Substitute of UltraEdit

n o s p a m p l e a s e

Is there any freeware text editor that lets one edit column wise?

Thanx/nsp

Susan Bugher

Kansas said:
"n o s p a m p l e a s e"
<[email protected]>:
Relatively small editor:
Xint
http://www.xtort.net/xtort/xint.php
(has a few minor flaws though)

Fully fledged UltraEdit alternative:
PSPad, an excellent piece of free software
http://www.pspad.com/en/
Latest beta version:
http://forum.pspad.com/read.php?f=6&i=3159&t=3159

hmmm. . . a column is a block. . . and there was a previous thread
about editors that could do block selections. . . here's the list of
apps that were mentioned:

Program: ConText
Author: (Eden Kirin)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#0154-PW

Program: Crimson Editor
Author: (Ingyu Kang)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#0169-PW

Program: ED
Author: Charles Sandmann
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#3915

Program: EditPad Lite
Author: (Jan Goyvaerts)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#0240-PW

Program: emacs
Author: Free Software Foundation
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#0905

Program: Jedit
Author: (Slava Pestov)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#0400-PW

Program: Notepad++
Author: Don HO
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#3908

Program: Notepad2
Author: Florian Balmer
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#3565

Program: NoteTab Light
Author: Fookes Software
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#0503-PW

Program: PSPad
Author: (Jan Fiala)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#0539-PW

Program: SciTE
Author: (Neil Hodgson)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#0651-PW

Program: Syn Text Editor
Author: (Ascher Stefan)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#0736

Program: vim
Author: Vim
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#0922-PW

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Musashi

In case someone else did not mention it,
do check out the excellent all Java based
freeware Arachnophobia
editor from Paul Lutus.

Mu

Demetris

n said:
Is there any freeware text editor that lets one edit column wise?
How-to for three I use, Notepad++, Notepad2, SciTE:

Alt+Mouse, or
Alt+Shift+Arrows

Greetings,
Demetris

Demetris

Azzman said:
Thanks, I am a Notepad++-user, wasn't aware of this.
You are welcome. :)

I don't think this hotkey is documented in any of the three editors. I
found out about it from the SciTE mailing list. Then I tried in the
other two (since all are based on Scintilla) and it worked.

Another hotkey I like a lot in Notepad++ and Notepad2 and I miss in
SciTE is Alt+Ctrl+ArrowUp and Alt+Ctrl+ArrowDown, to move a line up or down.

Greetings,
Demetris

jmatt

This may interest.

Text Magician
http://www.davidpye.com/freeware/
Edit text files the easy way. Join or split files while adding,
deleting or replacing text, change to upper or lower case,
capitalise all words or the start of all lines, add text to the
start or end of lines, remove leading or trailing spaces, add or
remove blank lines, remove text blocks, alphabetise lines in
file(s), split files at specified lines or text or into a specified
number of files, works on multiple files and on files of unlimited
size.

* Please report abuse to http://xinbox.com/sixfiles

jack horsfield

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:20:23 +0200, Demetris wrote:

you mean Ctrl+UP? scite uses that to move line without moving cursor.

jack
dlrow dednah-thgir a ni tfirda

Richard Steinfeld

Of all the programs that have been mentioned, I'm looking for one that
has the following characteristics that favor working with words as
opposed to working with code. Almost every "text editor" I've tried
flunks for word work. Here's what's so often missing from these
programs, and what I need:

- Plain ASCII file, just like MS Notepad.

- Standard WordStar keystrokes for move cursor by word right and left,
delete word right and left.

- Wrapping to a user-selected fixed, settable right margin in both
screen and printing.

- Proper wrapping of mid-word punctuation:

Examples:
This is proper mid-
word punctuation wrapping.

But a program that'
ll do this may be OK for a programmer, but it isn'
t acceptable for text ed
-iting work, even though this class of software is called "text
editors." Maybe we should stop calling these programs "text editors" and
rename them "Programmers
' Editors."

Ability to save files as _both_ paragraph terminated in line boundaries,
_and_ wrapped lines with every line terminated with line boundary
symbols. Typically in the DOS/Microsoft world, a line boundary is a
Carriage Return followed by a Line Feed. Unix and Macintosh are different.

- Sensible basic printer controls:
Page borders.
Standard header and footer controls (Left, Right, and Center fields with
optional code handling for page numbers, date, filename; and ability to
print the same header on each page.
Printing of both headers and footers, instead of one and not the other,
or neither.
Adjustable spacing between text and headers/footers.
Absense of funny stuff, like printing the name of the text program on
every page without any way to kill it.

- A good spell checker would be cool, but not required.

I'm bringing all of this up because these are examples of what's killed
every program I've tried so far.

On the other hand, perhaps I'm looking for a program under the wrong
category: maybe what I want is a "mini word processor." What I'm looking
for is the venerable PC-Write, but ported into an environmant that'll
handle long file names and nested directories.

If you've got one that'll do it all, please let us know!

Richard

Demetris

jack said:
you mean Ctrl+UP? scite uses that to move line without moving cursor.
Hello, Jack

Ctrl+(Arrow)Up just scrolls. What I mean is transposing the line; e.g.,
you hit Alt+Ctrl+(Arrow)Up five times to move the line on top of the
five lines before it.

Greetings,
Demetris

jack horsfield

ah, i see what you mean. yes that sounds rather useful. i'll make one of
those for myself (in Barry's Emacs)

it's interesting how simple the good ideas are. years ago i came across a
review of MAS-11 that said it had a mode in you type in insert mode when
the cursor is between words, and in overstrike mode when the cursor is in a
word. i wrote my own version and have used it for years... a favourite. i
think yours will get a lot of use too!

thanks

jack
comprehensively out-visions everything else on the market

jack horsfield

well, this does a line move up for me, so i'm happy :)

(defun
(move-line-up
~startcol ~text
(setq ~startcol (current-column)); remember original column
(beginning-of-line)
(set-mark)
(end-of-line)
(setq ~text (region-to-string)); copy text on line
(delete-to-killbuffer)
(delete-next-character) ; delete end-of-line character
(previous-line)
(insert-string ~text "\n")
(previous-line)
(while (< (current-column) ~startcol) ; go back to original column
(forward-character)
) ; while
(unset-mark)
)

) ; defun - move-line-up

RobbH

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:47:42 -0800, Richard Steinfeld wrote:
[snip]
On the other hand, perhaps I'm looking for a program under the wrong
category: maybe what I want is a "mini word processor." What I'm looking
for is the venerable PC-Write, but ported into an environmant that'll
handle long file names and nested directories.

If you've got one that'll do it all, please let us know!

I don't think it's quite what you have in mind, but you might take a look
at Eric Meyer's venerable VDE (Video Display Editor). It is now officially
freeware and is still maintained, although no support is offered.

It's still a 16-bit DOS program, but works under all flavors of Windows. It
does not use long file names, but it preserves them when saving text to
them (backup files and other files it creates are limited to 8.3 file
names). It supports nested directories, but probably not beyond the DOS
limit on path length.

I haven't actually used VDE since retiring my DOS-based palmtop, but I
depended on it for years and always found it reliable. It supports both
formatted plain ascii files and Wordstar files, and uses Wordstar editing
commands. There used to be a spell checker for registered copies, but it is
no longer available.

There is a web site, which was most recently updated in September:

http://short.stop.home.att.net/vde/vde.htm

Good luck!