stop click with refresh

John Leeke

In FP2000 I am using:

to refresh a page. Upon every refresh there is a audio clicking sound. How
can I get a refresh without a click?

Thanks for your help.

John

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

I think you have to turn it off on your machine settings.

| In FP2000 I am using:

| to refresh a page. Upon every refresh there is a audio clicking sound. How
| can I get a refresh without a click?
|
| Thanks for your help.
|
| John

Steve Easton

That's a windows system sounds setting. Control Panel > Sounds and Multimedia > Sounds.
It is not controllable via a web page in a browser.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

John Leeke

Steve:

That was it, it was Start Navigation under Windows Explorer, and I was able
to turn it off, thanks.

But I expect that most all my site visitors will have the same annoying
click as a default.

This is an issue because I am setting up a page for "video conferencing"
that will have up to three frames refreshing every 10 seconds--that's a lot
of annoying clicking.

See it at:
http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/education/class/class.htm

Is there a way other than http-equiv="refresh" to update a picture on a web
page? I have a program (Gotcha!) that uploads an image file from a webcam
with a constant file name. So, I want that image to have an updated display
every 10 seconds.

Any suggestions?

Also, is it possible to get an image to refresh with a slow-disolve
transition instead of a quick blink?

John

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

no suggestion on the clicking.

but if you're using a webcam/software that automatically ftp's images up to your server you should put that in a subweb or the ftping will wack your FP server extensions.

| Steve:
|
| That was it, it was Start Navigation under Windows Explorer, and I was able
| to turn it off, thanks.
|
| But I expect that most all my site visitors will have the same annoying
| click as a default.
|
| This is an issue because I am setting up a page for "video conferencing"
| that will have up to three frames refreshing every 10 seconds--that's a lot
| of annoying clicking.
|
| See it at:
| http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/education/class/class.htm
|
| Is there a way other than http-equiv="refresh" to update a picture on a web
| page? I have a program (Gotcha!) that uploads an image file from a webcam
| with a constant file name. So, I want that image to have an updated display
| every 10 seconds.
|
| Any suggestions?
|
| Also, is it possible to get an image to refresh with a slow-disolve
| transition instead of a quick blink?
|
| John
|
| | > That's a windows system sounds setting. Control Panel > Sounds and
| Multimedia > Sounds.
| > It is not controllable via a web page in a browser.
| >

| > --
| > Steve Easton
| > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| > 95isalive
| > This site is best viewed............
| > .......................with a computer

| > > to refresh a page. Upon every refresh there is a audio clicking sound.
| How
| > > can I get a refresh without a click?
| > >
| > > Thanks for your help.
| > >
| > > John

John Leeke

Rob:
to your server you should put that in a subweb or the ftping will wack your
FP server extensions.<<

Thanks for the tip. I've probably upload the image a dozen times, for
testing. Do you suppose the extensions are already wacked? How could I tell
if they are wacked?

John

wrote in message | Steve:

| That was it, it was Start Navigation under Windows Explorer, and I was
able
| to turn it off, thanks.
|
| But I expect that most all my site visitors will have the same annoying
| click as a default.
|
| This is an issue because I am setting up a page for "video conferencing"
| that will have up to three frames refreshing every 10 seconds--that's a
lot
| of annoying clicking.
|
| See it at:
| http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/education/class/class.htm
|
| Is there a way other than http-equiv="refresh" to update a picture on a
web
| page? I have a program (Gotcha!) that uploads an image file from a webcam
| with a constant file name. So, I want that image to have an updated
display
| every 10 seconds.
|
| Any suggestions?
|
| Also, is it possible to get an image to refresh with a slow-disolve
| transition instead of a quick blink?
|
| John
|
| | > That's a windows system sounds setting. Control Panel > Sounds and
| Multimedia > Sounds.
| > It is not controllable via a web page in a browser.
| >

| > --
| > Steve Easton
| > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| > 95isalive
| > This site is best viewed............
| > .......................with a computer

| > > to refresh a page. Upon every refresh there is a audio clicking sound.
| How
| > > can I get a refresh without a click?
| > >
| > > Thanks for your help.
| > >
| > > John

Steve Easton

That particular sound is not enabled by default, it normally has to be enabled by a user.

Any particular reason you don't want to stream the conference??

