any ideas what may be causing
| this problem? In dire need of support kids have online
| classes to finish.

BryanB

Yes the system is showing that it is clean. I have
followed all microsoft recommendations and fixes for
sasser and still having this issue. I have tried
everyhting from the latest Mcafee virusscan and stinger.
Microsft's scanner and everything shows clean. Even
checked the registry in the run section per Mcafee
instructions and that even comes up clean. Please help
kids are running out of time for school.