startups gone bad

K

keepout

Possibly in the past I used msconfig, and left it on custom startup. Viewing the startups and everything, it would seem things bypassed my custom settings, and re-installed the stuff I wanted to quit running ie:Qtask. now has 3 entries. All set to load.

What I'm looking for is the registry key for the XP pro startups so I canPERMANENTLY remove these problems.
I have these keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
but they don't have even have half of the programs listed.
I can only toggle the programs in msconfig. And then have to leave it setto custom boot. And I now know the toggling does squat. They just re-install in the registry. And leave things at custom boot.

Also had a new problem when I reset things to normal startup. It now tells me I have to log in as admin [Already am and always have been] because a service will not allow me to change it when hitting apply or enter on the msconfig.

E

Elmo

Possibly in the past I used msconfig, and left it on custom startup. Viewing the startups and everything, it would seem things bypassed my custom settings, and re-installed the stuff I wanted to quit running e.g., Qtask now has 3 entries. All set to load.

What I'm looking for is the registry key for the XP pro startups so I can PERMANENTLY remove these problems.
I have these keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
but they don't have even have half of the programs listed.
I can only toggle the programs in msconfig. And then have to leave it set to custom boot. And I now know the toggling does squat. They just re-install in the registry. And leave things at custom boot.

Also had a new problem when I reset things to normal startup. It now tells me I have to log in as admin [Already am and always have been] because a service will not allow me to change it when hitting apply or enter on the msconfig.

The programs that reinstall themselves need to be stopped within the
preferences or settings section of the individual programs. Right-click
the utility in the tray area, and see what options are available.

Ask a Question