static


P

philo

a real nice winter day here
and after shuffling across the carpet and walking near
my computer...it's rebooted twice today...
presumably from static electricity.

the machine is well grounded...but i had left the USB compact
flash reader plugged into one of the front USB ports.

on a hunch i unplugged it ...
and now after building up a lot of static...the machine is not
rebooting.

apparently the thing was acting as an antenna!


is anyone else having static too...
or am only i the lucky one?
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

Mike Walsh

Having lived in the frozen north I can tell you that there are thousands of people who are having static problems. The only way to avoid it is to get a humidifier and take out the nylon carpet.
 
P

philo

Mike Walsh said:
Having lived in the frozen north I can tell you that there are thousands
of people who are having static problems. The only way to avoid it is to get
a humidifier and take out the nylon carpet.
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Ah, Florida !!!!

Anyway ...I turned up the humidifier a bit and am trying to to shuffle
across
the carpet so much... So far I have not caused any re-boots!
 
W

w_tom

Reboots may only be a symptom of something more serious.
That static electric shock today can result in hardware
failures tomorrow or next month. Humidifier is where hardware
protection starts.
 
R

Ralph Mowery

a real nice winter day here
and after shuffling across the carpet and walking near
my computer...it's rebooted twice today...
presumably from static electricity.

Take a spray bottle and put some fabric softner in and spray the carpet.
 
M

Mike Walsh

A static discharge can cause erratic behavior, reboots, hangs, etc. , even when no physical damage is done to the equipment. A discharge can also damage solid state components, making them unreliable and/or shortening their life. In some cases a component will be instantly destroyed by a single static discharge, usually through a keyboard, mouse or some other point where the operator makes contact.
One of the advantages of working on electronic equipment in Florida is I don't have to deal with static problems every winter.
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

philo

Mike Walsh said:
A static discharge can cause erratic behavior, reboots, hangs, etc. , even
when no physical damage is done to the equipment. A discharge can also
damage solid state components, making them unreliable and/or shortening
their life. In some cases a component will be instantly destroyed by a
single static discharge, usually through a keyboard, mouse or some other
point where the operator makes contact.
One of the advantages of working on electronic equipment in Florida is I
don't have to deal with static problems every winter.


Yeah...but we don't have alligators up here in Wisconsin :)

BTW: turning the humidifier up just a little bit has solved the problem.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top