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Kevin Spencer

Hi Steve,

There is a reason why this is a User-specific System setting, and not
programmable. It's called User choice. It is, after all, THEIR computer.
What may be annoying to you may be music to someone else's ears. And you
might be surprised how many people know how to set up their system just the
way they like it. In any case, as much as you would like to force your users
to hear what you want them to hear (or not hear), you can't in this case.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Steve Easton

Hi Kevin, did you mean John??

I for one have that sound turned on and always have. The little "tick" is my pop under indicator.
;-)

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Bob Lehmann

This type of FTPing is one of the exceptions to the rule.

Since the images being FTPed aren't actually part of the web - at least not
locally - they aren't managed by the extensions.

Bob Lehmann

wrote in message | Steve:

| That was it, it was Start Navigation under Windows Explorer, and I was
able
| to turn it off, thanks.
|
| But I expect that most all my site visitors will have the same annoying
| click as a default.
|
| This is an issue because I am setting up a page for "video conferencing"
| that will have up to three frames refreshing every 10 seconds--that's a
lot
| of annoying clicking.
|
| See it at:
| http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/education/class/class.htm
|
| Is there a way other than http-equiv="refresh" to update a picture on a
web
| page? I have a program (Gotcha!) that uploads an image file from a webcam
| with a constant file name. So, I want that image to have an updated
display
| every 10 seconds.
|
| Any suggestions?
|
| Also, is it possible to get an image to refresh with a slow-disolve
| transition instead of a quick blink?
|
| John
|
| | > That's a windows system sounds setting. Control Panel > Sounds and
| Multimedia > Sounds.
| > It is not controllable via a web page in a browser.
| >

| > --
| > Steve Easton
| > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| > 95isalive
| > This site is best viewed............
| > .......................with a computer

| > > to refresh a page. Upon every refresh there is a audio clicking sound.
| How
| > > can I get a refresh without a click?
| > >
| > > Thanks for your help.
| > >
| > > John

John Leeke

Steve:

Streaming would be nice. I have not studied it in a while, but my impression
is that it is costly. I have to pull together a simple conferencing page for
a wide range of users with easily access (no special programs to download
and install), using these existing resources: equipment (three 3com webcams
running on a Windows98 system, plus an XP system) and a zero dollar budget.
My plan is to upload a couple images every 10 seconds that include a head &
shoulders shot and a detail shot of hands-on work, along with one of the
free chat services.

Can streaming be done with these resources? (I've also got a Sony PC-110
camcorder, but it doesn't have video pass-through). Where can I learn more?

John

Kevin Spencer

Sorry, Steve. I did mean John. I tend to keep my sounds on as well, esp. for
Visual Studio.Net. Compiling can take awhile, and the sound lets me know
when it's done!

--
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer

John Leeke

Since the images being FTPed aren't actually part of the web - at least
not
locally - they aren't managed by the extensions.

I am developing the conference page locally, with an image file, then I
publish it to my remote hosting server, so FP knows that file name and the
jpg file itself is there. Then, during operation of the conference page, the
local program FTPs the new file with the same file name to the remote host
server. I guess it must be overwriting the existing jpg file on the host.
Will this whack the extensions?

I'm holding further development until I get this sorted out.

John

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

slightly ot.

you know what would be a good thread? a list of exactly what ftp activities WILL wack-out the FPSEs.

"Bob Lehmann" <none> wrote in message | > Will this whack the extensions?
| It shouldn't.
|
| Bob Lehmann
|
| "John Leeke" <JohnLeeke*remove*this*spam*blocker*@HistoricHomeWorks.com>
| wrote in message | > > Since the images being FTPed aren't actually part of the web - at least
| > not
| > > locally - they aren't managed by the extensions.
| >
| > I am developing the conference page locally, with an image file, then I
| > publish it to my remote hosting server, so FP knows that file name and the
| > jpg file itself is there. Then, during operation of the conference page,
| the
| > local program FTPs the new file with the same file name to the remote host
| > server. I guess it must be overwriting the existing jpg file on the host.
| > Will this whack the extensions?
| >
| > I'm holding further development until I get this sorted out.
| >
| > John

| > > Since the images being FTPed aren't actually part of the web - at least
| > not
| > > locally - they aren't managed by the extensions.
| > >
| > > Bob Lehmann
| > >
| > > "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)"
| <[email protected]>
| > > wrote in message | > > no suggestion on the clicking.
| > >
| > > but if you're using a webcam/software that automatically ftp's images up
| > > your server you should put that in a subweb or the ftping will wack your
| > FP
| > > server extensions.
| > >

| > > "John Leeke" <JohnLeeke*remove*this*spam*blocker*@HistoricHomeWorks.com>
| > > wrote in message | > > | Steve:
| > > |
| > > able
| > > |
| annoying
| > > |
| conferencing"
| > > lot
| > > |
| > > web
| > webcam
| > > display
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |

| > <JohnLeeke*remove*this*spam*blocker*@HistoricHomeWorks.com>

| > sound.

