Sub-categories workaround?

bsharp

I'm trying to create sub-categories for my contacts in Outlook 2007.

For example, the main category would be "Vendors" and then the
sub-categories would be carpet, paint, drywall, etc.

I realize that I can create categories like - "Vendors - Carpet" but then my
category list would be incredibly large. I have a lot of categories and
sub-categories.

One idea I had is to create a user-defined field with a drop-down menu, but
I can only select one item in that list. Some of my contacts fit into more
than one category and sub-category. For example, I like to flag my past
clients, and have them on a particular newsletter list, and also flag them as
a carpet cleaner.

1. Is there a way to select more than one item in a drop down list?
2. Is there another way to do sub-categories apart from the category list,
but still be able to sort on it?

Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook

Making new fields in Contacts can be very useful.

Maybe a Yes/No field for "Vendor" would work. Then you can do a double
grouping by using the Group By Box.

Drag Vendor and Category into the Group By Box. One of those groups will be
just what you want to find. The Group By Box is on the Advanced Toolbar.

Regards

Judy

bsharp

Thanks, I appreciate the effort.

I tried that, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

I can do it if I could select more than one item in a user-defined drop-down
list. Is that possible?

At the moment I've added several drop-down lists of more contact types, but
whenever I hit one that might have a duplicate with another entry, I have to
start another drop-down list.

For example, I'd like to flag someone as a past client, and as a newsletter.
But I can't choose both of these in a drop-down list. And I don't want all
these in my categories list.

Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook

I think you haven't made a multivalued field. Try the forms design
Newsgroup for guidance.

Judy

Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook]

Unfortunately, Outlook cannot group by more than one multivalue field.

bsharp, I think there's no workaround for sub-categories except the one you
already know. If your list is too large you might try Category Manager: It
gives you all categories in a sidebar, which you can size yourself.
Additionally, you can filter the category list. See the link in my signature
for a demo and more details.

--
Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

Am Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:30:00 -0800 schrieb Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook:

bsharp

Thanks, where would I find that newsgroup? I poked around but I kept finding
discussions about Access.

bsharp

Thanks, I may have to go that route.

Michael Bauer said:
Unfortunately, Outlook cannot group by more than one multivalue field.

bsharp, I think there's no workaround for sub-categories except the one you
already know. If your list is too large you might try Category Manager: It
gives you all categories in a sidebar, which you can size yourself.
Additionally, you can filter the category list. See the link in my signature
for a demo and more details.

--
Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook
Synchronize Color Categories & Ensure that Every Item Gets Categorized:
<http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?id=2006063&cmd=detail&lang=en&pub=6>

Am Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:30:00 -0800 schrieb Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook:

Brian Tillman

bsharp said:
Thanks, where would I find that newsgroup? I poked around but I kept
finding discussions about Access.

microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms

bsharp

I found the newsgroup you mentioned, and I have searched on several different
variations of multivalued, multi-value, multi-valued, etc. and I can't find
any info on how to create them? Is there another topic I should be searching
on?