SpyWare Doctor

I have just finished doing a 'Spam-check' on my computer using the free scan
online software 'Spyware Doctor' and it as detected 226 infections? I have
also scanned using my usual Spam-Ware 'Ad-Aware SE' and 'Spybot Search and
Destroy', and they both show a clean computer? The Spyware was recommended
by the Gadget TV program last night, so I thought I would give it a try as I
had just cleaned my computer of two viruses. The Spyware Doctor Software
costs £19.95 to download online. Is it worth a using or a waste of money?
Thanks for any advice.

Ron Lopshire

I have just finished doing a 'Spam-check' on my computer using the free scan
online software 'Spyware Doctor' and it as detected 226 infections? I have
also scanned using my usual Spam-Ware 'Ad-Aware SE' and 'Spybot Search and
Destroy', and they both show a clean computer? The Spyware was recommended
by the Gadget TV program last night, so I thought I would give it a try as I
had just cleaned my computer of two viruses. The Spyware Doctor Software
costs £19.95 to download online. Is it worth a using or a waste of money?
Thanks for any advice.

Scottie,

See this:
(news://news.your-net.com:119/[email protected])

Ron :)

milou

I have just finished doing a 'Spam-check' on my computer using the free scan
online software 'Spyware Doctor' and it as detected 226 infections? I have
also scanned using my usual Spam-Ware 'Ad-Aware SE' and 'Spybot Search and
Destroy', and they both show a clean computer? The Spyware was recommended
by the Gadget TV program last night, so I thought I would give it a try as I
had just cleaned my computer of two viruses. The Spyware Doctor Software
costs £19.95 to download online. Is it worth a using or a waste of money?
Thanks for any advice.

IMHO, it's a piece of garbage.
I used it to do a full scan.

First it claimed to have found "a bug" which it wanted to send to
their website as a bug report.
The bug was
exception message : Access violation at address 0050AFE3 in module
'SWDOCTOR.EXE'. Read of address FFFFFFFF.
The bug report contained the above line, was 316 lines in total,
showing most of my PC's configuration.
I stopped the sending ot it.

The 2 hour scan proceeded.
It claimed to have found some Brilliant Digital infections, and please
pay up to remove them.
The files [ b3d ] were in fact Body Paint 3D files and IrfanView
files, which I certainly do not want to remove.

Pay £ 19.95 to remove legitimate stuff? -> a piece of garbage which I
have now uninstalled with Your Uninstaller 2006 to remove any trace of
Spyware Doctor.

milou

[...]

David H. Lipman

From: "<<Scottie>>" <[email protected]>

| I have just finished doing a 'Spam-check' on my computer using the free scan
| online software 'Spyware Doctor' and it as detected 226 infections? I have
| also scanned using my usual Spam-Ware 'Ad-Aware SE' and 'Spybot Search and
| Destroy', and they both show a clean computer? The Spyware was recommended
| by the Gadget TV program last night, so I thought I would give it a try as I
| had just cleaned my computer of two viruses. The Spyware Doctor Software
| costs £19.95 to download online. Is it worth a using or a waste of money?
| Thanks for any advice.

I don't use it but see what response you get by posting this in...
alt.privacy.spyware

Ron Lopshire

Robert said:
Does not work; gotta be a subscriber to *them*.

Robert,

Sorry about that. When I click that link using Netscape 7.2, it opens
in my browser. It shows the a.p.s post, even though I am not able to
follow the thread, of course, but I can use it to find the thread in
my newsreader if I want. I have never had much luck with NG links.

I will repost the info here in a.c.a-v. Note that the more evolved
amoung us, such as Heather, probably don't need any of this stuff. ;)

When combating spyware, the multi-layered approach appears to be most
popular. Note that this is not true with respect to AV applications or
Personal Firewalls, one of each will do just fine. Here are a few
links that I have put together.

