Stretch to fit?

For-Example

I have a 9800 Pro, XP and a Phillips 19" monitor.
Whenever I play older 640x480 games (not in a window), they draw in a small
box in the center of the monitor, lots of black space around them.

Can this be changed to stretch to fit somehow?

Interestingly a 640x480 Windows desktop, snaps to the edges fine.

Any tips would be welcome.

André Gulliksen

For-Example said:
I have a 9800 Pro, XP and a Phillips 19" monitor.

LCD, right?
Whenever I play older 640x480 games (not in a window), they draw in a
small box in the center of the monitor, lots of black space around
them.
Can this be changed to stretch to fit somehow?

Check the instructions for your monitor.
Interestingly a 640x480 Windows desktop, snaps to the edges fine.

How do you get 640x480 with Windows XP? I have not been able to do this
without third party software such as MultiRes.

For-Example

André Gulliksen said:
LCD, right?
Nope CRT. Philips 109/B6

Check the instructions for your monitor.

How do you get 640x480 with Windows XP? I have not been able to do
this without third party software such as MultiRes.

MultiRes.

André Gulliksen

For-Example said:
Nope CRT. Philips 109/B6

That's weird.

What happens if you try 640x480 compatibility mode? Right click the shortcut
and check out the compatibility settings.

For-Example

André Gulliksen said:
That's weird.

What happens if you try 640x480 compatibility mode? Right click the
shortcut and check out the compatibility settings.

Same thing, small window, black border (just like an LCD as others have
mentioned).

dk

For-Example said:
I have a 9800 Pro, XP and a Phillips 19" monitor.
Whenever I play older 640x480 games (not in a window), they draw in a
small box in the center of the monitor, lots of black space around them.

Can this be changed to stretch to fit somehow?

Interestingly a 640x480 Windows desktop, snaps to the edges fine.

Any tips would be welcome.

Have you tried adjusting the horizantel/vertical size and position from the
monitors menu. Most monitors remember settings depending on the mode being
used, so maybe it has been changed at some point or not set before.

André Gulliksen

For-Example said:
I have a 9800 Pro, XP and a Phillips 19" monitor.
Whenever I play older 640x480 games (not in a window), they draw in a
small box in the center of the monitor, lots of black space around
them.
Can this be changed to stretch to fit somehow?

Interestingly a 640x480 Windows desktop, snaps to the edges fine.

Which refresh rate do you get under Windows, and which do you get under the
various games? Have you tried forcing the games to use the same refresh rate
as Windows?

For-Example

André Gulliksen said:
Which refresh rate do you get under Windows, and which do you get
under the various games? Have you tried forcing the games to use the
same refresh rate as Windows?

I can get pretty well any rate up to 160Hz in 640x480.

I'm not sure how I would force the game to use this.
It's an old game Axis & Allies, circa 1997.

640x480 works fine in terms of fitting the whole screen but only in Windows.
With this 640x480 game, it runs in a tiny square in the center (like it's in
the center of a 1024x768 monitor).

For-Example

dk said:
Have you tried adjusting the horizantel/vertical size and position
from the monitors menu. Most monitors remember settings depending on
the mode being used, so maybe it has been changed at some point or
not set before.

It doesn't help, it only moves slightly within the center square, certainly
not out to the edge of the monitor. I've never seen anything like it.
800x600 games snap to the edge fine.

André Gulliksen

For-Example said:
I can get pretty well any rate up to 160Hz in 640x480.

I am not asking what you _can_ get, I am asking what you actually _do_ get.
Or rather, what the game utilizes or however you want to put it. Does it use
the same refresh as the desktop, or does it go to 60 hz?
I'm not sure how I would force the game to use this.

Try to go the Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Displays, select
your monitor and look at the Refresh Rate Override setting. Maybe this does
it, at least for Windows-based games.

If the game is DOS-based you may be able to force different refresh rates
with something like UniVBE or something.
It's an old game Axis & Allies, circa 1997.

DOS or Windows-based?

Michael W. Ryder

For-Example said:
I have a 9800 Pro, XP and a Phillips 19" monitor.
Whenever I play older 640x480 games (not in a window), they draw in a small
box in the center of the monitor, lots of black space around them.

Can this be changed to stretch to fit somehow?

Interestingly a 640x480 Windows desktop, snaps to the edges fine.

Any tips would be welcome.
Have you gone to the properties for the game and checked under the
Screen tab? There is an option to run them either in a window or full
screen. High Seas Trader, which is an old DOS era game, runs fine and
for some reason it is shown to be running in a window.

For-Example

André Gulliksen said:
I am not asking what you _can_ get, I am asking what you actually
_do_ get. Or rather, what the game utilizes or however you want to
put it. Does it use the same refresh as the desktop, or does it go to
60 hz?

If I press the [OK] button on the monitor that brings up the display
adjustments, it's running 640x480 @ 100Hz.
Try to go the Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Displays,
select your monitor and look at the Refresh Rate Override setting.
Maybe this does it, at least for Windows-based games.

I'll try that.
If the game is DOS-based you may be able to force different refresh
rates with something like UniVBE or something.

DOS or Windows-based?

Windows based. DX6.1 ish game.

For-Example

Michael said:
Have you gone to the properties for the game and checked under the
Screen tab? There is an option to run them either in a window or full
screen. High Seas Trader, which is an old DOS era game, runs fine and
for some reason it is shown to be running in a window.

Hmm, no such option under XP, that I can see.

For-Example

Michael said:
Have you gone to the properties for the game and checked under the
Screen tab? There is an option to run them either in a window or full
screen. High Seas Trader, which is an old DOS era game, runs fine and
for some reason it is shown to be running in a window.

Found the setting.

For-Example

André Gulliksen said:
I am not asking what you _can_ get, I am asking what you actually
_do_ get. Or rather, what the game utilizes or however you want to
put it. Does it use the same refresh as the desktop, or does it go to
60 hz?

It will got to 100Hz even if my desktop is 60Hz.

JLC

For-Example said:
I have a 9800 Pro, XP and a Phillips 19" monitor.
Whenever I play older 640x480 games (not in a window), they draw in a
small box in the center of the monitor, lots of black space around them.

Can this be changed to stretch to fit somehow?

Interestingly a 640x480 Windows desktop, snaps to the edges fine.

Any tips would be welcome.

I run stuff to my TV all the time from my PC. I use 800x600 and it fits my
new 20" Philips Flat screen TV near perfectly. I do have to stretch the
screen a little to make it fit. JLC

Thomas

For-Example said:
I have a 9800 Pro, XP and a Phillips 19" monitor.
Whenever I play older 640x480 games (not in a window), they draw in a
small box in the center of the monitor, lots of black space around
them.
Can this be changed to stretch to fit somehow?

Interestingly a 640x480 Windows desktop, snaps to the edges fine.

Are the refreshrates the same? This might be something to explore..

Nerevar

How do you get 640x480 with Windows XP? I have not been able to do this
without third party software such as MultiRes.

No need to use a third party tool as people are suggesting or use any kind
of compatibility mode...

Just bring up display properties, goto the settings tab, then advanced, then
click the adapter tab, click list all modes, and choose the one you want
(i.e 640*480) from the list.

For-Example

FIXED!

I removed the Philips 109-B6 driver used by XP and used the default
XP Plug and Play driver and it now draws 640x480 using the full viewspace of
the monitor!

Bizarre.