Sussex where...?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
If you were going to purchase "Sussex Tomatoes" I'm guessing you would reasonably expect them to hail from... er... Sussex? Well that's what I thought too...

Until I read this:

Sainsbury's Sussex Tomatoes 200g

Country of Origin

Grown in United Kingdom, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Canary Islands, Morocco, Senegal, Sicily, Channel Islands
Source: Here

Who knew so many countries would also contain a county named Sussex! :eek: :lol:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
yes, supermarkets have been pulling the wool over our eyes for decades ... I have recently stopped buying fruit & veg from my local Asda (named to shame) in favour of the local market. We have a pretty good choice of 'British products' here.

I don't mined buying Spanish onions or Spanish oranges, I buy them for a reason as well as South African fruit & New Zealand lamb!

... I better quit while I'm still ahead.

oh, here is one Sussex Tomato grower worth buying from ... Eric Wall

:)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
If you were going to purchase "Sussex Tomatoes" I'm guessing you would reasonably expect them to hail from... er... Sussex? Well that's what I thought too...

Until I read this:

Source: Here

Who knew so many countries would also contain a county named Sussex! :eek: :lol:
Well, there's a Sussex in New Jersey and one in Delaware and likely lots of others in countries settled by the Brits. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Is not just a type and not where it's produced?
You mean is "Sussex" a variety of tomato..? I don't think so. Yesterday I spent some time Googling around just to check, but did not turn up any toms which were named Sussex.

We received our delivery a short time ago. Interestingly, the Sussex toms I'd ordered, were grown in Holland, and their variety is Campari. :lol: Even more interestingly... since yesterday, the listing which specifically mentioned "Sussex" toms has disappeared; it has been replaced by "medium vine toms." (That's what we received, and it was NOT a substitution either.

Hmm, wonder if someone at Sainsbugs is a PCR fan? lol. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Cornish Pasty; Melton Mowbray Pork Pie; Yorkshire Pudding; Welsh rarebit and I could probably fill a pamphlet with cheeses.....

And my point is? Dunno, haven't got one :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Cornish Pasty; Melton Mowbray Pork Pie; Yorkshire Pudding; Welsh rarebit and I could probably fill a pamphlet with cheeses.....
Lol... I'm ill at the moment, so have a lot of time to look-up useless pieces of info to bore everyone with. :blush: Anyway, the Cornish Pasty and Melton Mowbray names are now protected:
Since 1993, the European Union (EU) has provided a framework that gives legal protection for named regional food products against imitation across the EU.
There is even a Cornish Pasty Association! It conjours thoughts of militant pastry products. :D

I guess my real point, (and in case anyone hasn't caught-on, I'm actually being a bit tongue-in-cheek, not jumping up-and-down or anything lol) is that you wouldn't expect something labeled "Welsh lamb" to come from NZ.

Okay okay, I will creep back to my cat-basket again :lol:

Reaction score
I agree with Taffycat. Has any one seen just how many places make Cheddar cheese,every where but Cheddar?
historian

Ask a Question