Sysprep XP (2.0) problems

Dave

I am trying to have Sysprep XP (2.0) simply work the same
way it did under 2000 Professional. We had the 2000 Prof
version run mini-setup, read the license key, logon to the
domain and a few other things specificed in the
sysprep.inf file.

With Sysprep XP, nothing seems to work right. First off,
the GUI is confusing, I am not sure whether to run Factory
Mode or Reseal Mode, again all I am trying to do is have
sysprep do what is specified in the inf file to prepare it
for imaging and shut down. When I restart the PC, some
things are done as specified in the inf file such as join
the domain, but other things are not, such as reading the
XP license key which is prompted for after restarting even
though it is in the inf. Everything is entered exactly as
specified in the INF. Mini startup also gets hung for 10-
20 minutes trying to join the domain and fails for some
reason. Any ideas on how to get sysprep to work like it
used to?

Thanks.

Im having the same problem. Sysprep 2.0 really bites.
I cannot get the key to stick either. I believe that you
require a special open lincense key to have this feature
work. Otherwise you will need to enter ever key for
every PC..

Did you have any luck with the XP activation?
I cannot seem to create a image that doesnot require
activation even though the PCs were activated by Dell
before I received them..

George

Todd

Hey guys...

I am having issues with Sysprep XP too, but I have no
issue with the license key. Sysprep 2.0 is slightly
different than Sysprep 1.1. Some of the commands are
different, so you can't use the sysprep.inf file exactly
as you did in Sysprep 1.1.

Under the [userdata] section, I have the following line:

ProductKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Put your key in exactly how you see it here, except
without the X's, of course.

Take a look at the help files if this doesnt help.
Something you have enabled in your sysprep.inf file may
be causing the problem.

Hope this helps!

Steve

It is not the license key it is the version of disk that
you use to install XP Pro, if it is an upgrade or standard
version you need to enter the product key every time even
if you have the correct key in your sysprep.inf, or the
other files which can be read at istallation time but if
you have the OEM or volume licienced version it will read
the key from the sysprep.inf file.

Steve

Scott McArthur [MSFT]

Dave,

If you are specifying the key in the sysprep.inf and you are still getting
prompted for it then the installation and key are not matched up. For
example you must use a retail key with a retail installation, VL key with
VL installation, MSDN key with MSDN installation. As Tod mentioned the
correct entry is productkey. If you want to ensure you have a valid
sysprep.inf use the setupmgr.exe utility in deploy.cab to create your inf.
It is a good starting point

Scott McArthur[MS]
Microsoft Windows Server Setup Support