System crashes in Windows XP??

dp

Had a friend tell me he has a IBM T30. Doesn't wanna pay
any bucks for repairs so he asked me. Says he is certain
he has seen blue screen of deaths several times but he
says they are only up quickly and then they go
away/reboot.

Cannot give me any details from the text on the screen. I
have seen blue screen once but it didn't disappear until
after a reboot.

Hmmm...He is running Windows XP pro.

I ran the builtin program pc doctor and it came back with
this message for the memory test:

PC-Doctor Diagnostics For Windows Test Log
Testing started at 3:44:56 PM 12/11/2003
Memory Test: Patterns - **FAILED**
Pattern test failed: incorrect data at physical address
FFFFFFFFH (4294967295)
Wrote pattern 00000000H, read back pattern 00080000H
_EVENT:50_2
Testing completed at 3:45:15 PM 12/11/2003

Every other hardware test was aok!!!

I did a little research and found that blue screens are
usually caused by driver failures, hardware failures or
page faults. Does that seem right?
If in fact he is getting blue screens could
adding/replacing the ram resolve the issue? He has 128
megs and he has a fair amount of applications. Thanks in
advance.

The most common BLUE SCREEN of DEath is with video cards and bad memory try replacing them to see if that works.

CWatters

Wrote pattern 00000000H, read back pattern 00080000H

Looks like a stuck bit..

But see this discussion..

http://zurich.csail.mit.edu/hypermail/thinkpad/2003-10/0285.html

Perhaps it's time he sold it or does he still have any warranty
cover/insurance?
He has 128
megs and he has a fair amount of applications. Thanks in
advance.

I know memory for a portable isn't as cheap as that for a desktop but 128M
is only just enough for WinXP. I would buy the largest single module he can
afford. 512M? I suggest he gets it on one single module in case the fault
is actually with one of the sockets. eg If he has one faulty socket he can
always move it to the other.