Start Menu - All Programs - All users/Current user (Default user)

Gary

Due to a policy setting that was apparently changed on the
NT 4.0 SP6 PDC, all computers, all users including local
users on the local machines now will not display the
contents of the "%system_root%\documents and settings\all
users\programs" directory and will only display the
current users' custom menu/installed programs.

I'm looking for the local policy editor "gpedit.msc" or
registry settings for the reconfigureation of the menu.

Coul it also be a change in rights on the above directory
(ies)?

Thanks,

Gary
909-328-6281

Vivien Wu [MSFT]

Hello Gary,

Do you mean that all users do not display the contents in "C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs"?

If you log on as an Administrator, can you view the programs in
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs"? Please create a
new Administrator account and test if the problem occurs with the new
account.

Thanks.

--------------------
| From: "Gary" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Start Menu - All Programs - All users/Current user (Default user)
| Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:02:20 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

| Due to a policy setting that was apparently changed on the
| NT 4.0 SP6 PDC, all computers, all users including local
| users on the local machines now will not display the
| contents of the "%system_root%\documents and settings\all
| users\programs" directory and will only display the
| current users' custom menu/installed programs.
|
| I'm looking for the local policy editor "gpedit.msc" or
| registry settings for the reconfigureation of the menu.
|
| Coul it also be a change in rights on the above directory
| (ies)?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Gary
| 909-328-6281

Sincerely,

Vivien Wu
MCSA, MCSE2000 and MCDBA2000
Microsoft Partner Online Support

When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so

Vivien Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for clarify the issue.

You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
location to check the Start menu features:

User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar

The option "Remove common program groups from Start Menu" can remove items
in the All Users profile.

For related information, check the article below.

292504 Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=292504

Thanks.

--------------------
| From: "Gary" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Start Menu - All Programs - All users/Current user (Default
user)
| Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:19:51 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
|
| It is a setting that affects all users of the machine,
| even new users as it must set some or overwrite some local
| policy. There seems to be no fix as I have asked
| everybody. the only way is to relaod the maching from
| scratch or use some sort of "go-back" utility to restore
| registry before the change.

| >|
| >| I'm looking for the local policy editor "gpedit.msc" or
| >| registry settings for the reconfigureation of the menu.
| >|
| >| Coul it also be a change in rights on the above
| directory
| >| (ies)?
| >|
| >| Thanks,