SpywareBlaster 3.2 Just Released......

me

PS.......You will see it mentions 'protecting
Mozilla'......seems to me that folks here are saying
Mozilla, et al, is better than IE.....hmmm.

Hey, one should not confuse marketing BS w/ reality. ;)

BTW, good to "see" you back!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Heather:
Again......personal opinion only and I am quite happy with my
well-protected IE. That is a possibility you anti-MS folks haven't
considered (protecting it, I mean)......but no doubt you all will
disagree with me.

I'm not an anti-MS person.. well, not too much, but you could say I'm
a pro-be-smart person. I use Win2K, Visual FoxPro, and some parts of
Office.

You must admit IE is weak.

I've had a "protect yourself" page for IE for a couple years:
http://bshagnasty.home.att.net/browsersettings.htm
...which, due to the lack of updating, is still current.
I may try out the ones you all are touting, but not out of
paranoia. (G)

Whatever trips your trigger... ;-) You may really like them. I can
understand newbies not knowing they can switch, but you seem like an
informed person who would relish the idea of having a more secure
computer. You don't have to be paranoid to do this, just smart. <g>

Heather

Hey, one should not confuse marketing BS w/ reality. ;)

BTW, good to "see" you back!

Thanks "J"......over the jet lag now and trying to catch up, grin. The UK
was excellent......and I think I hit every major castle, church and henge I
had planned on doing. Not to mention pubs, etc. (G) Bloody expensive
country tho.....for a Canadian.

Cheers......Heather

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Heather:
Frankly, the security concerns are concerned with XP......I still
use ME and haven't upgraded, partly due to that. Ideally I would
prefer to dual boot, or upgrade this P3, or get a larger hard
drive.....so those concerns come first.

IE 6 with ME is just as bad a browser as it is with XP, though ME
doesn't have the additional holes of XP machines without firewalls and
so forth.
But I still say that I don't get the security problems that you all
are talking about. I think I have had 3 browser hijackers......no
trojans, no viruses.....in 3.5 years. So that is why I am not
terribly concerned.

3 browser hijackers... I've had no browser hijackers, no trojans, no
viruses, ever. And I didn't dump IE/OE until 2002.

charles

I also run all three, installing SpywareBlaster just last week. How does
this prog work if it doesn't remain resident and works when closed? I don't
understand the principle.

SpywareBlaster works for Mozilla and Firefox by writing entries into
their cookperm.txt or hostperm.1 files (depending on Moz version I
think). These are Moz native files that implement the integrated popup
and cookie permissions in the browser.

Heather

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Quoth the raven Heather:

IE 6 with ME is just as bad a browser as it is with XP, though ME
doesn't have the additional holes of XP machines without firewalls and so forth.

3 browser hijackers... I've had no browser hijackers, no trojans, no
viruses, ever. And I didn't dump IE/OE until 2002.

Browser hijackers didn't appear until 2002 roughly. So I guess we are about
even on that score. I did take a look at the Mozilla page, but not sure if
it is better than Firefox, etc. I am willing to give it a try, maybe, but
still don't have any problems with IE that I am aware of.

Besides, I am not crazy enough to argue with someone with a name like
yours.......LOL!!

XX Figgs

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Heather:
Browser hijackers didn't appear until 2002 roughly. So I guess we
are about even on that score. I did take a look at the Mozilla
page, but not sure if it is better than Firefox, etc. I am willing
to give it a try, maybe, but still don't have any problems with IE
that I am aware of.

You'd likely be happy with either. Be sure to try tabbed browsing.
Besides, I am not crazy enough to argue with someone with a name
like yours.......LOL!!

Well, there ya go!

clifto

Heather said:
Never.......I am running Spybot at the moment as new detection rules came
out for it.....nothing turned up (as usual)......but I believe that is
because I use the Immunize function in it, along with Spyware Blaster.

Keep running that stuff. Yesterday I told my dentist not to bother looking
for an update, they hadn't had one since mid-June (he's on dialup, and
he's nontechnical, checking just slows him down). Found nothing. I stopped
by later, and checked; fresh update, and it found FOUR objects with the
new rules.

So you can be stoopid like I was, or you can find the intruders. You did
right to run it.

Heather

clifto said:
Keep running that stuff. Yesterday I told my dentist not to bother looking
for an update, they hadn't had one since mid-June (he's on dialup, and
he's nontechnical, checking just slows him down). Found nothing. I stopped
by later, and checked; fresh update, and it found FOUR objects with the
new rules.

So you can be stoopid like I was, or you can find the intruders. You did
right to run it.

Thanks, Clifto.......but you were not 'stoopid'.....lots of people don't
even use AdAware or Spybot or SpywareBlaster. Perhaps your dentist should
put SpywareBlaster on.....seems to do a very good job on my computer!!

