Suspicious - perf counters

G

George Hester

In this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295563

it talks about what happens to be a major issue in Windows 2000. Performance counters. I just hope Windows 2003 has addressed these issues.

Anyway I am getting this in my Event viewer:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event Category: None
Event ID: 41
Date: 12/11/2003
Time: 8:52:12 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MyComputer
Description:
WMI ADAP was unable to create object index 26416 for Performance Library FileReplicaConn because no value was found in the 009 subkey

No matter how many times I add:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FileReplicaConn\Performance]
"Disable Performance Counters"=dword:00000001

as explained in this artoicle:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;266416

to fix this issue this registry entry always disappears. It never survives. I'm tired of attacking this problem this way. It doesn't work.

So lets see if KB295563 can shed any light on the issue.

What I will do is compare what they say with a perf counter that is not giving the warning with the one above FileReplicaConn that is.

In this article KB295563 Microsoft says:

If "FileReplicaConn" is found in the list more than once, you should note the associated indexes for each occurrence. Whichever index matches the "First Counter" value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\FileReplicaConn\Performance is the correct index and should be left in the registry. You should delete each incorrect occurrence of the "FileReplicaConn" pair and the associated counter pairs.

I did the same thing with FileReplicaSet since this counter is not giving a warning.

Both FileReplicaConn and FileReplicaSet occur once and only once in;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009 as seen using regedt32.

So that issue is not ocurring.

But moving on to what Microsoft says above "Whichever index matches the 'First Counter' ..." this cannot be right. For my working counter matches the Name value "Object List" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FileReplicaSet\Performance NOT "FirstCounter." If I was to do what KB295563 says to do I would be messing up a working counter in the registry.

So I believe KB295563 is flawed. Can't be right.

What I have noticed is that in the working counter I have here in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FileReplicaSet\Linkage
Name: Export
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
Data: _Total c:\winnt\sysvol\domain

but in the bum counter I have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FileReplicaConn\Linkage
Name: Export
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
Data:

Nada for the Data.

Anyone else with a FileReplicaConn counter NOT giving warnings in the Event Viewer who is on a Domain Controller Windows 2000 Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 and has nada for the Data in this Key and Name? I know it's a long shot...

Ask a Question