Strange Display Related Problems - choppy mouse & video playback

TracyB

I have a P4-3GHz with 1GB RAM and a 256MB Nvidia Graphics Adapter
running XP SP2.
Over the last few weeks I've been facing a strange problem. My mouse
feels really jerky and the videos stutter around too. I have updated
graphics card drivers installed & DirectX 9.0c.

The problem is there all the time but strangely enough seems to
intensify when I switch my Motorola Cable Modem off or the connection
drops from the ISP's side.

And no, I don't believe I have any adware or spyware or viruses on my
system, I have more than one scanner in each category and my AV is
updated and running constantly. I scan regularly for spyware with 3
separate tools. The drives are defragged and the PC runs beautifully
other than these display related problems. I have got all the system
updates from MS. Just getting all this out so nobody misunderstands
the issue.

Today I seemed to get rid of the jerky PS2 mouse problem in a
roundabout way. I tweaked the registry and raised the PS2 sample rate
to the max (200) but that didn't help. Then I enabled mouse trails and
kept the trail at the shortest setting and Voila! - the mouse cursor
seems to run smooth but the video problems are very much there.

My DirectX is enabled - strangely enough when I do the directx tests
from dxdiag the rendering is choppy with directx enabled but gets a
lot smoother with it disabled. I have all the video codecs in place
too - the same videos used to run fine on my machine some time back.

There's lots of processor power and RAM to spare. I've set the display
to 75Mhz and even went through some BIOS info sites and made sure
nothing was set wrong. I've been struggling with this problem for a
long time and can't seem to find any ready solutions online even after
scouring the Net for hours. I had a lucky break today with the mouse
trails but the core problem remains. I'm sorry if this post is too
rambly (i'm sleep deprived) or if this is the wrong group but coz of
the nature of the problem I really don't know whether it's a hardware
or software thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I've run MS's memory diags on my system memory and got no errors.
The only thing left to do is to reinstall Directx but there's no
straightforward way to do that so am posting here before I try that as
a last resort....

TracyB

Just to clarify one more point - the hardware acceleration is set to
full and I've tried it with 'enable write combining' on and off but
it's the same old same old. I really am out of ideas! :(

DEAGO

Just to clarify one more point - the hardware acceleration is set to
full and I've tried it with 'enable write combining' on and off but
it's the same old same old. I really am out of ideas! :(

TracyB ;
I'm sorry but if you are not running anti-virus software,you will have
to buy a new hard drive!
I had the same problem in various manisfitations and it was a virus.
Nobody will own up to it but it resides on DVD disc's with movies on
them. Many are from WARNER studios.
You can not get help for it because all of the programmers are being
paid off.
The only thing we can do is buy a new hdd , install,and don't get old
DVD's ,CD's,even floppy's near the new hdd.
Also install a anti-virus software , which slows down your computer
but keeps the virous's out of your computer's heart.

TracyB

TracyB ;
I'm sorry but if you are not running anti-virus software,you will have
to buy a new hard drive!
I had the same problem in various manisfitations and it was a virus.
Nobody will own up to it but it resides on DVD disc's with movies on
them. Many are from WARNER studios.
You can not get help for it because all of the programmers are being
paid off.
The only thing we can do is buy a new hdd , install,and don't get old
DVD's ,CD's,even floppy's near the new hdd.
Also install a anti-virus software , which slows down your computer
but keeps the virous's out of your computer's heart.

I am running an antivirus program (always have) as I mentioned in my
Windows or DirectX setting that I'm missing. I also suspect it may
have been the security upgrade to Directx from MS that's causing it.
It wouldn't be the first time MS has 'upgraded' something, only to
break it totally.

Jim Macklin

This isn't a chat room and nobody knows what your problem
is!

<Andy> wrote in message
| Hi Tracy,
| I have exact the same problem since a couple of weeks. Did
all sorts of tests but can not find the solution either.
Have a Radeon 9800 pro, MSI motherboard, plenty of ram,
running viruskiller etc..