System Restore Problem

J

JamesJ

Vista Basic sp2 x32.
According to Task Scheduler - System Restore the last time ran was 2/16/2010. But, I see no restore point
created there. Although it is set to run at startup I see no restore system check points except for one on 2/13.
Other than that the last few restore points are 2/10 and 2/8.
Why isn't SR creating restore points when it's scheduled to???
Please don't tell me to do it manually.
Maybe it's just one more thing you don't get with Vista Basic.
I want to know why this is occurring.
I have plenty of disk space.

Thanks,
James

T

TheDuck

The restore point will not be started until the system is idle for 10 minutes. Do you have software that is keeping the system running. If so you will have to go to Task Scheduler and turn off the 10 minute idle option for SR.
Vista Basic sp2 x32.
According to Task Scheduler - System Restore the last time ran was 2/16/2010. But, I see no restore point
created there. Although it is set to run at startup I see no restore system check points except for one on 2/13.

Thanks,
James

J

JamesJ

There is no process or app on my system that prevents the computer form being idle for ten minutes
during the day.
And why isn't a scheduled checkpoint being created at startup which is a trigger for SR??
According to task scheduler 'The Task Scheduler service has asked the task to run.'
Also in the history of the task I get the following. And this shows in the history every day when I startup:

Task Scheduler launched "{c5605fa5-b623-436e-9a57-478ce2f0ce27}" instance of task "\Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\SR" due to system startup.
No restore point was created here.
But then on some startups I get the following after the first previous message:
Task Scheduler could not launch task "\Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\SR" as scheduled.
Instance "{7ec01de6-d30f-4ecb-9aa5-72e6945dd0a1}" is started now as required by the configuration option to start the task when available, if schedule is missed.

I'll change the triggers and see what happens but I thought this was supposed to be automatic.
Isn't it defeating the damn purpose if this isn't working the way it was meant to??
I might just, and I stated this in my other post concerning SR) turn the damn thing off and depend on drive images.

It's sort of odd that certain services that run in windows are worthless but you can't get System Restore to work properly.
Case in point: one can turn off all synchronizing on your system but mobsync.exe will run every 20 minutes.

James

The restore point will not be started until the system is idle for 10 minutes. Do you have software that is keeping the system running. If so you will have to go to Task Scheduler and turn off the 10 minute idle option for SR.
Vista Basic sp2 x32.

Thanks,
James

J

Jim

Vista Basic sp2 x32.

Thanks,
James

D/l ERUNT ; it does a restore point each day .

P

Peter Foldes

Here you go

Also do you have Norton installed by any chance

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrpv.html
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/createrpv.html
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/q_a.html
--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

Vista Basic sp2 x32.
According to Task Scheduler - System Restore the last time ran was 2/16/2010. But, I
see no restore point
created there. Although it is set to run at startup I see no restore system check
points except for one on 2/13.

Thanks,
James

Ask a Question