Star Wars Pod racer and NTFS

Colin

I installed pod racer when I had my XP home partitioned as Fat32 and it
worked fine. I decided to change my c: partition from Fat32 to NTFS using
Partition Magic 7. Now when I try to run Pod Racer it goes to a black
screen, I can hear the game but no video. I really don't want to reinstall
XP just to get this game to work. Does anyone have any suggestions or
understand why this happened?

Thanks for your info
Colin

Jimmy S.

Hi Colin,

Have you tried reinstalling just the Pod Racer game?

Here's how to properly install or reinstall a game (and/or patch):

1. Backup any saved games and/or mods to a safe location.

2. Uninstall the game using Control Panel / Add-Remove programs.
* Manually delete the game folder or saved games if necessary.

3. Clear any references to the game leftover in your registry using:
http://www.webmasterfree.com/regcleaner.html

4. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

5. After a reboot close & exit your Antivirus and any other programs
using this method: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=331796

6. Install the game again from your original CD, do not use a backup.

7. Don't reuse the saved games/mods until you properly test the game.

This should solve the problems completely. Good luck Colin! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| I installed pod racer when I had my XP home partitioned as Fat32 and it
| worked fine. I decided to change my c: partition from Fat32 to NTFS using
| Partition Magic 7. Now when I try to run Pod Racer it goes to a black
| screen, I can hear the game but no video. I really don't want to reinstall
| XP just to get this game to work. Does anyone have any suggestions or
| understand why this happened?
|
| Thanks for your info
| Colin

Nick Kritselis [MS]

Colin,

Lucas Arts technical support offers a suggestion that might help to
work-around the issue you are seeing with Star Wars - Episode 1 Racer.
There is a patched exe file for Star Wars - Episode 1 Racer that corrects an
issue similar to what you are describing (except it's a white screen, not a
black screen). I don't know if this will resolve your issue, but it's worth
a try. If this doesn't work, you can always uninstall the game and
re-install it to get the original exe file back.

Lucas Arts support - http://support.lucasarts.com/trg/xp/swep1racer.htm

Star Wars: Episode I Racer

White Screen Lockup

NOTE: A new executable file for the game "Swep1rcr.exe" is available to
address this issue. We recommend that you download the new exe file for the
game from the LEC FTP site.

Simply copy or save this file into your Racer folder on the harddrive (the
default location is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\RACER). When you are asked if
you want to overwrite the existing Swep1rcr.exe file, select "Yes". Then try
playing the game once more to see if the new file corrects the problem.

Colin

Hi Jimmy, I tried your suggestion and no luck. I'll try Nick's suggestion
next. Also just so you know the registry cleaner you suggested is a time
limited trial version(They are quite sneaky about it, you have to read the
licensing agreement just to find out it's a 30 day trial, and then they
don't tell you how much you have to pay to keep it.) if you know of a free
version or shareware that would be most helpful.

Thanks for your suggestions
Colin

Colin

Thanks I'll try that.

Colin

I'm sure there's at least one freeware version at downloads.com
however the one I suggested will get this job done professionally. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Hi Jimmy, I tried your suggestion and no luck. I'll try Nick's suggestion
| next. Also just so you know the registry cleaner you suggested is a time
| limited trial version(They are quite sneaky about it, you have to read the
| licensing agreement just to find out it's a 30 day trial, and then they
| don't tell you how much you have to pay to keep it.) if you know of a free
| version or shareware that would be most helpful.
|
| Thanks for your suggestions
| Colin
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Colin,
| >
| > Have you tried reinstalling just the Pod Racer game?
| >
| > Here's how to properly install or reinstall a game (and/or patch):
| >
| > 1. Backup any saved games and/or mods to a safe location.
| >
| > 2. Uninstall the game using Control Panel / Add-Remove programs.
| > * Manually delete the game folder or saved games if necessary.
| >
| > 3. Clear any references to the game leftover in your registry using:
| > http://www.webmasterfree.com/regcleaner.html
| >
| > 4. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
| > / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
| > the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.
| >
| > 5. After a reboot close & exit your Antivirus and any other programs
| > using this method: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=331796
| >
| > 6. Install the game again from your original CD, do not use a backup.
| >
| > 7. Don't reuse the saved games/mods until you properly test the game.
| >
| > This should solve the problems completely. Good luck Colin! :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > | worked fine. I decided to change my c: partition from Fat32 to NTFS
| using
| > | Partition Magic 7. Now when I try to run Pod Racer it goes to a black
| > | screen, I can hear the game but no video. I really don't want to
| reinstall
| > | XP just to get this game to work. Does anyone have any suggestions or
| > | understand why this happened?
| > |
| > | Thanks for your info
| > | Colin
| > |
| > |

Jimmy S.

Hi Colin,

According to jv16.org, the Reg Supreme is 12.95 or
the full set of Power Tools is 29.95. Glad to help! :)
http://www.macecraft.com/php/content.php?lg=en&id=products

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| OK, thanks. Do you know how much the one you suggested costs?
|
| Colin
|

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Colin,
| >
| > I'm sure there's at least one freeware version at downloads.com
| > however the one I suggested will get this job done professionally. :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| suggestion
| > | next. Also just so you know the registry cleaner you suggested is a time
| > | limited trial version(They are quite sneaky about it, you have to read
| the
| > | licensing agreement just to find out it's a 30 day trial, and then they
| > | don't tell you how much you have to pay to keep it.) if you know of a
| free
| > | version or shareware that would be most helpful.
| > |
| > | Thanks for your suggestions
| > | Colin
| > |