svchost CPU spikes

Sebastiaan

Installed a machine at work with Vista business.
From the moment I log on I have a svchost.exe using 70% on core1 and 30% on
core2 for 2 seconds and then going idle for 4 seconds.
And it keeps doing that even if I don't have anything open or am doing
anything.
In resource monitor it says that the process is: svchost.exe
(LocalSystemNetworkRestricted).

Screenshot: http://resource.mezelf.com/taskmanager-vista.jpg
(The updatespeed was set at high.)

Machine : Intel C2D 1,8 with 3 GB memory
Mainboard: Asus P5B-E

What could be causing this?
This problem started right after install even. :S

Sebastiaan

Jon

Sebastiaan said:
Installed a machine at work with Vista business.
From the moment I log on I have a svchost.exe using 70% on core1 and 30%
on
core2 for 2 seconds and then going idle for 4 seconds.
And it keeps doing that even if I don't have anything open or am doing
anything.
In resource monitor it says that the process is: svchost.exe
(LocalSystemNetworkRestricted).

Screenshot: http://resource.mezelf.com/taskmanager-vista.jpg
(The updatespeed was set at high.)

Machine : Intel C2D 1,8 with 3 GB memory
Mainboard: Asus P5B-E

What could be causing this?
This problem started right after install even. :S

Sebastiaan

If you right-click that process svchost.exe in Task Manager, and choose 'Go
to service', you can see which services it is hosting, which will help you
to pin down which particular service(s) is/are causing the 'spikes'

Sebastiaan

Jon said:
"Sebastiaan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
If you right-click that process svchost.exe in Task Manager, and choose
'Go to service', you can see which services it is hosting, which will help
you to pin down which particular service(s) is/are causing the 'spikes'

I found that the service runs:
AudioEndpointBuild
CscService (offline files)
hidserv
Netman
PcaSvc (prg comp. ass. serv.)
SysMain (superfetch)
TabletInputService
TrkWks (Distr. Link track client)
UmRdpService
UxSms
WdiSystemHost
WPDBusEnum (Portable Dev. Enu. serv.)
wudfsvc (Wind. Drv Foundation)

I could stop all of them except wudfsvc (windows doesn't allow stopping that
one)
All didn't help.

A fear haunts me that perhaps only a reinstall of the machine might.
As the service tab doesn't show activity as a help to nail down the specific
process.

Sebastiaan

Jon

Sebastiaan said:
I found that the service runs:
AudioEndpointBuild
CscService (offline files)
hidserv
Netman
PcaSvc (prg comp. ass. serv.)
SysMain (superfetch)
TabletInputService
TrkWks (Distr. Link track client)
UmRdpService
UxSms
WdiSystemHost
WPDBusEnum (Portable Dev. Enu. serv.)
wudfsvc (Wind. Drv Foundation)

I could stop all of them except wudfsvc (windows doesn't allow stopping
that one)
All didn't help.

A fear haunts me that perhaps only a reinstall of the machine might.
As the service tab doesn't show activity as a help to nail down the
specific process.

Sebastiaan

msconfig (Start > msconfig) is a good tool for trouble-shooting that kind
of issue.

You could experiment by disabling some of the potential culprits in your
list (unchecking them via the Services tab), and see if the problem
disappears with a reboot. If it does then you have your culprit.

Sebastiaan

msconfig (Start > msconfig) is a good tool for trouble-shooting that kind
of issue.

You could experiment by disabling some of the potential culprits in your
list (unchecking them via the Services tab), and see if the problem
disappears with a reboot. If it does then you have your culprit.

After 2,5 hours and lots of reboots I got it down to 'Plug and Play'.
Which makes that I will have to life with it unless I reinstall.

Sebastiaan

Jon

Sebastiaan said:
After 2,5 hours and lots of reboots I got it down to 'Plug and Play'.
Which makes that I will have to life with it unless I reinstall.

Sebastiaan

Good job in pinning it down. Might be a particular device that you've got
attached to your system that's causing the problems.

Sebastiaan

Jon said:
Good job in pinning it down. Might be a particular device that you've got
attached to your system that's causing the problems.

Nothing special in the machine:
Asus P5B (with onboard LAN and audio)
ATI radeon 550
and the usual HDD/DVD

Sebastiaan

Kerry Brown

Sebastiaan said:
Nothing special in the machine:
Asus P5B (with onboard LAN and audio)
ATI radeon 550
and the usual HDD/DVD

Sebastiaan

Make sure you have the latest BIOS. Many Asus boards need a BIOS update to
work properly with Vista.

Sebastiaan

Make sure you have the latest BIOS. Many Asus boards need a BIOS update to
work properly with Vista.

Checked the BIOS and it's on the latest version for it.

Sebastiaan

Adam Albright

Hi,

I'm struggling with a similar problem, exept with me it seems to be
the "sysmain" or "superfetch" service. Stopping this service (or
disabling it in services.mcs) stops the CPU spikes.

I just want to know whether or not this service is critical for my PC
and of there is some kind of update available to fix this problem.

Thanking you in advance...

Bandit1984

Seeing brief spikes are normal. Blindly stopping any system service is
foolish. Vista does it's thing in a certain way. Unless you know what
each application, applet, service, process or script does, don't mess
with it.

As I've suggested several times download and use Autoruns. It is a
nifty free little application that gives a great deal of information
about what your system is doing. Study what's shown under the various
tabs and you'll learn much more about Vista's internal workings than
you ever will from any newsgroup or book.

One common reason for a slow or sluggish system is Windows can if you
let it start up all kinds of crap every time you boot. What a lot of
people don't known is things can be started in different ways form
uncommon locations in your Registry. These can eat away at system
resources and make you system slower than it needs to be robbing your
system of memory it could use for something else.

One thing AUTORUNS does is let you explorer what's happening. For
example if you click on it's Logon tab it shows what Windows is going
to start when you boot.

While many are aware of the Registry Key

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

They may not know things can also fire up from these keys:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts\Startup
HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts\Logon
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Shell

And several others using even more Registry hideouts like the common
Adobe Gamma Loader getting fired up from:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. Note
unlike the previous this one isn't in the Registry.

That's just scratching the surface. If you move on to the Explorer tab
you see HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Protocols\Handler and all the internal
crap Vista starts off plus a dozen more keys that each in turn fire up
a lot more things, sometimes junk you don't need.

Then if you really want to get curious check the Services tab and on a
average system you'll see around a hundred more listings. Using this
in combination with typing in 'services' from the Start Orb and
carefully see what happens when you change SOME services from
automatic, to manual or stop. Of course you shouldn't haphazardly mess
around, but this is one way to streamline what your system is doing
and turn off things you don't need.

Synapse Syndrome

Adam Albright said:
[...]

Using Autoruns together with Process Explorer (also from Systernals) is a
good combo.

ss.