| > > |

Kevin Spencer

A shorter thread would be a list of what ftp activities WON'T wack-out the
FPSEs.

Or, people could just use FrontPage as it was intended to be used...

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

wrote in message slightly ot.

you know what would be a good thread? a list of exactly what ftp activities
WILL wack-out the FPSEs.

"Bob Lehmann" <none> wrote in message
| > Will this whack the extensions?
| It shouldn't.
|
| Bob Lehmann
|
| "John Leeke" <JohnLeeke*remove*this*spam*blocker*@HistoricHomeWorks.com>
| wrote in message | > > Since the images being FTPed aren't actually part of the web - at
least
| > not
| > > locally - they aren't managed by the extensions.
| >
| > I am developing the conference page locally, with an image file, then I
| > publish it to my remote hosting server, so FP knows that file name and
the
| > jpg file itself is there. Then, during operation of the conference page,
| the
| > local program FTPs the new file with the same file name to the remote
host
| > server. I guess it must be overwriting the existing jpg file on the
host.
| > Will this whack the extensions?
| >
| > I'm holding further development until I get this sorted out.
| >
| > John

| > > Since the images being FTPed aren't actually part of the web - at
least
| > not
| > > locally - they aren't managed by the extensions.
| > >
| > > Bob Lehmann
| > >
| > > "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)"
| <[email protected]>
| > > wrote in message | > > no suggestion on the clicking.
| > >
| > > but if you're using a webcam/software that automatically ftp's images
up
| > > your server you should put that in a subweb or the ftping will wack
your
| > FP
| > > server extensions.
| > >

| > > "John Leeke"
<JohnLeeke*remove*this*spam*blocker*@HistoricHomeWorks.com>
| > > wrote in message | > > | Steve:
| > > |
| > > able
| > > |
| annoying
| > > |
| conferencing"
| > > lot
| > > |
| > > web
| > webcam
| > > display
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |

| > <JohnLeeke*remove*this*spam*blocker*@HistoricHomeWorks.com>

| > sound.

| > > |

Steve Easton

That's easy.
ftp'ing to the root.

And in reality it's more a case of what FrontPage *doesn't* publish when you ftp than what it does
publish.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

slightly ot.

you know what would be a good thread? a list of exactly what ftp activities WILL wack-out the FPSEs.

"Bob Lehmann" <none> wrote in message | > Will this whack the extensions?
| It shouldn't.
|
| Bob Lehmann
|
| "John Leeke" <JohnLeeke*remove*this*spam*blocker*@HistoricHomeWorks.com>
| wrote in message | > > Since the images being FTPed aren't actually part of the web - at least
| > not
| > > locally - they aren't managed by the extensions.
| >
| > I am developing the conference page locally, with an image file, then I
| > publish it to my remote hosting server, so FP knows that file name and the
| > jpg file itself is there. Then, during operation of the conference page,
| the
| > local program FTPs the new file with the same file name to the remote host
| > server. I guess it must be overwriting the existing jpg file on the host.
| > Will this whack the extensions?
| >
| > I'm holding further development until I get this sorted out.
| >
| > John

| > > Since the images being FTPed aren't actually part of the web - at least
| > not
| > > locally - they aren't managed by the extensions.
| > >
| > > Bob Lehmann
| > >
| > > "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)"
| <[email protected]>
| > > wrote in message | > > no suggestion on the clicking.
| > >
| > > but if you're using a webcam/software that automatically ftp's images up
| > > your server you should put that in a subweb or the ftping will wack your
| > FP
| > > server extensions.
| > >

| > > "John Leeke" <JohnLeeke*remove*this*spam*blocker*@HistoricHomeWorks.com>
| > > wrote in message | > > | Steve: