System Restore and Check Disk not working

will trade Vista for XP

I need to do a system restore, but when I try I get a message saying the disk
Local Disk (C:) has errors and I need to check the disk before it can be
restored. It prompts me to run check disk, but it will not check the disk
while the disk is in use, and prompts me to schedule to run on the next
startup. I shut down, then start again, but check disk never runs. I've even
tried going through the command prompt, and it still won't work. I have also
tried pressing F8 on statup, and check disk still will not run. Any ideas?

Bob

Start your PC in Safe Mode and run System Restore from there.

If still no joy run sfc/scannow.

"will trade Vista for XP" <will trade Vista for
news:[email protected]...

will trade Vista for XP

Thanks Bob. Didn't work in Safe Mode. how do I run sfc/scannow? from the dos
prompt or through run? I cant get it to work either way.

Malke

will said:
Thanks Bob. Didn't work in Safe Mode. how do I run sfc/scannow? from the
dos prompt or through run? I cant get it to work either way.

It certainly sounds like your hard drive has physical errors. I would test
it with a diagnostic utility downloaded from the drive mftr.'s website. You
will create a bootable CD with the file you download. You will need
third-party burning software to do this such as Roxio, Nero, or the free
CDBurnerXP Pro.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it fails
any physical tests, replace it.

Malke

will trade Vista for XP

I was able to run scannow, it found errors but was unable to repair some of
them, and I still can't get system restore or check disk to work

Chad Harris

Hey Mark L. Ferguson--

Hope you're doing very well. Long time no see you. Good to hear your
voice.

CH

Chad Harris

Hey will trade--

What precisely happens when you try to run chkdsk? Do you get an error
message and if so, what is it?

Suppose Vista that you're trying to run chkdsk on is on C:\--I have no idea
what drive you have or have it on--so we'll use C:\ as an example here.

Have you tried running chkdsk/R (can be upper or lower case; doesn't matter)
from an elevated cmd prompt by right clicking cmd on the start menu>run as
admin and then type at the prompt:

hkdsk C: /r

chkdsk C: /r A cmd prompt will say do you wanna run next boot y/n and you
type in y>enter>close all>restart.

I have one thing to add to Mark's help. If you still can't run chkdsk /r as
instructed above, do a repair install/also called an *inplace upgrade
install of Vista on Vista *if you have the Vista DVD. This ***must be done
from Windows Vista, and you must have a bout 6 GB of space to run it on that
drive. That should repair your chkdsk.

From Vista's desktop>Put in the Vista DVD>After the language screen, you
should see the option live as a hyperlink to do an upgrade/repair install.
Click it and run it. You won't lose anything, and this should fix you.

Best,

CH