System pegs at 100% CPU Usage when trying to install USB Mass Storage Device

Alex

Hi all,

On Windows 2000 Pro with all updates and service packs, USB works fine
in general.. until I plug a USB compact flash card reader in. I have
three different card readers that install and work fine on other
Windows 2000 boxes and did work on this system before reinstalling Win
2K last month, but now they don't.

When I plug-in either device, the "USB Mass Storage Device" window
pops up and says found new hardware. Then it goes to another window
with the appropriate driver/card reader name and the CPU pegs at 100%
usage. In Task Manager it shows 'System' as eating up 97+% of
resources.

I've disabled all programs on startup, and all else works fine outside
of this... including my USB mouse, USB scanner, and USB printer. Only
devices Windows knows as 'USB Mass Storage Devices' hose while
installing.

Any suggestions? Is it possible to reinstall or troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Alex.

Alex

Hi all,

On Windows 2000 Pro with all updates and service packs, USB works fine
in general.. until I plug a USB compact flash card reader in. I have
three different card readers that install and work fine on other
Windows 2000 boxes and did work on this system before reinstalling Win
2K last month, but now they don't.

[snip]

More information... no solution yet, but I downloaded the motherboard
drivers from Intel and flashed the BIOS with no luck. The motherboard
is an Intel D845WN.

Thanks,

Alex.

Alex

Hi all,

On Windows 2000 Pro with all updates and service packs, USB works fine
in general.. until I plug a USB compact flash card reader in. I have
three different card readers that install and work fine on other
Windows 2000 boxes and did work on this system before reinstalling Win
2K last month, but now they don't.

[snip]

More information... no solution yet, but I downloaded the motherboard
drivers from Intel and flashed the BIOS with no luck. The motherboard
is an Intel D845WN.

Thanks,

Alex.

Resolution found.... This problem is a documented issue that the
Motherboard BIOS update was supposed to fix, but it didn't. I ran a
repair on Windows 2000 and after the repair all works fine now. I'll
have to reinstall most of my apps, plus Windows doesn't recognize any
of my updates from Windows Update, so rerunning those. But.. USB
Mass Storage Devices are working now.

WOOHOO!

Alex.

Bob I