Switching Identities

I understand that with Windows Mail, you cannot switch identities. However,
I hate having to log out and switch users to simply have my husband check his
messages. This cannot possibly be the only way... oh Outlook I miss you
already. I also hate (even more) having to have his messages in with mine
(we're separate political parties for a start). One of the suggestions was
to create a filter and put his into a folder, but that doesn't work in the
real world for unanticipated emails that he will get.
Please tell me there is a nice option like the one that Microsoft took away
from us in Outlook (switching identities). Also, Microsoft if you happen to
answer this, please spare me the "it was for our protection" line. Sorry
about the attitude, but I've been investing a lot of time into this, and
coming up short. The prior way worked, and it's sad I can't have it anymore.
If their annoying new email version can't solve this, can you suggest a
third party that Microsoft hasn't already bought. Money is no object!!!!!!
Thank you to everyone willing to help.

Mac

Why not just go to Tools/Accounts and add your hubbies account(s)?

"Switching Identities in email" <Switching Identities in
news:[email protected]...

Gary VanderMolen

Switching Identities in email said:
I understand that with Windows Mail, you cannot switch identities. However,
I hate having to log out and switch users to simply have my husband check his
messages. This cannot possibly be the only way... oh Outlook I miss you
already. I also hate (even more) having to have his messages in with mine
(we're separate political parties for a start). One of the suggestions was
to create a filter and put his into a folder, but that doesn't work in the
real world for unanticipated emails that he will get.

Why wouldn't it work for "unanticipated emails that he will get"?
You need to filter on the account, rather than on the 'To' or 'From' address
or the subject line.

Gary,
That's such a great point. First off, I'm blonde (sorry to all of the smart
ones). I did what Mac said and added hubby's accout. You are all giving me
amazing advice. I seriously needed it in simple form :) so thanks for
that!!
I'm off to do these things. I may even need to extend an apology to
Microsoft if it's as easy as this looks!!
Have a wonderful day, and thanks for being so willing to help!
Linda

Thank you Dave. I'm initially going to do the things Mac and Gary suggested.
This is my backup plan. Where there's a will there's a way right? :)
Thanks again!!
Linda

Mac, goodness it sounds so easy. My fingers are crossed that your brilliant
suggestion will solve my frustration :)
Thank you so very much! Off to try it!
Linda

...winston

The quantity of accounts does not dedicate additional inboxes for each account. If it was possible one could add Avogadro's number of accounts yet only one inbox would be present for receiving all of Avogadro's mail.
...winston

: Why not just go to Tools/Accounts and add your hubbies account(s)?
:
: (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
: : >I understand that with Windows Mail, you cannot switch identities.
: >However,
: > I hate having to log out and switch users to simply have my husband check
: > his
: > messages. This cannot possibly be the only way...

Mac

Unless your hubby has stuff he don't want you seeing ;-)

"Switching Identities in email"

Mac

Not sure what you are talking about - but I've moved on to Windows Live Mail
beta, so can't really comment too much on the soon to be defunct Windows
Mail...

The quantity of accounts does not dedicate additional inboxes for each
account. If it was possible one could add Avogadro's number of accounts yet
only one inbox would be present for receiving all of Avogadro's mail.
...winston

: Why not just go to Tools/Accounts and add your hubbies account(s)?
:
: "Switching Identities in email" <Switching Identities in
: (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
: : >I understand that with Windows Mail, you cannot switch identities.
: >However,
: > I hate having to log out and switch users to simply have my husband
check
: > his
: > messages. This cannot possibly be the only way...

Gary VanderMolen

Glad to have helped.
The only thing to watch out for:
When you or hubby start a new email, it always selects the default
account as the 'From' identity. You may have to adjust this by clicking
in the 'From' line and selecting the other account.
Thankfully, replies and forwards automatically choose the identity
associated with the account that downloaded the original message.

Gary VanderMolen

Gary VanderMolen

It's easy enough to add an additional 'inbox'. In fact, when one create a new
message rule, you can create a new destination folder on the fly.

Gary VanderMolen

The quantity of accounts does not dedicate additional inboxes for each account. If it was possible one could add Avogadro's number
of accounts yet only one inbox would be present for receiving all of Avogadro's mail.
...winston

: Why not just go to Tools/Accounts and add your hubbies account(s)?
:
: "Switching Identities in email" <Switching Identities in
: (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
: : >I understand that with Windows Mail, you cannot switch identities.
: >However,
: > I hate having to log out and switch users to simply have my husband check
: > his
: > messages. This cannot possibly be the only way...

Great to know! So far, I think I've set it up correctly... now we wait :)
I hope you are getting paid for your time. You have added great comments to
many of the threads I've seen... what a nice guy!! I really appreciate your
time!

Julian

"Switching Identities in email"
Great to know! So far, I think I've set it up correctly... now we wait
:)
I hope you are getting paid for your time. You have added great comments
many of the threads I've seen... what a nice guy!! I really appreciate
your
time!

It is true that Gary* deserves paying for the service he provides here,
from users, ISPs and M$ since he's saving them all real, not insubstantial,
costs, but it not the case.

* not alone but foremost (with Frank)

Further he fields calls from some seriously rude ingrates
and/or ignoramous with a remarkable equanimity.

Gary VanderMolen

Thanks for the compliments. Being retired, I'm here mainly
to stay mentally sharp and up-to-date in my chosen field.
Computers have always been a fun hobby for me.

Gary VanderMolen

Gary VanderMolen

Julian said:
It is true that Gary* deserves paying for the service he provides here,
from users, ISPs and M$ since he's saving them all real, not insubstantial,
costs, but it not the case.

Microsoft may not like some of my comments, but I call 'em as I see 'em.
So far they keep asking me back when there's a new beta test to be done.
* not alone but foremost (with Frank)

Further he fields calls from some seriously rude ingrates
and/or ignoramous with a remarkable equanimity.

OK, where do I send the check? :)

...winston

Then why suggest to add another account to a Windows Mail client when the request was to keep mail separate..i.e. in Windows Mail all mail goes to the same inbox.

..winston

: Not sure what you are talking about - but I've moved on to Windows Live Mail
: beta, so can't really comment too much on the soon to be defunct Windows
: Mail...
:
: : The quantity of accounts does not dedicate additional inboxes for each
: account. If it was possible one could add Avogadro's number of accounts yet
: only one inbox would be present for receiving all of Avogadro's mail.
: ...winston
:
: :: Why not just go to Tools/Accounts and add your hubbies account(s)?
::
:: "Switching Identities in email" <Switching Identities in
:: (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
:: :: >I understand that with Windows Mail, you cannot switch identities.
:: >However,
:: > I hate having to log out and switch users to simply have my husband
: check
:: > his
:: > messages. This cannot possibly be the only way...
:

...winston

One can create any named folder...but adding an account in WM will as you know deliver to the default Inbox until a rule is created to do otherwise.
..winston