Word still no page numbers in Word 2007 - tried the Building Blocks.dotx fixes!

Reaction score
Someone please help me before I throw my computer across the room. I'm running Word 2007 on XP. When I try to insert page numbers, I get the error message that says "Word cannot open the document template (C:\...\1033\Building Blocks.dotx)"

From everything I've found on the web, the fix for this is to either: 1) delete the Building Blocks.dotx file from my Applications Data folder, then close and reopen Word, forcing Word to regenerate a new Building Blocks.dotx file which will then be uncorrupted; or 2) open both the Building Blocks.dotx file in my Applications Data folder, and the Building Blocks.dotx file in the Program Files folder (which is supposed to be the default), move the file from the Applications Data folder to another folder so Word won't find it, and then copy the default Building Blocks.dotx file from the Program Files folder into the 1033 folder in my Applications Data folder (where the corrupted dotx file was).

Okay, folks - I've tried every variation of this I can think of. I've open and closed Word and rebooted my computer so many times my fingers are sore, and I still get the same freakin' error message.

Does this mean the so-called default version of that Building Blocks.dotx file - the one in the Program Files folder - is also corrupted? If so, what can I do about that?

BTW, I tried to register for Microsoft's newsgroups so I could post this question there as Microsoft suggests, but their registration system is down...why am I not surprised?

Arrgh. Help. Please, help...

Reaction score
Thanks, SlimJim - I tried their free download, and got a warning that it was coming from an unknown publisher, which I don't usually get, so I've held off on running it for now.

In the meantime, I'm using Open Office Writer, which seems to have everything I need for the kind of documents I write.

Ask a Question