Sysprep and not -XP natively supported drivers

Matthieu Gaillet

Hello,

I just got a new machine which waits only for me to be installed. I'd like
to transfer my old pc's XP installation on the new one, so that I don't need
to reinstall all the things (takes more than weeks)

I found that Sysprep should be the tool for me. But I encountered the famous
STOP blue screen of the death screen at startup on the new machine. I
discovered the [SysprepMassStorage] trick, but it still doesn't work.

I suppose this is due to the fact that my new PC is using the all-in-one
Intel 855GME chipset that XP doesn't natively supports. Right ?

HERE IS MY QUESTION :) How do I "preinstall" the driver coming from Intel
so that Sysprep will include them in its [SysprepMassStorage] section ?
I installed them on my PC using a special command line switch, they are all
there on the disk but are still not included in the sysprep listing. I read
some strange instructions about a $OEM$ folder to be found somewhere on the
PC but it is not clear for me.

Could you help me ?

Thanks !

Matthieu

Adin Sabic

I don't think sysprep is the tool for this. YOu will only
need to use sysprep for imaging to multiple machines so
there isnt conflict on the network. What you should be
doing is "an inplace upgrade" copy your old pc's hard
drive to your new pc hard drive (a tool like symantec
ghost is good for this). Then do an inplace upgrade of XP
on your new machine to avoid the blue screen. I've done
this many times. Just type in google "Windows XP in place
upgrade"

Matthieu Gaillet

Sounds strange... Seems to me that in-place upgrade is used when upgrading
an existing older version of Windows... Because I want to use *that*
version, I don't see the need to upgrade.

What I need is simply that the hardware profile of my installation is
resetted and that the peripherals are detected again to reflect the new
hardware profile of my pc. Isn't Sysprep the right tool for that, even if
it's primarily made to duplicate the installation multiple times ?

So my first question stays : How do I prepare an existing installation to be
with new drivers so that they're available for sysprep to transfer on the
new machine ? Especially for this IDE controller which seems to be critical.

Matt

--
Matt

.

can you just hookup your old HD to new computer and copy image(ghost or
drive image) of old one to new one.
and upon first boot, XP will either recongnize/prompt new hw devices.

Matthieu Gaillet

Not a so bad idea, but I guess that if my syspreparated partition doesn't
boot, a non-syspreparated partition will not boot either...

The problem is not related to sysprep ! It's only the fact that XP tries to
find a suitable driver for the new HDD controller in the new PC which does
not succeed... leading to a BSotD...

If you look into what an inplace upgrade is you'll soon
see it makes sense. It is not a standard upgrade, but
rather a repair of your installation. It keeps all
programs, registry and settings it only replaces system
files and reinstalls hard ware! which is what you need.
Im a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and use this
for situations like yours.
[...]

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Matthieu,
What is the exact error message that you are seeing?
You can try installing the mass storage driver before moving the
installation over to the new system. That way the driver is already
present on the system so it can load during the first boot.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Matthieu Gaillet" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

Matthieu Gaillet

What is the exact error message that you are seeing?

At the very beginning of the boot process (1-2 sec later), a blue screen
stating

STOP 0x0000007B (...)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

You can try installing the mass storage driver before moving the
installation over to the new system.

Indeed, and I tried. But I didn't tried to transfer the image to the new
system because I saw that in the built [SysprepMassStorage] section there
was no new line related to my HDD controller...
That way the driver is already
present on the system so it can load during the first boot.

I hoped so... But it don't seems to be the case. Any idea to make it appear
in the syprep.inf file, which is following me mandatory in order for the
system to be bootable ?

Thanks !

Matt

Matthieu Gaillet

Sorry. I tried. Result is a mess : lot of settings are lost, the machine is
not stable, I don't think it's the best way to do it. Repairing is for the
desesperate cases, which is not mine.

Matt

[...]

Change the start value in the registry of the new controller so that it
automatically loads.
If the driver is installed it should show up when you sysprep to build the
mass storage section.
Was the start value set to boot in the system or disabled after you
installed it?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Matthieu Gaillet" <[email protected]>