Stration Worm

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Having received three worm-containing e-mails in the past 24 hours, just thought it might be timely to warn that the "Stration" worm (also known as "Warezov") is doing the rounds. :mad: My first was caught and dealt with by AVG, but completely missed by my friend's Norton - whilst today, AVG has not picked-up on the two which arrived a short while ago. So please be vigilant folks. (I didn't open the e-mails by the way.)

I think that the two e-mails which haven't been detected contain a binary format or unicode (?) (Using Outlook Express, I highlighted the suspicious mails, then clicked on File>Properties>Details>Message Source from where I could see a lot of gobbledegook - apologies to the PC boffins around here.) I know that most of you recommend anti-virusware such as "AntiVir" for example, so would that or any of the others have detected these, do you suppose? Or would they have sneaked under the barn door anyway...? :confused: My definitions are bang up to date, by the way.

For good info on what to look out for, please click here

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning ...

I repeat TCs link ... please read it!

http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/fulldetails/id_vir/3090/worm_stration.af.html

They ain't much you can do but be vigilant with your emails and or change to another more secure email program such as Thunderbird ... or use a third-party email system such as Google where by you do not download emails. ;)

May I also remind you all that may be reading, this is a Worm not a virus ... Worms have become quite a nasty little parasite, not easy to detect and some are damn near impossible to clean-up.

Safe Surfing

user.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
I know that most of you recommend anti-virusware such as "AntiVir" for example, so would that or any of the others have detected these, do you suppose? Or would they have sneaked under the barn door anyway...?
Anti-vir probably would have "detected" and either cleaned or deleted the email.

Anti-vir is highly regarded in its detection of Worms & Malware not to mention Viruses ... I personally would not blindly recommend any product until I have done my own research and actually try-out that product.

Avg is good, but I prefer something on the next tier up on my Windows PC

In my personal opinion the list goes like this ...

NOD32 ... especially good on an older PC with Win98 & up
Kaspersky ... presently in use on my box
Anti-Vir ... this is the best FREE AV on the market. The other two are not free but do have trials. ;)

Anti-Vir still has the odd problem when updating the Defs ... not too surprised there as everyone is updating around the same time ... wait, try again, all will be well.

user.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you Mucks - have felt tempted to give Firebird a try, but just haven't got around to it yet. Just out of interest, would it work "alongside" OE (as Firefox does with IE6 or 7?) Thank you for the anti-virus programme recommendations too - I've been using AVG for about a year, and it was really only meant to be a stand-in whilst I changed from a previous (paid-for) anti-virus until I'd decided on a new one ...but found myself unable to decide (typical woman, I know!! :lol:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
You is more than welcome. ;)

I know I go on and on sometimes and nothing is 100% foolproof ... but if I find something that will give me an edge, then I plug it for all to see.

Thunderbird is so similar in design to outlook express, you'd think you're using the same product ... where it differs is, is in its ability to protect you better from yourself.

It ain't hard to setup ... download, install, run ... when asked to import your email address book, say yes ... I think it asks if you wish to make it your 'default' email client, say yes again ... and that is that. :D

There are a few extras in TB, if unsure, just ask. :thumb:

user.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks again for the good info Mucks :thumb: it certainly sounds good. I think I shall give it a go. :nod:

Ask a Question