Some popular anti-spyware apps:

MSAS Beta - real time protection, nightly scan
(http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx)
Spyware Blaster - site blocking
(http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html)
Spyware Guard - real time protection
(http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html)
Ad-Aware - on demand scanning, frequent updates
(http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/)
a2 (a-squared free) - on demand scanning, frequent updates
(http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/)
Ewido Security Suite - on demand scanning, frequent updates
(http://www.ewido.net/en/download/)
Spybot S&D - on demand scanning, frequent updates
(http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/)

All of the above are freeware apps, and most can be upgraded to a
professional version for a fee. Most payware anti-spyware apps are
about $30 USD, which includes a one or two year subscription. Among
the more popular pay applications are:

Spyware Doctor from PC Tools:
(http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/)
Spy Sweeper from Webroot:
(http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/spysweeper)
PestPatrol from CA (eTrust):
(http://www.ca.com/products/pestpatrol/)

Use a HOSTS file for blocking malware sites. Many people in the
Security/Paranoia NGs use MVPs and/or hpGuru's HOSTS files together
with a HOSTS file utility like HostsMan or Hostess. Some general HOSTS
File Information:

Creating/Modifying HOSTS Files:

HOSTS File - BT Shagnasty
(http://k75s.home.att.net/hostsfile.txt)
HOSTS File - Dan Pollock
(http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/)
HOSTS File - Gorilla
(http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/)
HOSTS File - hpGuru
(http://www.hosts-file.net/downloads.html)
HOSTS File - Mike
(http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html)
HOSTS File - MVPs
(http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm)
HOSTS File - Peter Lowe
(http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/)
HOSTS File - Shorty
(http://hostsfile.mine.nu/)

Each of the above sites provides a HOSTS file in addition to providing
a wealth of information about the use of a HOSTS file, DNS servers,
the DNS client, etc.

Managing the HOSTS File:

HOSTS File Utilities - CIP HOSTS file manager by Radsoft
(http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cipfree.html)
HOSTS File Utilities - HiJackThis by Merijn
(http://www.merijn.org/index.html)
HOSTS File Utilities - Hoster by Funkytoad
(http://www.funkytoad.com/hoster.htm)
HOSTS File Utilities - Hostess by Ray Marron
(http://www.raymarron.com/hostess/)
HOSTS File Utilities - HOSTS File Manager by MVPs
(http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftMain.htm)
HOSTS File Utilities - HOSTS Manager by Aldo Vargas
(http://www.aldostools.com/hosts.html)
HOSTS File Utilities - HostsMan by abelhadigital
(http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/)
HOSTS File Utilities - Hosts Toggle by Mike Meyer
(http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hoststoggle.html)

In addition to a HOSTS file, specific to MS IE:
Eric Howes' IESPYAD:
(https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm#IESPYAD)
Eric Howes' Enough is Enough!:
(https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource6.htm)

A few caveats about using anti-spyware apps:

1) All anti-spyware apps (software and definitions files/databases)
MUST be kept current. Sources of update information (thanks FL) include:
Newsgroup - alt.privacy.spyware
Newsgroup - grc.news.latestversions
(http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar)
(http://www.filehippo.com/)
(http://www.versiontracker.com/windows/)
(http://cws.internet.com/updates/1-d.htm)

2) Keep your MS OS updated:
(http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us)

3) NEVER, EVER download any software from ANY site not authorized by
the software developer.

4) Some general anti-malware info:
The best defense against crapware is Safe Hex:
(http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html)
Fighting malware:
(http://shplink.com/misc/FAQ.htm)
Eric Howes' site, the definitive word on spyware:
(http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm)

Always check Eric's site before downloading/installing ANY
anti-spyware tools/applications.

Ron :)

Heather

Art said:
Heather confuses modernity (indoor plumbing) with evolution :)

LOL!! I forget what I said. Was this the "wink wink" fellow?? He who
cruises salacious sites?

Ron Lopshire

Heather said:
LOL!! I forget what I said. Was this the "wink wink" fellow?? He who
cruises salacious sites?

Heather,

Not me, my wife keeps me on a short leash. FYI, in the a.c.a-v thread
"NOD32, Kaspersky, e-trust, or Avast?", you wrote:

"ROFL!! That is because we are *more evolved*, wink wink!!"