Sysprep question

Ty

Deploying XP machines using premade image distributed
using Ghost software. Using Sysprep for automated setup
regarding: Volume product id, sid generation, admin
password, etc... I have set up Sysprep folder with
sysprep.inf configured inside at C:\ location. I run the
mini setup, with Reseal.
Problem: When Sysprep sets up new machine, the product id
screen shows. I have studied the KB article on this bug,
but the fix they offer does not exist. They also say it
was first fixed with SP1, however, my image is up to date
with all hotfixes, and still showing the screen.
Anyone help me stop the Product id screen from showing?
Please?

Thank you

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Ty,
What article are you refering to?
Do you have the product key entered into you sysprep.inf?
Are you encrypting the product key?
Can you post the sysprep.inf? IF so xxx out any information like the
product key or passwords.
What are the first 8 digits under registered to on My Computer Properties?
Usually if you are prompted for the product key either the syntax is
incorrect in the inf, the product key used does not match the media that
the image was installed with, or the product key was not entered properly
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Ty

Darrell......thanks for the quick reply. To answer your
questions:
This is the article I referenced:
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 307316
Product key is entered in sysprep.inf
It is not encrypted.
Not being prompted to enter any information during
sysprep setup. ......(it is all automated). The product
id is an enterprise volume license, it is entered
properly...the product id screen just shows for 5-10
seconds. Would like to setup without this key showing.
I don't have the sysprep folder available here
now.....can get it tomorrow if necessary.
Thanks for the help!

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Subject: Sysprep question
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:43:13 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

Deploying XP machines using premade image distributed
using Ghost software. Using Sysprep for automated setup
regarding: Volume product id, sid generation, admin
password, etc... I have set up Sysprep folder with
sysprep.inf configured inside at C:\ location. I run the
mini setup, with Reseal.
Problem: When Sysprep sets up new machine, the product id
screen shows. I have studied the KB article on this bug,
but the fix they offer does not exist. They also say it
was first fixed with SP1, however, my image is up to date
with all hotfixes, and still showing the screen.
Anyone help me stop the Product id screen from showing?
Please?

Thank you

.

Rob

Ive noticed the exact thing youre talking about. The product key entry
screen does pop up briefly with the populated key during minisetup, then
continues on unattended on it's own. I just ignored that, but now that you
mention it, it would be nice if that didn't pop up at all. On the other
hand, the end user can always retrieve the key using a utility like AIDA32.

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:43:13 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

Deploying XP machines using premade image distributed
using Ghost software. Using Sysprep for automated setup
regarding: Volume product id, sid generation, admin
password, etc... I have set up Sysprep folder with
sysprep.inf configured inside at C:\ location. I run the
mini setup, with Reseal.
Problem: When Sysprep sets up new machine, the product id
screen shows. I have studied the KB article on this bug,
but the fix they offer does not exist. They also say it
was first fixed with SP1, however, my image is up to date
with all hotfixes, and still showing the screen.
Anyone help me stop the Product id screen from showing?
Please?

Thank you

.

Brian Desmond [MVP]

Ty,

Could you post your sysprep.inf file here? That will make diagnosing the
problem a lot easier. :)

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
(e-mail address removed)12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:43:13 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

Deploying XP machines using premade image distributed
using Ghost software. Using Sysprep for automated setup
regarding: Volume product id, sid generation, admin
password, etc... I have set up Sysprep folder with
sysprep.inf configured inside at C:\ location. I run the
mini setup, with Reseal.
Problem: When Sysprep sets up new machine, the product id
screen shows. I have studied the KB article on this bug,
but the fix they offer does not exist. They also say it
was first fixed with SP1, however, my image is up to date
with all hotfixes, and still showing the screen.
Anyone help me stop the Product id screen from showing?
Please?

Thank you

.

Ty

I realize the product key can be attained using different
methods, but those methods require some knowledge and
skill. This product id is simply given to them by
appearing on screen.

Here is the sysprep.inf I am using. Not much to it. Have
changed specific info for posting here. Your help is
appreciated.

;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
OemSkipEula=Yes

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=xxxxxxxx
Autologon=0
OEMSkipRegional=1
OEMDuplicatorstring="xxx Standard Image 3.1x (Core OS
Only)"
TimeZone=4
OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
ProductID=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
FullName="Our Company xxxxx"
OrgName="Townxx, Statexx, Zipxx"
ComputerName=*

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
SystemLocale=00000409
UserLocale=00000409
InputLocale=0409:00000409

[SetupMgr]
DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386
DistShare=whistlerdist

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=xxx

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes
[...]

and
confers no rights
From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:43:13 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

Sorry I misread the issue you were reporting initially, the article helped
to understand what the issue was.
So did you 1) create a slipstream install point with Windows XP and SP1 and
they do the installation of Windows XP.

or 2) did you do an install of Windows XP , then update it to SP1?

Scenario one is the required method to get this to work. Scenario two does
not resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:43:13 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

I have created image using original XP, then updating SP1
and other hotfixes to the image on the server. Since I
have set up the image this way.....Does this mean there
is no way to hide the product id screen during the
running of Sysprep? Not sure I have time to completely
rebuild image.
Again....thanks for your help!!

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:39:20 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties,
and
confers no rights
From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:43:13 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

The changes that are neded are done as part of setup, so the installation
of the OS needs to have the files in place when setup takes place.
Since SP1 updated the installation the files were present when the OS was
installed so there isn't a way to hide the screen unless you rebuild the
image.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:43:13 -0700
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

Just FYI, this brief appearance of the license key happens with 2003 Server
as well, and there is no service pack install involved with that (yet).

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:43:13 -0700
Newsgroups:
[...]

Darrell.......thanks for the info. Wish there was another
way...but at least I know now...and won't waste anymore
time trying to tweak sysprep to hide it.

I appreciate your time, and knowledge.

Thanks again.

BTW....wouldn't it be a simple change to allow the hiding
of this page without originally creating a slipstream
install point? Is there a reason for the appearance of
the product id screen? Just curious!

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ty" <[email protected]>

From: "Ty" <[email protected]>