Word Still unable to import images into Word 2002 from a Nikon D50

Reaction score
Has anybody got the answer to this one please? I have followed Terry Farrell's advice to another member and brought my Windows XP up to SP2 level, and I have SP3 on my Word 2002 package, yet I still cannot import, or cut and paste, pics from my Nikon D50 camera to MS Word. All I get is a square with a red cross at the top left hand corner. Hardware is an IBM G40 laptop. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Who's Terry Farrell? :confused:

What's the file extension of the imported pix?

And if you're trying to import the pix straight from the camera to Word, it may be an idea to import the pix toyour hard disk first and then put them into Word from there.

Reaction score
Thanks for the interest. Greatly appreciated.
Answers:

1. Having just done the research, Terry Farrell is a guy from "Microsoft Word Most Valuable Professionals" whose names appear all over the place on MS Word questions (www.word.mvps.org.)

I picked his name up from a Q and A which goes back a few years where he was saying this was a known problem and was fixed in MS Word SP1, but it isn't fixed in my case. I might send a note to him as well, now I know more about who he is.

2. It's a .jpg extension taken in JPEG+Fine mode on the camera.

3. In all cases the image has been imported to the hard disk via Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3 and either transferred into Word directly from "My Pictures" (i.e. not from Photoshop) using the "insert" command, or cut and pasted from My Pictures to the MS Word document. The image won't open in MS Word when it's imported from Photoshop either, but I suspect this is simply because its a library lookup table, not a separate path.

Images taken on Canon cameras open successfully.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I have found that if I convert the Nikon jpegs to .tif or .gif files they get imported successfully, so that's what I will do in future. Not the perfect solution but one I can live with. Thank you to people who got me thinking about this. I'll close this thread down in a couple of days.

Ask a Question