Cheers.....Heather

Heather

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Quoth the raven Heather:

You'd likely be happy with either. Be sure to try tabbed browsing.
So which do you recommend I try? Remember, I am using WinME, and it gets
'cranky' sometimes with programs. Perhaps I will try out Firefox as I think
Shane is using it and he has ME, I assume.

Figgs

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Heather:
So which do you recommend I try? Remember, I am using WinME, and
it gets 'cranky' sometimes with programs. Perhaps I will try out
Firefox as I think Shane is using it and he has ME, I assume.

Firefox is a good choice. It's the 'browser only' component of
Mozilla. Its companion mail/news app, Thunderbird, is nice as well.

Try it... you can't harm your computer, and it should work well with ME.

BoB

don't understand the principle.

Sure.......ask me something complicated when I am just back from a holiday
in the UK.....grin!!

From one of the Spyware websites......

SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.
Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser
hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without
interfering with the "good side" of the web.<<<

I am assuming that it is in the Registry.....but others here can correct
me......Silj, explain this one!! <g>

I monitored the install of Spyblaster 3.2 using InControl5 and
registry changes indicated:

Keys deleted: 1889
Values deleted: 3027

After the install and update to SB32, it put the latest entries
back into the registry.
Cheers......Heather

PS.......You will see it mentions 'protecting Mozilla'......seems to me that
folks here are saying Mozilla, et al, is better than IE.....hmmm.

I have to keep IE6/OE6 updated on my wife's machine as she prefers
to use them. I prefer FireFox 0.91 as I can click a tab and visit
the same 10 forums everyday. Java off/on and clearing the cache is
two clicks in FF. Agent for NGs and email. With no need for server
functions etc, we remain loyal to Win98SE.

Security wise, since I determine the settings that she uses, neither
machine has ever been infected and Adaware never finds any spyware.
She remains a newbie out of lack of interest and just hollers when
something is questionable, like "Scotty is barking at me" [WinPatrol].
Learning Safehex was a 'requirement' for her, prior to using her new
computer.

WP and SB are both worthy of donations!

BoB

Shane

So which do you recommend I try? Remember, I am using WinME, and it gets
'cranky' sometimes with programs. Perhaps I will try out Firefox as I think
Shane is using it and he has ME, I assume.

afaik, Figgs, it's fine in ME. But I've only got it in XP. Then for the most
part I only use XP these days.

So how did you find the UK? Did you step off the plane and there it was?

Shane

me

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

So which do you recommend I try? Remember, I am using
WinME, and it gets 'cranky' sometimes with programs.
Perhaps I will try out Firefox as I think Shane is using it
and he has ME, I assume.

Figgs
Hi Heather,

Firefox works fine on W95. Methinks WinMe should hadle it with
no problems.

Heather

Thanks to all 3 of you (Shane, Shagnasty & J).......I will have a look at
it.

Cheers......Heather

Heather

Shane said:
afaik, Figgs, it's fine in ME. But I've only got it in XP. Then for the most
part I only use XP these days.

I am now at the decision point re putting XP on here. I am seeing that some
programs are not geared to ME anymore. So much for dual booting!! 8-((
Still thinking of upgrading the CPU and so on......have to talk to my
friendly tech at the store where I bought it.
So how did you find the UK? Did you step off the plane and there it was?

Oddly enough, Glasgow was waiting for me at 6:30 AM!! Grabbed some
breakfast at the airport and the rental car and then drove 2 hours to a town
between Dumfries and Lockerbie.......to the ancestral homestead. Neat!!
Built in 1790.

I will write you and tell you all about it. You are now forewarned!! <g>

Figgs

Maebhe Ryan

Heather said:
Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Quoth the raven Heather: [.....]

You'd likely be happy with either. Be sure to try tabbed browsing.
So which do you recommend I try? Remember, I am using WinME, and it gets
'cranky' sometimes with programs. Perhaps I will try out Firefox as I think
Shane is using it and he has ME, I assume.
Opera and Firefox are good. Be sure not to install additional
Browser-Extension, if you want to keep them safe & slender.
Both have tabbed browsing, popup-blocker and _NO_ Active-X.

Regards,
°****°Maebhe

Shane

Heather said:
I am now at the decision point re putting XP on here. I am seeing that some
programs are not geared to ME anymore. So much for dual booting!! 8-((
Still thinking of upgrading the CPU and so on......have to talk to my
friendly tech at the store where I bought it.

Oddly enough, Glasgow was waiting for me at 6:30 AM!! Grabbed some
breakfast at the airport and the rental car and then drove 2 hours to a town
between Dumfries and Lockerbie.......to the ancestral homestead. Neat!!
Built in 1790.

That'd be a liquid breakfast?
I will write you and tell you all about it. You are now forewarned!! <g>

I look forward to it.

Shane