sumif maybe?

Esradekan

lets try again.

Column Headers are (B1:p1) Staff 1 Staff 2 etc
A2:A27 is a date range (fortnightly dates range called "Date")
B2:B27 are figures relevant to the dates for Staff 1, staff 2 (C2:C27)
etc
I need to find the total value of the figures for each month.
I have January, February etc in C31:N21 (to December) and require the
totals for each staff member for each month. Staff members listed
B32:B61

Staff1 figures are named "Staff1", Staff2 are named "Staff2" etc.

what formula can i use?

TIA
Esra

Bob Phillips

Stick to the one thread and stop wasting people's time by replicating
questions.

Esradekan

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

Dont get uptight Bob, maybe if you had of answered my earlier post, I
wouldnt of thought that i wasnt so clear with that post and wouldnt
have decided to post again, trying to be clearer.

I appreciate your efforts in answering posts to this newsgroup, I
understand you probably dont have to, but Bob, I dont need 'abuse'
either. I have been polite with you, please be so with me. Dont
"tell" me, ask me. You get better results with sugar than you do with
vinegar.

I see you finally answered my post, I guess because you saw this one.
Im still no further ahead with this and your right, your solution did
not work.

Still TIA,
Esra

Don Guillett

Bob is absolutely correct in that you should stay in the original post.
Also, please top post. We answer questions here on a purely voluntary basis
and, if you want answers, you need to learn how to fully explain your
question the first time, with a layout posted and before/after examples. You
do yourself NO good by berating the person trying to help you.

If your date column is really dates and you only want the month then delete
the year part of Bob's formula. If you want for one then add that parameter
to the formula.

If desired, you may send your workbook to my address below along with
examples as stated and I will try to find time to take a look.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
[...]

I am not getting uptight, I am just telling you how to conduct yourself in a
sensible manner if you want us to continue to give free help, we are under
no obligations to help, and it is up to you to conduct yourself in a manner
that does not antagonise those that you seek help from. Multiple threads
does not fit that description IMO.

If you think I was being abusive, I think you must have led a very sheltered
life. I was direct, but certainly not abusive.

And check the times on the previous post, you will see that all of my posts
in that thread are before your first post in this. So you clearly decided to
ignore my comment and open a new thread for what reason I know not.

I will now bow out, I wish you well in your search for a solution, but I
will not be participating in seeking it any further.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

[...]

Firstly Bob, what does IMO mean?

Secondly, everybody must 'learn' how to post, wether its top or
bottom, seems trivial to me but if thats your preference i will do
so. Thirdly, I simply was just trying to explain myself a bit better,
wasnt it your words "but I do not understand the deetails." Therefore
I dont see the problem. Your comment to me was one of TELLING me, not
asking me (therefore abusive in manner) which of course I would have
done had the roles been reversed. How do you know if I know about
ettiquette or not? Only fair.

But thats OK Bob, I will take the blame for what went wrong - a simple
case of misinterpretation of what you said. Guess it happens when we
are a global society huh?

Esra

Peo Sjoblom

IMO = In My Opinion.

The thing with multiposting is that sometimes you spend a lot of time and
effort to help someone with a complicated problem, you post it only to
discover that the OP (original poster) has post the same question again
where 2 other people have spend considerable effort and maybe time as well
to come up with the same answer. I can tell you it doesn't feel good. You
shouldn't post again unless you don't get any answer at all in maybe 24
hours. All people in these newsgroups/forums do it for free and are not in
any way associated with Microsoft. Secondly by posting the same question
twice you will screw up the indexing somewhat for the search engines that
other people can use to find the answers. Since most of the regulars are
using newsreaders your original post won't disappear the same way it does in
a web forum. You are not the worst offender far from it, some people think
it is a marvelous idea to put URGENT in the subject line and post the same
question in multiple newsgroups/forums that really ticks me off.

Anyway hope this help in your understanding of why some regulars (and Bob is
certainly one of the most knowledgeable and frequent posters when it comes
to answering questions) get somewhat irritable when people multipost.

Here are some hints and tips done way back but still current.

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/newposte.htm

Peo Sjoblom

Firstly Bob, what does IMO mean?

Secondly, everybody must 'learn' how to post, wether its top or
bottom, seems trivial to me but if thats your preference i will do
so. Thirdly, I simply was just trying to explain myself a bit better,
wasnt it your words "but I do not understand the deetails." Therefore
I dont see the problem. Your comment to me was one of TELLING me, not
asking me (therefore abusive in manner) which of course I would have
done had the roles been reversed. How do you know if I know about
ettiquette or not? Only fair.

But thats OK Bob, I will take the blame for what went wrong - a simple
case of misinterpretation of what you said. Guess it happens when we
are a global society huh?

Esra

Esradekan

Thank you, all I can say is "most informative",,,and of course I will
heed this.

Esra

Esradekan

Don Guillett wrote:

[much snipped]
Also, please top post.

[OT]

I usually refrain from participating in top- vs bottom-posting debacles,
but I do not recall any mention of a "top posting rule" here. Or is that
your personal preference?

Both methods have merit. IME, in technical discussions the latter is
preferred and more natural.

YMMV.

Writing from the right is natural for chinese people too
Whats natural for one may not be for others.
Just a thought.

