An example of a GREAT freeware website policy.

John Corliss

Check out Nonags policy:

http://www.nonagsplus.com/software/sub3.asp

Heh. Money talks. Bull**it walks!

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No

Bob Adkins

Check out Nonags policy:

http://www.nonagsplus.com/software/sub3.asp

Heh. Money talks. Bull**it walks!

Nonags used to be top dog, but has been left far behind by the better
Freeware sites.

Softpedia is an under-rated site. It sucks much less than average. :)

Use this URL to list the newest freeware (ignore the Weekly Highlights).
They go so far as to "certify" that most of their Freeware is free from
Spyware.

http://win.softpedia.com/index1.free.shtml

It has a very nice search feature, too. Easy to find what you need.

John Corliss

Bob said:
Nonags used to be top dog, but has been left far behind by the better
Freeware sites.

Not my point at all, Bob. I was merely remarking about the policy on
that page.
Softpedia is an under-rated site. It sucks much less than average. :)

Use this URL to list the newest freeware (ignore the Weekly Highlights).
They go so far as to "certify" that most of their Freeware is free from
Spyware.

http://win.softpedia.com/index1.free.shtml

It has a very nice search feature, too. Easy to find what you need.

I looked, but couldn't find a page with their policy regarding adware,
spyware and the like. But I've seen Softpedia before and downloaded from
them many times.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No
adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware,
viruses or warez for me, please.

antoine

George said:
I think http://www.snapfiles.com is pretty good though I have read
that the authors of the software frequently post user comments.

I consider snapfiles as the most reactive freeware (/shareware) site.
What's more software-ratings (I mean the stars) are most of the time
objective.

John Corliss

Bob said:
The disclaimer is on individual software description/download pages. Click
here and read near the bottom of the text body: (random link)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Encrypting/EncryptOnClick.shtml

"Softpedia guarantees that EncryptOnClick 1.1.2.0 is 100% CLEAN, which
means it does not contain any form of malware, including but not limited
to: spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors.

This software product was tested thoroughly and was found absolutely
clean, therefore it can be installed with no concern by any computer
user.However, it should be noted that this product will be retested
periodically and the award may be withdrawn, so you should check back on
this page from time to time."

Thanks Bob!

I wonder if the group should compile a list of good freeware sites and
their policies. Might even provide a list of BAD freeware sites and why
they are considered to be so.

--

John said:
"Softpedia guarantees that EncryptOnClick 1.1.2.0 is 100% CLEAN, which
means it does not contain any form of malware, including but not limited
to: spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors.

This software product was tested thoroughly and was found absolutely
clean, therefore it can be installed with no concern by any computer
user.However, it should be noted that this product will be retested
periodically and the award may be withdrawn, so you should check back on
this page from time to time."

Thanks Bob!

I wonder if the group should compile a list of good freeware sites and
their policies. Might even provide a list of BAD freeware sites and why
they are considered to be so.

The problem is that I doubt Softpedia tests every version of published
software ; therefore with Bob's example, someone very cautious could
fear that v1.1.2.0 is clean but v1.1.3.0 isn't necessarily. John, you
know that some software editors keep their product free and clean until
the latter get spread and widely used.

Bob Adkins

I wonder if the group should compile a list of good freeware sites and
their policies. Might even provide a list of BAD freeware sites and why
they are considered to be so.

I really like Fileforum:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/releases?num=50

Unfortunately, they do not discriminate too much. But,,, if they post a
program containing spyware, adware, or is crippled, the reviewer's really
bash it. Just look at the ratings. You can bet all the higher rated Freeware
programs are clean!

www.majoreeks.com is another good one. They usually specify up front if a
program is Adware, and refuse to post programs that harbor Spyware.

Susan Bugher

www.majoreeks.com is another good one. They usually specify up front if a
program is Adware, and refuse to post programs that harbor Spyware.

http://www.snapfiles.com/adware_spyware_concerns.html

<q>
Adware/Spyware and other download concerns
With the ever increasing distribution of adware/malware/spyware
components, you many be concerned about the risks of downloading
software from the Internet.

SnapFiles has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to
adware/spyware/malware or whatever you may want to call it. We do not
list any software that includes third party advertising or tracking
components of any kind. Every program you find on our sites has been
downloaded by us, installed on our machines, and (as part of the review)
tested for any type of malware and viruses, using several industry
leading products.

We are proud to maintain the highest standards when it comes to
downloading quality software products, and have been well known for this
for many years.

Acceptable Adware
We feature a very limited number of adware applications that are known
to not contain any tracking components or backdoor advertising methods
such as popups, browser modifications etc. These programs are marked as
"Adware" and merely contain a banner or textual ad display, similar to
what you see on just about any website.

Email address requests
In addition to the obvious malware criteria, we also reject any software
that requests your email address or other personal information before
you can use it.

<anip>
</q>

http://download.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/download.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=339

Download.com has a nice sounding policy. . . but I looked for some
known Adware/Malware apps a few months ago and found them. . . :(

Probably wise to do a little checking to *verify* the claims the sites
make before believing them. . . JMNSHO ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware