Suggestion for the Pricelessware page structure.

John Corliss

Rather than having usenet programs listed under "Internet", why not have
all usenet and internet programs listed under a section named "Online
related) or somesuch? Usenet is not the internet.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls.

Mel

Rather than having usenet programs listed under "Internet", why not have
all usenet and internet programs listed under a section named "Online
related) or somesuch? Usenet is not the internet.

The programs are discussed on Usenet, but obtained via the Internet, so
the current terms work for me.

John Corliss

Mel said:
The programs are discussed on Usenet, but obtained via the Internet, so
the current terms work for me.

Mel,
Surely you're not serious. Using your logic, programs that are
currently listed under "Desktop" could also be listed under "Internet"
because they TOO are obtained "via the Internet".

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls.
No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware, viruses or warez
please.

Dewey Edwards

The programs are discussed on Usenet, but obtained via the Internet,

?? That statement is applicable to *every* program on the PL.
so the current terms work for me.

They presently work for me too. I doubt that newbies to the PL
would understand the Usenet/Internet difference. I have no problem
with "newsreaders" being found under "Internet". There, they are
findable by a newbie.

That said, I await more of this thread to see if better categories
are suggested.

\(ProteanThread\)

Dewey Edwards said:
?? That statement is applicable to *every* program on the PL.

They presently work for me too. I doubt that newbies to the PL
would understand the Usenet/Internet difference. I have no problem
with "newsreaders" being found under "Internet". There, they are
findable by a newbie.

That said, I await more of this thread to see if better categories
are suggested.

Why not simply create a sub category under internet called usenet ?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Rather than having usenet programs listed under "Internet", why
not have all usenet and internet programs listed under a section
named "Online related) or somesuch? Usenet is not the internet.

Usenet is effectively part of the internet now, and has been for a
while. The wikipedia entry says "Usenet is a distributed Internet
discussion system that evolved from a general purpose UUCP network
of the same name." And later on the page, "Today, almost all Usenet
traffic is carried over the Internet." No current significant
non-internet Usenet traffic is mentioned there, and I don't know of
any.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet>

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Why not simply create a sub category under internet called usenet ?

Currently, that subcategory is called "Newsreader". It might be a good
idea to change that to "Usenet Newsreader" to avoid confusion with
things that read RSS and Atom feeds.

Deer in the Headlights

Rather than having usenet programs listed under "Internet", why not have
all usenet and internet programs listed under a section named "Online
related) or somesuch? Usenet is not the internet.

Hmmm...it's pretty hard for me to connect to my newsgroups without an
Internet connection so the current structure works for me...

John Corliss

Dewey said:
?? That statement is applicable to *every* program on the PL.

They presently work for me too. I doubt that newbies to the PL
would understand the Usenet/Internet difference. I have no problem
with "newsreaders" being found under "Internet". There, they are
findable by a newbie.

That said, I await more of this thread to see if better categories
are suggested.

Dewey,
I think that "Online related" kinda covers that.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls.
No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware, viruses or warez
please.

Susan Bugher

John said:
Rather than having usenet programs listed under "Internet", why not have
all usenet and internet programs listed under a section named "Online
related) or somesuch? Usenet is not the internet.

Hi John,

It's true the name is not all inclusive. The "Internet" pages also
include chat, VOIP, FAX etc. etc. "Communication" would be a more
accurate name than "Internet".

My take on this is accuracy be damned. Use the word that *works* the best.

There are only 12 top level categories to choose from. AFAIK most people
choose the right category when they're looking for communications apps.
I think "Communication" would confuse people who are looking for
internet apps. IMO it's like calling all facial tissue "Kleenex" - not
accurate but easily understood.

Changing the name of the "Internet" pages would be a real PITA. *Many*
tables and links would have to be changed. If a change would make site
navigation easier ISTM it's worth doing - otherwise not. My 2 cents
worth on this. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

Mel

John said:
Surely you're not serious. Using your logic, programs that are
currently listed under "Desktop" could also be listed under "Internet"
because they TOO are obtained "via the Internet".
I thought I knew what you were talking about, but I guess I didn't.
Thanks for clearing up the meaning of what you were saying.

The Category Internet has been in use for a number of years on the PL
sites and "Internet" is the most widely accepted term for online access
to anything accessible via your ISP.