Esra

David Biddulph

Top-posting has been the widely accepted preference on the Excel newsgroups
for some time.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/posting.htm
for two references.
--
David Biddulph

smartin said:
Don Guillett wrote:

[much snipped]
Also, please top post.

[OT]

I usually refrain from participating in top- vs bottom-posting debacles,
but I do not recall any mention of a "top posting rule" here. Or is that
your personal preference?

Both methods have merit. IME, in technical discussions the latter is
preferred and more natural.

YMMV.

Don Guillett

If you think about it, it is NOT natural to have to page down to the bottom
to read a post. With top posting it's right in front of you. Most here
agree. Some don't....
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
smartin said:
Don Guillett wrote:

[much snipped]
Also, please top post.

[OT]

I usually refrain from participating in top- vs bottom-posting debacles,
but I do not recall any mention of a "top posting rule" here. Or is that
your personal preference?

Both methods have merit. IME, in technical discussions the latter is
preferred and more natural.

YMMV.

Esradekan

But what about the thought that if you read the 'whole' of the posts
to see what has been happening - so to speak - its natural to read the
original post first, at the top, and then following posts after that.

But it doesnt matter, whatever you guys think is best I will do. I DO
still need a solution for my original question and I think this thread
is getting way off topic.

Esra

If you think about it, it is NOT natural to have to page down to the bottom
to read a post. With top posting it's right in front of you. Most here
agree. Some don't....
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

Don Guillett wrote:
[much snipped]
Also, please top post.

I usually refrain from participating in top- vs bottom-posting debacles,
but I do not recall any mention of a "top posting rule" here. Or is that
your personal preference?
Both methods have merit. IME, in technical discussions the latter is
preferred and more natural.
YMMV.- Hide quoted

Esradekan

You know something, I have learnt a thing or two here this time
around. I was relatively new at posting here, just for the odd thing
now and again. I post using google and during the process of viewing
the posts, I displayed them differently. NOW I can see the merits of
top posting. It does make sense. I also never meant to piss anybody
off and it wouild seem I have done that. I always treat people how
they treat me. So if your one of the people I have pissed off, I
apologise. Hell I never even knew the subject line had been changed
of the thread (OT). Im still learning and i guess I always will be
learning.

I do though, still need a simple formula. I have changed my worksheet
around to be more 'user friendly', but the original problem still
exists, cells I can change to suit. Im not very experienced like you
guys in Excel, but I do have that knowledge to do that. I hope that
someone can qustill help me.

Again, TIA
Esra

Don Guillett wrote:
[much snipped]
Also, please top post.
[OT]
I usually refrain from participating in top- vs bottom-posting debacles,
but I do not recall any mention of a "top posting rule" here. Or is that
your personal preference?
Both methods have merit. IME, in technical discussions the latter is
preferred and more natural.
YMMV.- Hide qustill help me.

Again, TIA
Esra

Don Guillett

Let's see. As I recall, in an earlier post of mine I offered to take a look.
IF.....
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
[...]

message
Don Guillett wrote:
[much snipped]
Also, please top post.
[OT]
I usually refrain from participating in top- vs bottom-posting
debacles,
but I do not recall any mention of a "top posting rule" here. Or is
that
your personal preference?
Both methods have merit. IME, in technical discussions the latter is
preferred and more natural.
YMMV.- Hide qustill help me.

Again, TIA
Esra

Esradekan

Yes and I emailed you the workbook, assumed you didnt get time to look
at it, because that was yesterday. I thank you for the offer.

Esra
TIA

Don Guillett wrote:
[much snipped]
Also, please top post.
[OT]
I usually refrain from participating in top- vs bottom-posting
debacles,
but I do not recall any mention of a "top posting rule" here. Or is
that
your personal preference?
Both methods have merit. IME, in technical discussions the latter is
preferred and more natural.
YMMV.- Hide qustill help me.

Again, TIA
Esra- Hide quoted text -

Don Guillett

Apparently it became lost in cyberland because I never saw it. Care to
re-send and I'll take a look tomorrow.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Don Guillett wrote:
[much snipped]
Also, please top post.
[OT]
I usually refrain from participating in top- vs bottom-posting
debacles,
but I do not recall any mention of a "top posting rule" here. Or is
that
your personal preference?
Both methods have merit. IME, in technical discussions the latter is
preferred and more natural.
YMMV.- Hide qustill help me.

Again, TIA
Esra- Hide quoted text -

Esradekan

Emailed again now, hopefully you will get it soon.

TY for your help.

Esra

Don Guillett wrote:
[much snipped]
Also, please top post.
[OT]
I usually refrain from participating in top- vs bottom-posting
debacles,
but I do not recall any mention of a "top posting rule" here. Or is
that
your personal preference?
Both methods have merit. IME, in technical discussions the latteris
preferred and more natural.
YMMV.- Hide qustill help me.
Again, TIA
Esra- Hide quoted text -

Esradekan

Don, I disagree (see my dissertation response to Esra if you care), but
it's cool. I do understand the bother factor, it just doesn't bother me
so much. Enjoy your weekend!

Can we end this (no solution) discussion now?

Esra

Esradekan

Well, everyone can relax, I have sorted it out. Thanks so much to the
people who helped me. Ended up redesigning the workbook, but was
worth it.

Esra