sysprep problems

Michael Carty

Hello,

This is my first post here. It looks like a good place. I
am after spending my entire day trying to restore a
system I have ghosted using sysprep. I have syspreped a
three year olf compaq pentium III and wanted to restore
the image to a new Pentium 4. All the drivers are
different on both P.C's. I transferred the imaged using
ghost. Now the P.C I have ghosted to is blue screening
every time I try to start the P.C . I am pretty certain
this is due to different HAL's but I am currently reading
3 Windows XP books. Two of them say that sysprep will not
work with different HAL's but the third says that you can
using the new version (V 2.0) of the sysprep utility. I
was wondering can anyone help me or give me some advise
about how I could get this to work, if it is possible at
all ?

Thanks in advance
Michael

Scott McArthur [MSFT]

Michael,

Sysprep still has a limitation with the HAL types. You need separate
images for different HAL types. For more information take a look at the
following KB:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;309283

You can see if this is a the issue by first determining the HAL type on the
source machine in device manager by expanding the computer branch. Then do
a clean install on the target computer to see what HAL type is used by
checking device manager.

You can also encounter this issue if the mass storage devices are different
on the source and target. Review the BMSD switch in deploy.chm in
deploy.cab on the CD for more information on how you can account for
different mass storage drivers

Scott McArthur[MS]
Microsoft Windows Server Setup Support