Changing the title from Internet to Online will not add to the success
of the PL Site, so I say leave the title as is. "Internet"

John Corliss

»Q« said:
Usenet is effectively part of the internet now, and has been for a
while. The wikipedia entry says "Usenet is a distributed Internet
discussion system that evolved from a general purpose UUCP network
of the same name." And later on the page, "Today, almost all Usenet
traffic is carried over the Internet." No current significant
non-internet Usenet traffic is mentioned there, and I don't know of
any.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet>

Wouldn't that be the difference between accessing usent via something
like Google vs reading it via an actual newsfeed?

--

Susan said:
[...]

Believe it or not, I agree that it's not a big issue. Long ago I
confused usenet with the internet in this group and I got flamed pretty
badly. Maybe that kind of response has stopped happening in the interim.

--

Mel said:
I thought I knew what you were talking about, but I guess I didn't.
Thanks for clearing up the meaning of what you were saying.

The Category Internet has been in use for a number of years on the PL
sites and "Internet" is the most widely accepted term for online access
to anything accessible via your ISP.

Changing the title from Internet to Online will not add to the success
of the PL Site, so I say leave the title as is. "Internet"

I can say that after I confused "Usenet" with the "Internet" in this
group years ago, I got yelled at pretty loudly by some regulars. Since
then, every time I look for a usenet program on the Pricelessware site,
I have to remind myself of the current arrangement or find it via a search.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls.
No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware, viruses or warez
please.

Mel

I can say that after I confused "Usenet" with the "Internet" in this
group years ago, I got yelled at pretty loudly by some regulars. Since
then, every time I look for a usenet program on the Pricelessware site,
I have to remind myself of the current arrangement or find it via a search.

Although getting yelled at by some regulars must have been a very
traumatic experience, it doesn't seem to have left any long term
physiological effects.

Searching the Internet has certain benefits over looking on the PL Site,
since new Freeware is being made available all the time, the PL Site
does not reflect these new additions.

Susan Bugher

»Q« said:

Currently, that subcategory is called "Newsreader". It might be a good
idea to change that to "Usenet Newsreader" to avoid confusion with
things that read RSS and Atom feeds.

Those are currently listed under a subcategory called "Get news" - a
name that could stand some improvement. ISTM it would be a good idea to
look at subcategories that are related to the "Newsreader" subcategory:
"Email And News Client", "Email And News Tool" etc. etc. before making
changes.

The acf index has subcategories that aren't on PL2005 but may be on
PL2006. ISTM we should consider both lists of categories.

The PL category index is here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005CategoryIndex.php

The acf category index is here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_CategoryIndex.php

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

It's true the name is not all inclusive. The "Internet" pages also
include chat, VOIP, FAX etc. etc. "Communication" would be a more
accurate name than "Internet".

But those things /are/ internet apps. (With the possible exception
of FAX software, which I don't see on the 2005 PL.)

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Wouldn't that be the difference between accessing usent via
something like Google vs reading it via an actual newsfeed?

No. When you use your newsreader, the reader is connecting to the
server via the internet. Also, the articles have travelled to your
server from each poster's server via the internet.

Browsers don't come into it, really. The internet is larger than the
web; the internet includes ftp, chat, bittorrent, etc.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Believe it or not, I agree that it's not a big issue. Long ago I
confused usenet with the internet in this group and I got flamed
pretty badly. Maybe that kind of response has stopped happening in
the interim.

Usenet and the internet are still not the same thing, and saying they
are might still get somebody flamed if he were stubborn enough about
it. Saying that the world wide web is the internet could lead to the
same thing.

The wikipedia has a list of more common internet services and
protocols, including Usenet.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet#Today.27s_Internet>

Some of the most used protocols in the Internet protocol suite
are IP, TCP, UDP, DNS, PPP, SLIP, ICMP, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, HTTP,
HTTPS, SSH, Telnet, FTP, LDAP, SSL, and TLS.

Some of the popular services on the Internet that make use of
these protocols are e-mail, Usenet newsgroups, file sharing, the
World Wide Web, Gopher, session access, WAIS, finger, IRC, MUDs,
and MUSHs. Of these, e-mail and the World Wide Web are clearly
the most used, and many other services are built upon them, such
as mailing lists and web logs.

Helen

Transportation: boats (ships, yachts, sail, motor, canoe, etc.), cars (Chevy,
Mercedes, Ford, Lexus, Toyota, etc., trains (locomotive, steam, Amtrak, freight,
etc., trucks (18 wheeler, pick-up, dump, tractor-trailer, cargo, passenger,
etc.,,, etc etc etc etc ad nauseous.

Suggestion: KISS method. It will get technical soon enough. Just like today's
phone books: you need a Ph D in library science to find anything!

If it ain't broke, don't 'fixit'.

Just my 1.99 cents worth.