Access Sum function in an Access Form

Reaction score
I have been using an access database for book keeping. On my form header there are text boxes with sum functions. The great thing has been that no matter how I filter the records the sums reflect the filter. I can filter for date range, revenue source, any combination of filters and I get sums. Suddenly this no longer works. This may have coincided with converting from access 2003. I am using 2013 now. An example of a sum statement in a text box in the header would be =Sum([expenses]). When I open the form the box is blank. When I toggle through the records eventually it displays a total but it goes to blank when I filter even when there are values in the filtered records. The only total I get is the overall total.
I tried experimenting by creating a simple experimental database. There are only two fields other than the primary. One is a number and the other a text. I created a text box to sum the numbers. I entered values to create several records. The text box with the sum function is always blank. At one point as I was going through the records it did display a total but when I got to the last record and got to the new record the total disappeared. It never returned. I saw a post that suggested using the NZ function but it did not specify where to put it.
What can I do to get back the function?

Last edited:
Reaction score
:)I think the problem is solved. I opened the file on a different computer and everything works. It must be a problem with office 365 on that computer. I will reinstall and it should work.

Ask a Question