Summing Every Nth Cell (rows)

Richard Crane

Hi, I'm trying to sum a large spreadsheet, with the value I'd like to
sum in the row in cells B, D, F, H...........etc. i.e. every second
cell. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks

Chip Pearson

Richard,

Use a formula like the following:

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A10*(MOD(A1:A10,2)=1))

This will sum the odd numbered rows in A1:A10. Change the ending
"=1" to "=0" to sum the even numbered rows.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Richard Crane >" <<[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Richard Crane

=SUMPRODUCT($B$8:$FA$8*(MOD($B$8:$FA$8,2)=0))

Above is the formula I've entered, but it's returning "0". Am I doing
something wrong? p.s. the cells that are being summed are all Vlookups,
does this make a difference, as when I copy, paste special values I get
value of 140, still well short od the 79 million I should have!

Chip Pearson

Sorry, the formula should be

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A10*(MOD(ROW(A1:A10),2)=1))

--

Chip Pearson said:
Richard,

Use a formula like the following:

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A10*(MOD(A1:A10,2)=1))

This will sum the odd numbered rows in A1:A10. Change the ending
"=1" to "=0" to sum the even numbered rows.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Richard Crane >" <<[email protected]>

Richard Crane

As I'm working horizontally i.e. summing every second column, can
assume I'm changing row->column in these fomulas.

p.s. Thanks for the help folks

RagDyeR

This should sum every second column from B:Z in row 4:

=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN($B$4:$Z$4),2)=0)*($B$4:$Z$4))
--

HTH,

RD

message As I'm working horizontally i.e. summing every second column, can I