stuttering audio

G

I'm running XP home, using an athlon TB 1000 in an asus A7V board with 1 gb of pc133 ram and a soundblaster live audio card..
I just updatred the bios to 1011 - no problems
Today I installed a maxtor 200 gb data drive - in order for the intire partition to be recognized by windows, I had to add an ata/133 card
After adding the card and partitioning and formatting the drive (ntfs) with masblast (took about 3 seconds - I was impressed!), when I play audio, the sound now stutters a lot
I get the same results with music match jukebox and with wmp
I watched in performance monitor - when the stuttering occurs, the cpu usage goes up to around 30%
The mouse also "stutters" at this time
thinking it might be a problem with the drive or contoller, I removed them and did a system restore - problem still exists
I put the ata/133 card back in and reinstalled it
There is very little running in startup in msconfig
I have 5 gb free on the 60 gb boot drive withe a 2-3 gb swap file
I tried ripping the audio card in device manager and letting windows reinstall it - same issue, stuttering audio
Disabling the anti virus tsr did not help, either
Any suggestions

U

usenetuser

I had EXACTLY the same problem with my SB Live 5.1 when I installed a WD
160Gb with a Promise controller. I was trying to use the drivers on the
diskettes, but they were buggy. Using the drivers on the XP CD solved the
problem.

G

Do you mean the drivers for the soundblaster 5.1
I've been using the XP native driver for that all along
I even removed it from device manager and let windows reinstall it, thinking that maybe the driver got dorrupted...no luck
Or do you mean the drive for the ata/133 card you are probably using?

Ask a Question