Excel Subtracting multiple columns from another column

Reaction score
Hi - please can you help me with a formula to minus multiple columns from another as this has got me stumped.

Basically, there are year totals of number of properties built per year in each column and I need to state units remaining to be built in the last column. So I need to subtract the year totals on each row and deduct this from the number of total units on that development. Thanks

e.g.
A B C D E
Scheme Total YEAR 18/19 YEAR 19/20 YEAR 20/21 Units Remaining
70 40 15 10 Formula = A -B-C-D = 5

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

The problem is that you also need to tell Excel which row the numbers are on. If you are placing your formula in row 2 (assuming your headings are in row 1) then your formula could be =A2-B2-C2-D2

If you have the same data in multiple rows, you can drag the formula down column E by clicking and dragging on the little dot in the bottom right-hand corner of the cell.

Hope this helps but let me know if you have any queries.

Reaction score
Thanks so much - think I was having a blonde moment as use Excel all the time! (must have been a long day). I was putting =sum first which was another issue

This has worked, thanks again

Ask a Question